☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 21, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #2,296 of 5,932
Excerpt from the Guru review:

"The Carbon offers balanced input and output. In fact, there are no single-ended inputs. Even the RCA and TRS inputs are run through phase splitters to generate an opposing phase. Alex did this because he wanted everybody to receive the benefits of balanced input, even if their DACs were not capable of such. So no matter what source you use, you’re getting balanced input with the Carbon"

So would you folks say that there is still any benefit of using a balanced input versus RCA, or would either yield about the same result? For the output I'll be using a SE headphone cable initially but plan to upgrade to a balanced later.

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #2,297 of 5,932

"The Carbon offers balanced input and output. In fact, there are no single-ended inputs. Even the RCA and TRS inputs are run through phase splitters to generate an opposing phase. Alex did this because he wanted everybody to receive the benefits of balanced input, even if their DACs were not capable of such. So no matter what source you use, you’re getting balanced input with the Carbon"

So would you folks say that there is still any benefit of using a balanced input versus RCA, or would either yield about the same result? For the output I'll be using a SE headphone cable initially but plan to upgrade to a balanced later.

I would think that the XLR interconnect would still provide better noise rejection. Whether it would make an appreciable sonic impact ... I'm not sure till I hear it for myself :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #2,298 of 5,932

I can't really comment on that because my DAC is RCA out, even my new 2Qute which everyone loves with the Carbon is a RCA connection. As for the headphone out, go balanced, its worth the investment in my opinion. 

I'm gonna crash guys. I've had a long day and I'm up only because of insomnia
Nght

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #2,299 of 5,932
How would the relatively cheap AMB Gamma2 DAC pair with the LC?

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #2,300 of 5,932
  Ok guys, we're going to play a little game. I just got the publishing date for part II of the Carbon. Guess what the date is and you could win the grand prize of having Warren Chi fly down to your city and move in with you for the next month. He likes chocolate by the way so if you win stock up on lots of kit kats and three musketeers. Also buy some ear plugs because he snores. If you have a wife and kids send them off on vacation, Warren likes to wander around the house in his g-string. In the event there's a tie the true winner will be settled Mad Max style in the thunderdome.

TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES!!!

Am I eligible to take part in this contest? :wink:

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #2,301 of 5,932
Seems to me, a better single ended DAC well sound better than a lesser balanced DAC.
just got my cable for my HEK, balanced for LC with adaptors for single ended and for balanced Pono from Norne. Actually works really from Pono balanced...now waiting for the LC!

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #2,302 of 5,932

Arly seems to have forgotten that I have a...

I love the smell of ban hammer in the morning. 
smile.gif

I say a temp ban for Arly, till he posts part 2....

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2,303 of 5,932
+1 temp ban for Arly until Warren approved the part 2 of the review! :wink:

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,304 of 5,932

I've been reading this debate for years, and I'll finally be able to experiment with it myself, using both balanced and SE out of my Benchmark DAC-1.  I even have a balanced cable on the way for my Primes.  It's going to be a fun month when I get the LC!

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #2,305 of 5,932
Ok guys, we're going to play a little game. I just got the publishing date for part II of the Carbon.

Hmm... The LC will release late next month (Oh crap! Just realized I have to update my shipping address!!!), and I bet Frank loves to build the hype, but there's only a finite production run for the foreseeable future, which could run out of inventory at any moment (but adds to HYPE!). So, I'm going to guess somewhere in the middle... Tomorrow? LoL! If I can have two guesses/entries (want that prize!), I'd guess August 7. Wednesday and Friday, respectively! Prime time slots!

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,306 of 5,932
Also, preeeeeeeetty sure that Alex and Warren said the Liquid Carbon has both SE and Balanced inputs. I could see you arguing that after making an input connection the signal is universally separated to balanced operation for the amping stage, but I think it's more helpful and accurate to say that the actual jacks/sockets are balanced or SE type (I don't have a unit in front of me, I believe it was 4-pin XLR and RCA input jacks?) for people like me who will probably need to but the right cable. Thanks.

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #2,308 of 5,932
Also, preeeeeeeetty sure that Alex and Warren said the Liquid Carbon has both SE and Balanced inputs. I could see you arguing that after making an input connection the signal is universally separated to balanced operation for the amping stage, but I think it's more helpful and accurate to say that the actual jacks/sockets are balanced or SE type (I don't have a unit in front of me, I believe it was 4-pin XLR and RCA input jacks?) for people like me who will probably need to but the right cable. Thanks.

The input jacks on the LC are RCA and 3.5mm TRS plug (for single-ended) and 3-pin XLR (for balanced). There's a button on the front that allows you to select BAL or SE (the 3.5mm and RCA are wired together).

The outputs are 1/4 TRS (for SE) and RSA and 4-pin XLR (for balanced). 

Cheers 

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,310 of 5,932
Exactly, thanks! It just seems significant that there are SE and Bal inputs and a selector.

I'm guessing the selector is there not only to direct the signal the right place but also so the circuit knows to go ahead and split the SE into two phases. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back