「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 19, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #168,496 of 177,745
  For Science deadly? No, for me.

Looks like that shield(?) is welded onto the lightning connector body, and is that a laser etched serial number?

Well, time for some lunch and then it's dremel time.

Haha, can't wait for the results!
biggrin.gif

Installed Windows on my server machine to do some testing... here's my obligatory Shizuku-chan screenshot:

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #168,499 of 177,745

Looks like there's a 338S00140 in there, it wasn't used anywhere in other phones so we don't know what it is/does because it's their own part number.

It still works just fine, if I'm really bored I may look for the inputs to see if it is receiving an analog line out from the phone or whether that IC is handling it. At least we know for sure it's not a dumb dongle that just passes the analog out, as confirmed by my previous distortion measurements. It's either doing DAC+amp work or just amp...we'll see.

It's all potted and tiny, gonna be pretty fiddly to probe, I might not be able to do it as I've used up all of my loli high dexterity power just tearing it apart without breaking it. 
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #168,500 of 177,745

Looks like there's a 338S00140 in there, it wasn't used anywhere in other phones so we don't know what it is/does because it's their own part number.

It still works just fine, if I'm really bored I may look for the inputs to see if it is receiving an analog line out from the phone or whether that IC is handling it. At least we know for sure it's not a dumb dongle that just passes the analog out, as confirmed by my previous distortion measurements. It's either doing DAC+amp work or just amp...we'll see.

It's all potted and tiny, gonna be pretty fiddly to probe, I might not be able to do it as I've used up all of my loli high dexterity power just tearing it apart without breaking it. 
tongue.gif

Very nice!

and yeah potting is pretty effective discouragement, trying to reverse engineer that stuff never ends well for me.....

is that a flip-chip on the 2nd pic?

how much does one of these cost btw?

I might actually get an iPhone SE later this year to experience iOS, the last time I had an i-device was the iPod touch (gen 2) and that one drowned in the rain years ago.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #168,501 of 177,745
Well it IS a relatively less used device/theme in anime and It's a breath of fresh air compared with everything else back when it first aired so it's understandable?

The only other notable anime example I could think of is Steins;Gate.

Just look at the recent stuff, which came out like Erased or even Orange. A) It's hard to execute, because you have to establish some arbitrary rules for it and B) it makes for a easy way-out tool. The writer can modify and progress the story even when it makes no sense, which ultimately kills any sense of character depth, as they are just a tool in the great scheme of things. In Steins;Gate it worked (somewhat) because we had inside on how it rules where laid out, but the show had it's own issues due to being adopted from an VN. Now back to Re:Zero. I don't see any critical depth in almost any shows of the last 1 1/2 years or so. I just cannot give something a positive outlook, when in core essence is nothing more than a show for self-fulfillment fantasy.
Nowadays, Animu relies too much on it's Audio-Visual backbone, which consequently makes me feel like an idiot, when trying to turn on my own brain. Mindless fun, with some story/info dumping bits to pace the visual aspects is just not good enough in my book to be a great watch. Re:Zero does excatly that: A random average dude gets into a fantasy land, in which he can respawn infinitely. Finds his waifu, goes have fun. Has a unknown constant looming. Get's killed multiple times (People die when they are killed! ...wait). Screams. Edgey visuals. Repeat.

Different strokes for different folkes, I guess.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #168,502 of 177,745
Just look at the recent stuff, which came out like Erased or even Orange. A) It's hard to execute, because you have to establish some arbitrary rules for it and B) it makes for a easy way-out tool. The writer can modify and progress the story even when it makes no sense, which ultimately kills any sense of character depth, as they are just a tool in the great scheme of things. In Steins;Gate it worked (somewhat) because we had inside on how it rules where laid out, but the show had it's own issues due to being adopted from an VN. Now back to Re:Zero. I don't see any critical depth in almost any shows of the last 1 1/2 years or so. I just cannot give something a positive outlook, when in core essence is nothing more than a show for self-fulfillment fantasy.
Nowadays, Animu relies too much on it's Audio-Visual backbone, which consequently makes me feel like an idiot, when trying to turn on my own brain. Mindless fun, with some story/info dumping bits to pace the visual aspects is just not good enough in my book to be a great watch. Re:Zero does excatly that: A random average dude gets into a fantasy land, in which he can respawn infinitely. Finds his waifu, goes have fun. Has a unknown constant looming. Get's killed multiple times (People die when they are killed! ...wait). Screams. Edgey visuals. Repeat.

Different strokes for different folkes, I guess.

What strokes you the right way?

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #168,504 of 177,745
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Aominus?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Not really up to date, but should give enough inside.

Mhm, yes, that's enough inside.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #168,505 of 177,745

and yeah potting is pretty effective discouragement, trying to reverse engineer that stuff never ends well for me.....

is that a flip-chip on the 2nd pic?

how much does one of these cost btw?

Yuup it's probably a BGA package, there's no probing that. 
tongue.gif

$9 or so, no biggie.

The conformal coating seems impervious to IPA and a quick swipe of a 300C iron, which means it's likely to be Polyurethane, I have a bottle of Acetone somewhere......

On my first picture the bottom of the three gold probe points is the 3V power rail, the other two seem like common, I don't know for sure, I'd have to solder some wires to the points so I can hook up a scope.
There's no guarantee the points are the inputs from the connector, I couldn't buzz them out, so I think there may be some additional circuitry inside the connector itself. One side might be the power and authentication circuitry, and the other for audio.

My spectrum analyser is out of commission (this ain't a damn RF lab =P), so I cannot take a probe/antenna to the connector and sniff out a 44.1 or 48khz stream or maybe the oversampling DAC, not to mention it's too close to the phone so it might be pointless.

Might put my feet up and let chipworks or ifixit take it from here. Show's over boys. 
cool.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #168,508 of 177,745
Meh. I still don't see why he's head over heels for Emilia (I'm not in that camp either though) but sure, why not.  
It felt like the anime went downhill the past few episodes. Then they just stopped explaining quite a few things.

Also I'm pretty sure there are 6 sin archbishops with 4 remaining (Pride doesn't exist; they killed the entire Sloth camp and Gluttony). I think the original source material is still going on (correct me if I'm wrong) but the way the anime ended it seemed like happily ever after once the whole ordeal with Sloth was done.
Still don't like Subaru though.

91 Days is still fantastic, Orange's episode this weekend was a little confusing.

Tales of Zestiria I don't really understand where this storyline is going completely, then again I'm really only watching b/c ufotable.

Shokugeki I would be a bit more excitied about had I not read all of the currently released manga already.

Mob Psycho 100 is in the same situation as Shokugeki.

Danganronpa 3: Future arc is pretty boring. It's the same rinse and repeat as the games which I've seen a few of already (TheOddOne) so that's going to get less and less exciting each time.

Despair arc though is pretty insane. If you've seen the previous games or just saw a few episodes of Future arc you know that things will take a turn for the worst in Despair arc, just when and how we don't know exactly. Some of the episodes go from 0-100 (absolutely no warning). There are some mind numbing scenes (felt like I was watching Mirai Nikki again). Pretty good series.

Also, new Uchouten Kazoku airing sometime soon. Quite excited.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #168,509 of 177,745
@Tales of Zestiria

Yesh!!
While I have been liking the series, it just doesn't seem possible poi to fit nicely into a season with that pacing..
Gonna support s1 bluray box :D

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #168,510 of 177,745
So I went to a Kraftwerk concert yesterday with Netforce and gang. Interesting stuff. It's not really my kind of music to listen to but it was fun to see how the genre evolved since the 70s and how influential they've been. Hearing that they came back from the 70s, I was expecting more analog equipment (Moog, Korg, etc.), but alas no one could see what they were actually doing. For all we know they could have been pretending to play the synth since they were shielded by a podium thing. lol

Ladytron was influenced by them and I really like this music video.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84_3CCqvljA[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back