Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1) - Page 47

post #691 of 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

That would make me wonder how safe it is to use such an IEM on a live stage where it seems like the performer are not aware of the high bass output which seem to cause ear pain on normal listening level.

The ASG-1 is one of the best universals I've tried to block out ambient noise. I think it's partly because it covers a good portion of the concha and sits close to the skin. So figure attenuated plus a bunch of decibels for the music and it probably won't be much louder than being on stage without them. Disclaimer: it is probably a lot more complicated than this.

His point is that the bass frequencies are most affected by ambient noise so it would be useful if a performer needed to hear the bass. Though I agree in that I have no idea how much decibels relative to ambient noise you would need to hear the bass well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post

Sweet.

I think you'll be fairly surprised, coming from the 1.1. The 1.0/1.1 to 1.2 upgrade was pretty drastic. For anyone who's heard the 1.2, the ASG-2 will sound like the natural upgrade. For 1.1 lovers, it will be a slight adjustment.

I hope so. smile.gif
I look forward to hearing what the mad scientist has done.

I think this comment might be just as helpful as your entire, very awesome, review for those that are in the "Should I upgrade?" camp.
Edited by vwinter - 6/14/13 at 5:05pm
post #692 of 5321
Hi Audionewbi, who's your favorite living sarodiya? I like Brij Narayan, he is excellent.

For the issues of hearing protection on the stage, you actually have it backwards. Musicians tend to turn up their monitors to hear/feel the bass against the background roar. A vented dynamic driver bass, which has air moving for a real bass energy, allows the musician to have this bass feel at a lower overall volume. That means the treble, which is where hearing loss and hearing fatigue tends to most often occur, is also lower.

Interestingly, isolation alone doesn't seem to lead musicians to turn down their volume, although it's part of the picture.

These points come from my discussions with ciems manufacturers who focus on building ciems for stage use.

An armature custom with spikes at 5khz for fatigue and damage and bass that lacks the moving air of real bass energy-leading musicians to turn up the volume to try to get what they are missing is a recipe for hearing damage. That's part of the reason why the new jh13fp, for example, which is being reviewed as even brighter than its predecessor, may be well reviewed by brightness loving audiophiles, but is possibly a big mistake for a stage musician. This is only some informed speculation, of course.

It's interesting.
Edited by Kunlun - 6/14/13 at 5:43pm
post #693 of 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 View Post


I posted first impressions in the H-200 thread just now. I'll be adding a full comparison when I get my ASG-2 back.

 

H200 might not be the best hybrids but its sound definitely punches above its price point provided it is amp properly.  Looking forward on your comparison with more exotic implementations like the ASG-2 or 1plus2.

post #694 of 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

You actually have it backwards. Musicians tend to turn up their monitors to hear/feel the bass against the background roar. A vented dynamic driver bass, which has air moving for a real bass energy, allows the musician to have this bass feel at a lower overall volume. That means the treble, which is where hearing loss and hearing fatigue tends to most often occur, is also lower.

Interestingly, isolation alone doesn't seem to lead musicians to turn down their volume, although it's part of the picture.

These points come from my discussions with ciems manufacturers who focus on building ciems for stage use.

An armature custom with spikes at 5khz for fatigue and damage and bass that lacks the moving air of real bass energy-leading musicians to turn up the volume to try to get what they are missing is a recipe for hearing damage. That's part of the reason why the new jh13fp, for example, which is being reviewed as even brighter than its predecessor, may be well reviewed by brightness loving audiophiles, but is possibly a big mistake for a stage musician. This is only some informed speculation, of course.

It's interesting.

Unless I didn't write what I was thinking well, I think what I said was at the worst a tangent to your post, and in my mind almost parallel, but with less useful information.

If my post doesn't make sense in a similar way to Kunlun's, forget mine and just remember his.

Edit: use the quote button darnit! I feel like I'm watching Clue.
Edited by vwinter - 6/14/13 at 5:18pm
post #695 of 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

You actually have it backwards.  Musicians tend to turn up their monitors to hear/feel the bass against the background roar. A vented dynamic driver bass, which has air moving for a real bass energy, allows the musician to have this bass feel at a lower overall volume.

 

I'm not sure how I have it backwards - it sounds like we're saying the same thing? 

post #696 of 5321
Ha ha guys, I was responding to audionewbi and y'all posted while I was writing.
post #697 of 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post

Ha ha guys, I was responding to audionewbi and y'all posted while I was writing.

That was a very informative reply, thank you. For me hearing is very important and sadly few years of abusing my ears has reduced my hearing range down to 17-18 khz. I am still under thirty by a good margin so this reduction of has really got me worried and i am been really careful on this issue.

 

I have reduced my listening session to 30 minutes with long breaks in between. I listen to a lot of live recording and instrumental based music, live male vocalist (various indian raga) where I feel only a dynamic driver has the ability to bring to live in the most natural way. I tend to listen to music with treble boost but after this I will be more careful.

 

As for my favourite sarod player alive would be Amjad Ali khan but truth be told Indian is full of talent, many of whom never get the attention they deserve. However my avatar is not Sarad, it is actually an instrument called rebub. Truth be told it is very similar looking however they have quiet a distinct sound.

 

Thank you for introducing me to Pandit Narayan, it is the first time I have heard his name.

 

Regards :)

post #698 of 5321
^I drove a tractor for a bit a wile back, the noise was quite bad.
post #699 of 5321
Thread Starter 
As for live shows, I actually feel like high-isolation monitors are preserving the hearing of the musicians. Those stages can be LOUD. I've been to several a performance, and I feel the need to wear earplugs to every one of them. Even karaoke bars are loud too.

I do see the value of the bass port on stage. It's also the same reason that we generally prefer bassier iems on the go.

I can't use my less isolating iems while doing loud tasks around the house, like vacuuming. The ASG-2 is great for this because it preserves the "fidelity" of the music by preventing environmental degradation.

I feel like that was a really fancy way to say that it blocks out the noise and lets me hear my music better.
post #700 of 5321
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

Ah. She told me they had universals in the works but didn't tell me they were JH13 and 16's. Interesting. Hopefully they'll be around by the Black Friday sale. That's when I was planning to pick up the JH13 FP.

 

Hmmm.... During a conversation about the JH13 and JH16, I asked if we could ever expect to see them in universal form, and she said they were working on universals at that time. I took that to mean they were working on universal versions of both the IEMs we were discussing, but she could've been pulling uber-semantic politician-type move and referring to other IEMs or only one of the two under discussion, I 'spose. I'm holding out hope for a JH13FP universal that doesn't cost as much as '96 Buick-- that would be an interesting comparison for the G-2 IMO. 

post #701 of 5321

I think I am sold, going to place my order by Sunday, just matter of selling a few things.

post #702 of 5321

I'm still waiting in line for the demo. Andy is out of his office until Jun. 18. He said he was going to let me know more about it this week. frown.gif

post #703 of 5321

nice review!

post #704 of 5321

nice review!

post #705 of 5321

I would like to make a scientifically profound statement: AS-2 rules!!! It's in my ears now and I own nothing better (close but not better).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 (Updated with ASG-2.5 and Tralucent Ref 1)