MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production 3D-Printed Headphones
Jul 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #7,623 of 9,071
Mine were actually mad dogs 3.2s before i upgraded them to alphas. Bass sounded pretty much the same to me, The upgrade did change the cans to be be way more open though and became much better for 3D positioning for gaming. Soundstage was so close compared to X1s that i didn't need them anymore. X1 is a hard can to beat for an open basshead can... i just can't get over the hard to replace glued on ear pads on them (if phillips even supplies replacement earpads).

Definitely take a good listen to a Mad Dog if you can and see if you like their sound signature, used ones can be had for a very good price and just upgrade them to Alphas like i did if you want even better sound.   

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #7,625 of 9,071
I really wouldn't consider them great for gaming though =/
Maybe better than it's predecessors but for both competitive gaming or "fun" gaming there are better options (fun being something with boomy bass and thick sound for those intense moments / explosions, competitive being very wide in soundstage with high detail, resolution and accuracy)

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7,626 of 9,071
Hm, but on the other hand I am not looking for exactly same sound signature as X1. Something suited for jazz and classical music ... but without chances for sibilance. I don't care much for resolution if it brings too raspy sound. I want something like a laid back type of closed headphones with some isolation and good comfort.

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #7,627 of 9,071
^the Alpha Dogs are very neutral and revealing, and offer the end user the ability to tailor the sound signature with " Dog Treats" and by adjusting the bass screw. While I haven't touched the "Very Bass" screw yet, I did move fairly quickly to two treats a side, I used HD650's before (dark, rolled off top, though musical). Though after a week of steady listening I have moved down to one treat a side, and find this to offer an excellent balance between the AD's revealing nature and my preference for a more forgiving presentation.

I listen to a very wide variety of genre, rock, alternative rock, classic rock, jazz ( Be Bop, big band, smooth), classical (symphonic, chamber, solo), opera, alternative country/folk, very limited "electronica", and rap.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #7,628 of 9,071
FYI two reviews came out this week.  Part Time Audiophile is a three-way review of the TH900, LCD-XC and Alpha Dog.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/07/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-headphones-review/

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/07/18/flagship-closed-back-headphones-from-mrspeakers-audeze-and-fostex/

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 19, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #7,629 of 9,071
  FYI two reviews came out this week.  Part Time Audiophile is a three-way review of the TH900, LCD-XC and Alpha Dog.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/07/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-headphones-review/

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/07/18/flagship-closed-back-headphones-from-mrspeakers-audeze-and-fostex/

Thanks! Great reviews. I really found the Part Time Audiophile writeup to be a well written and interesting read, and it gave some great insight into the Alphas, LCD-XC and TH900's. I haven't yet delved into higher end headphones as I have an awesome set of NickerfiedTM  T50RP's that are keeping me happy. But I've always been interested in the Mad Dogs and Alpha's, and after reading that comparison I'm even more interested in the Alpha Dogs and the TH900's. But I think I know which ones I will most likely end up with someday (hint: it most likely won't be the ones that cost $1499 lol).

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #7,630 of 9,071
I own a set of Fostex TH600s and the Alpha Dogs are in a class above those IMO.  I have listened to the TH900s but not done a direct comparison.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #7,631 of 9,071
I own a set of Fostex TH600s and the Alpha Dogs are in a class above those IMO.  I have listened to the TH900s but not done a direct comparison.

I'm not really familiar with the TH600
The TH900 is a step above but not as well balanced.
It's also double the price so keep that in mind.
I found it was a great headphone for fun use.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #7,633 of 9,071
I'm not really familiar with the TH600

The TH900 is a step above but not as well balanced.

It's also double the price so keep that in mind.

I found it was a great headphone for fun use.

Another thing about the TH-900 is that they are only 25 ohms and are efficient. I feel like I would run into problems amping them.

It would be very based on the coloring of the amp more than the power IMO much like grados.
I don't think the th900 would scale much higher with much better amps but I could be wrong on that one.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #7,634 of 9,071
It would be very based on the coloring of the amp more than the power IMO much like grados.
I don't think the th900 would scale much higher with much better amps but I could be wrong on that one.

I think if I were to upgrade (or spend >$1k for headphones) from the ADs it would be the HD 800s. A lot of people choose them as end-game and then I have headphones for different purposes.

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #7,635 of 9,071

I think if I were to upgrade (or spend >$1k for headphones) from the ADs it would be the HD 800s. A lot of people choose them as end-game and then I have headphones for different purposes.

The HD800 really aren't a direct upgrade. It's definitely an upgrade but a diagonal upgrade path.
You won't get the same bass response as you would with the AD but you'll get a lot more soundstaging, air, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back