hmm, I don't have any problems with them being bass machines, as long as the rest is as good :)
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSony Hybrid Black In-Ear Headphones - XBA-H1tagged by nightmancometh, 9/10/13
- productSony XBA-H3 In-eartagged by getclikinagas, 12/20/13
- productXBA-3 - XBA Series Triple Driver Balanced Armature In Ear Earphonestagged by getclikinagas, 12/20/13
Related Forum Threads
- Is anyone wearing the Sony XBA-H2? Last post on 1/26/15 at 5:02am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- earphones got wet.. Last post on 2/9/15 at 6:42pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FS: Sony XBA-H3 Last post on 2/2/15 at 1:09pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- XBA-H3 vs. XBA-Z5...thoughts? Last post on 8/2/15 at 2:42am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Audiologist in Paris for custom molds on XBA-H3 Last post on 12/21/14 at 7:46am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
First off, these were supplied to me for review by Pandora at Brainwavz for my honest and unbiased opinion, my thanks to them for their trust in me to do this. Here is a link to them on Amazon...
At the time of the review, the Brainwavz Jive earphone was was on sale at Amazon’s website for $25.00 USD. Here is a link to Their listing of the...
You got a budget? You want Bluetooth Earphones? Buy the Qy7. Simple. Done. Easy. There is a little more to it though. Important features is the V4.1 Bluetooth connection, this...
What is Cozoy Aegis?: Did you remember Cozoy Astrapi DAC/AMP? Well this is the brother of it Aegis (right) Aegis (left) and Astrapi (right) Cozoy Aegis is a...
You probably already know OPPO as a smartphone brand, but the company called OPPO Digital isn’t exactly the same. It is the American sister company of the Chinese smartphone company, and its main...
Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Impressions are coming in from Japan, I've been reading that these are being referred to as "Bass Machines"
Pics comparing the XBA-H3 with the MDR-EX1000 below:
Somebody please do a translation of the review. (Google translation is poor)
Let me know when you get them. i will be coming round your house with a bucket load of IEMs, loads of tips and a pair of tweezers ;)
Translating this was a bit difficult as I wasn't used to some of the grammar and sentence structure he employed. I would have rather left out a comment or two (particularly one about the fit ), but I tried to stay as true to the source as possible.
(Translator's note: I believe he's referring to the XBA-H3 for the first part)
Isolation: between MDR-EX500 (on the low end) and UE900
Microphonics: virtually none
Sound: depends on source. When connected to the XPERIA Z, sound is V-shaped with bass emphasis. The iPhone 5 makes the sound more balanced and closer to neutral. Seems to be best with lower impedance sources.
Treble extension is good and soundstage is wide. The bass is slightly bloated when compared to the EX1000, but extension is far better, down to 30-50 Hz.
Miscellaneous: The housing is quite large and sticks out much more than the EX1000, so those who disliked the way the EX1000 fit would hate the H3's fit even more. Women may have trouble wearing it. The fit is reminiscent of the TF10.
The XBA-H3's isolation is improved compared to the EX1000, and the serration cord eliminates most cable noise.
When comparing to the EX1000, the XBA-H3's bass is deep and has good transparency in the high frequencies; the treble extends beautifully and displays a high level of acoustic polish.
Unlike many hybrids that lack cohesion between the dynamic and BA drivers, the H3's drivers are well-tuned and balanced.
If I were to make any improvements, I would prefer the vocals to be a touch more forward, and the bass to be slightly toned down.
This earphone presents a good middle ground between the EX1000 and TF10 as it would appeal to those who like both a thicker sound or a leaner one; the H3 has a sound that combines the EX1000's articulate bass with the thickness and transparency of the TF10.
[About the MMCX connector:]
The connector has a locking mechanism that should eliminate plug rotation, minimizing breakage. The downside is that recabling may prove difficult.
[About the housing:]
As stated earlier, one negative of the H3 is its large housing size. Also, the housing looks surprisingly cheap. The photos posted here illustrate the large size of the housing.
About the XBA-H2: the acoustic balance isn't good. It's like Sony took the graininess of the EX1000's treble and combined it with the lack of clarity of the XBA series. Then add in tons of bass.
The H2 has lower resolution than either the H1 or H3, and I'm hoping that they'll fix the 7kHz peak before the H2 is released. Not sure if source synergy will play a role like it did with the H3.
My impression of the H2 is almost as bad as the time I got to try out an early sample of the XBA-4.
The XBA-H1 has good transparency and has fixed the lack of treble extension of previous XBA models.
However, the treble still disappoints like the XBAs. [Translator's note: He doesn't really go into specifics here]
The bass is quite good. The H1 may be the best value out of the XBA-Hx range, and may be a choice for those who feel they want something more polite sounding than the H3.
Edited by kjk1281 - 9/5/13 at 4:25pm
all of those three are interesting, but the XBA-H3 is the most interesting - coming from those impressions, it should be ideal for my tastes. it's weird though that the H2 is less refined compared to the H1...
Agree! By judging at the impression, my mind is more drawn towards the XBA-H1 xD the more polite sound
- Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › PS1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr (230V) with 6H23P-EBs tubes 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › Portaphile 627X 4 minutes ago
- › DAP Challenge Chart (Including 23 Portable Sources, Sony ZX2 added.... 5 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › SRH940 Headband replacement/Fixing/Alternatives 6 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Kidwavz KV100 Childrens Bluetooth Volume Limited Headphones by dragon2knight
- › Brainwavz Jive by Hisoundfi
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by BloodyPenguin
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by Baycode
- › OPPO HA-2 by ClieOS
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2