Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best recommendation for budget closed full size over the ear headphones under $25 Last post on 10/28/14 at 10:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs Vs. Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI Last post on 10/25/14 at 7:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread Last post on Today at 4:05 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New York Audio Show 2014 Last post on 10/22/14 at 11:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Closed Back Over Ear Headphone? Last post on 10/21/14 at 7:37am in Headphones (full-size)
I bought these to replace my dead Klipsch Image S2-ii after reading many reviews, because I wanted to try something else in the 60-70$ price range for use with my Sansa Clip Zip, and was very...
A big thanks to Drew and every one at Moon Audio, they handled the sale of this new unit to me and...
Brainwavz S0 Full Disclosure: Brainwavz supplied the S0 for this review It seems Brainwavz has been cranking out the new releases in their IEM line up of late. This time they’ve entered the...
TL;DR Review of the AKG Q701’s Accentuated Mids: Enhances most female vocals, also forwards vocals, “livens” synthesizers in electronic music. Can cause vocals to sound uneven due to the 2khz...
MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones - Page 508
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I just had a short, but interesting listen to the Alpha Dogs. I was listening the "Lock Howl" off of the Storm Corrosion Blu-Ray on my main speaker system (Ohm Micro Walsh Talls with an Emotiva sub). This is definitely an inexpensive but exquisite set-up that has amazing detail and soundstage. Anyway, I was listening to the DTS-Master mix, and said to myself, "It's too bad my headphones can't sound this good."
I stopped the track, put the Alpha's on, and played it again. I still under-estimate these headphones, even though I've had them since the first batch went out late last year. True, they can't compete to the open, room-filling sound of omni directional speakers like the Ohm's, but then again, nothing can.
But it was all there- the soundstage, the detail, the sound of the pick on the strings of the guitar. Even the imaging was spot-on (for a headphone).
Anyway, I am expecting the Grado GS1000 e's tomorrow, and I'm on the tour for the Hifiman HE-560's, which are due to me in about 3 weeks. I'm going to put the Alpha's against both of these high-end cans, and write an review/comparison. I notice there aren't very many reviews for these so far, and it's time I added my 2 cents.
Here's a link to the song, if anyone's interested:
Have a great night!
Mine went from processing to shipped within 11 hours.
I think i'm getting something similar, only on some frequencies, maybe it's an ortho driver thing
I have never heard of a high frequency mechanical noise, please pm me with details and let's see if that can be figured out...
Got an older pair of Alphas, and I must say the hype is real. The details are fantastic, and the mids and bass are life-like. I don't think mine has the treats, and yes, the highs could be piercing at some point, or even sibilant, but I believe the treats will treat them (will order them soon).
The finishing on these headphones are really top notch. They are just beautiful headphones, and precisely manufactured. The comfort is fantastic, and it is very easy to fit them on my head with a great seal.
My wife commented on how good these headphones looked, and when I gave it to her for a listen, she went through three songs before she gave it back to me (she normally listens to one song and that was it). She's a classically trained pianist, and plays many other instruments as well, so she has way better ears than mine. Her first comment was that they sound very detail, and that the songs sounds "higher pitch" than normal (she means bright), so it pretty much goes in hand with every body else's opinion.
One note of caution though, I was driving them out of an iMod with a quickstep, so it's not the best set up.
Compared to my Koss ESP-950 with Stax SRM1/MkII set up, the alpha dogs seems to be even more details, but the sound isn't as warm and musical as the Koss. The bass of the Alphas hits a little harder, but the Koss just has more presence. The mids on both are equally great, and the Koss seems to have more natural highs. Sound stage goes to the Koss.
I think I need a better setup for these alphas, and can hopefully try out a bunch of amps when a head-fi meet comes along.
Thanks, I might finally be ordering one in August. Btw, do you still have any loaner tour units going around, or is that over now?
- MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › HD800 being "picky" with amps myth 59 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? 1 minute ago
- › New Shure SE215 - First Impressions 1 minute ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 7 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 10 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by MenacingTuba
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by Mshenay
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by shotgunshane
- › AKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature... by Nec3
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by CasperBxl
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Currawong
- › Alessandro MS1i by Mshenay
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by ringofoaksmusic
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by AManAnd88Keys
- › Dunu DN-1000 by chupacabra314
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)