Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- New York Audio Show 2014 Last post on 9/28/14 at 9:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on 9/24/14 at 2:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for gym use Last post on 9/22/14 at 3:49pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack Last post on 9/19/14 at 12:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- I am looking for upper class gaming Headphones? Which one? I posted some ideas. Last post on 9/24/14 at 8:18am in Video Games Discussion
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Since I was among the early adopters of this updated 2.0 version of R3, I already posted a detailed review with pictures in the original R3 review thread. Therefore, I'm just going to provide a...
Im probably like you right now, I was once reading reviews a bunch of comments, watching a bunch of videos of what to purchase... and everyone kept suggesting the ATH-M50x, so in a frantic search...
First I'd like to thank Brainwavz for the opportunity to review these. As others did, I received a review pair to keep. It was a very generous gesture. Plenty of people have already posted all the...
Comply foam tip should need no introduction at this point, as it has become a norm for many brand name IEM to include a pair of them. But what we are talking here is something new – or should I say...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 508
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I just had a short, but interesting listen to the Alpha Dogs. I was listening the "Lock Howl" off of the Storm Corrosion Blu-Ray on my main speaker system (Ohm Micro Walsh Talls with an Emotiva sub). This is definitely an inexpensive but exquisite set-up that has amazing detail and soundstage. Anyway, I was listening to the DTS-Master mix, and said to myself, "It's too bad my headphones can't sound this good."
I stopped the track, put the Alpha's on, and played it again. I still under-estimate these headphones, even though I've had them since the first batch went out late last year. True, they can't compete to the open, room-filling sound of omni directional speakers like the Ohm's, but then again, nothing can.
But it was all there- the soundstage, the detail, the sound of the pick on the strings of the guitar. Even the imaging was spot-on (for a headphone).
Anyway, I am expecting the Grado GS1000 e's tomorrow, and I'm on the tour for the Hifiman HE-560's, which are due to me in about 3 weeks. I'm going to put the Alpha's against both of these high-end cans, and write an review/comparison. I notice there aren't very many reviews for these so far, and it's time I added my 2 cents.
Here's a link to the song, if anyone's interested:
Have a great night!
Mine went from processing to shipped within 11 hours.
I think i'm getting something similar, only on some frequencies, maybe it's an ortho driver thing
I have never heard of a high frequency mechanical noise, please pm me with details and let's see if that can be figured out...
Got an older pair of Alphas, and I must say the hype is real. The details are fantastic, and the mids and bass are life-like. I don't think mine has the treats, and yes, the highs could be piercing at some point, or even sibilant, but I believe the treats will treat them (will order them soon).
The finishing on these headphones are really top notch. They are just beautiful headphones, and precisely manufactured. The comfort is fantastic, and it is very easy to fit them on my head with a great seal.
My wife commented on how good these headphones looked, and when I gave it to her for a listen, she went through three songs before she gave it back to me (she normally listens to one song and that was it). She's a classically trained pianist, and plays many other instruments as well, so she has way better ears than mine. Her first comment was that they sound very detail, and that the songs sounds "higher pitch" than normal (she means bright), so it pretty much goes in hand with every body else's opinion.
One note of caution though, I was driving them out of an iMod with a quickstep, so it's not the best set up.
Compared to my Koss ESP-950 with Stax SRM1/MkII set up, the alpha dogs seems to be even more details, but the sound isn't as warm and musical as the Koss. The bass of the Alphas hits a little harder, but the Koss just has more presence. The mids on both are equally great, and the Koss seems to have more natural highs. Sound stage goes to the Koss.
I think I need a better setup for these alphas, and can hopefully try out a bunch of amps when a head-fi meet comes along.
Thanks, I might finally be ordering one in August. Btw, do you still have any loaner tour units going around, or is that over now?
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Jazz Recommendations from this Century 2 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 38 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-XB50: All of your basses...all of them. 39 seconds ago
- › 2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list... 1 minute ago
- › [CTC Audio] T-PEOS Altone200 (LAST DAY Before T-PEOS Price Increase!) 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review 4 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)