Got a quick audition at a local store just now. Even a chance to compare it w/ the L1 side-by-side. Boldly to say that the aesthetic is improved. The orange part is not ugly at all, as it may hint at the 1st glance. More "young" and "sporty", not to mean at all a sport headphone. The bulit quality is also better than the predecessor, obviously more refined and rigorous and extremely durable. About the sound, Philips is success in increasing the details. It is more live-like, overall. The mids are so clear. The bass sounds more natural w/ good impact but, sadly, less textured than the L1 (at least to my ear in that brief audition). IF there be any disappointment of this headphone, it may come from the highs. To my preference, Philips set them a bit too high. The highs become sibilant to some recordings (I would prefer the highs of L1). It is not a breakdealer, I guess. The overall value of this product is very good, and maybe even more when someone take the quality:price ratio into consideration. If I have to spend 300 USD for this, I will be highly satisfied.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productPhilips Fidelio L2tagged by joe, 3/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Fidelio L2 - like new condition with no blemishes Last post on 10/26/14 at 4:07pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance? Last post on 10/19/14 at 6:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Philips Fidelio L2 - review and comparison with (a lot of) other headphones Last post on 9/25/14 at 9:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Philips Fidelio L2 Last post on 7/21/14 at 3:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- How are the Audio Technica ATH WS99 & Philips Fidelio L2, Are they good? Last post on 9/14/14 at 2:20pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
“You know, I’ve never owned any Schi….um, any of your products..” I was saying to Jason Stoddard in LA in March. Indeed, the last time I’d sampled anything from his company was years ago at a meet...
I am new to head-fi and this is my first ever review. Basically I joined head-fi to read people's expert opinions on different products, as I'm not an audiophile and do not know much about the...
Alessandro Music Series MS1i Black Walnut Cups $169 Big thanks to JoeDoe of Head-Fi as he performed the cup installation as well as the swapping out the headband. I paid a little more for mine...
Value: I got these for $207 and at twice the price they'd be a great buy. Sound: If the next sentence seems defensive, it's not. it's an assertion of the sound quality of the HD598s. I've been in...
I'll refrain from writing an extensive review this time, as everything important has already been shown and written down in the other reviews here on head-fi. I second those opinions and can...
Philips Fidelio L2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I wish it was coming out a little earlier instead of feb 2014 for the US but time flies.
What ways would you say it improves just from your quick listen? I am hoping the midrange is good. I read it has better treble and the bass extends further. Someone else posted that it's treble is a little overdone (my paraphrase on what they said).... also with details that best the x1!!!.. I hope that isnt just from the treble.
As far as looks go... it looks decent. Looks don't seem like a huge improvement over the l1 but at the same time they didn't need to improve much. The l1 is one of the best looking cans out along with the x1 imo.
Edited by grizzlybeast - 10/20/13 at 1:21am
HiFiGuy, do you think the earpads are removable? How is the isolation, seeing that these are semi-open?
What a shame that they are not replaceable. When the pads get worn out, out the headphones go, unless you can find a DIY solution to replace them.
Can I make anyone happy with my impression of the Philips Fidelio L2? They're widely available here in the Netherlands (being that Philips is a Dutch company).
Just note, I am returning these, but that's purely because of comfort, as the earcups are too small for my ears (they're about 59mm long, my ears about 65mm). But let me tell you how they sound :)
So the soundstage is quite wide. I've never owned or heard open headphones before, so this was my first experience with such headphones. They're marketed as semi-open, so it does block out a little bit of outside noise (but not much, definitely doesn't compare to a closed headphone). So also in terms of leakage other people will be able to hear you, especially in quiet environments.
The bass is very taught and well controlled, yet delivers plenty of it when the music calls for it. It's not boomy or bloated, just very tight. The mids are slightly upfront (take this 'upfront' bit with a grain of salt, my ears might only have been used to headphones with recessed mids, I've never heard true neutral headphones before) but sound very nice. Vocals have a nice airy quality to it. The treble is also very crisp and pleasant. It got a bit harsh with some bad recordings, but otherwise it sounded great. There is also loads of detail in the music, in part because of the nice treble in the headphones. I heard new bits in some songs I hadn't heard before (not that it's not there with other headphones, but I just never really noticed because it was more in the background). I think this headphone will be a winner for a lot of people :)
They sound more like the fidelio x1 with a smaller soundstage and more isolation. The l1 was one of the most uncomfortable cans I've owned because of both the small earcups and crazy clamping pressure. It seems those issues have returned. Thanks for the impressions! Now I'll look more into the k545 and HP50. I always though I had a small head and smaller ears but now that I know that the Momentum is way too small, the K550 fits on my head,and the a900x almost (lol, how could this fit anyone's head?!) fits on my head (and the 1r's pads are too thin), I can't take any chances. Thanks again.
- Philips Fidelio L2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 second ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 10 seconds ago
- › Pellet 3d Printer ? 15 seconds ago
- › Havi B6 ! 30 seconds ago
- › Icon Audio HP8/MP 3 49 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by harshkamboj
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones by LMNproyect
- › ASUS Xonar Essence ST Headphone 7.1-Channel Audio Card for Audiophiles by Vartan
- › Wireless Stereo Headset by Bugattikid2012
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)