Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker amps for headphones - Page 39

post #571 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

PA 2-50 Stereo Amplifier (Emotiva mini on steroids) for $189

 

Looks like the exact same amp to me..  Are they the same company or something?

post #572 of 2599

They probably use the same OEM (ToneWinner):


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278993/tonewinner-making-new-emotiva-pmc-xmc
 

EDIT: It actually seems to be the 'same' company. Take a look at their adresses.


Edited by Anda - 8/7/13 at 3:11am
post #573 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post


PA 2-50 Stereo Amplifier (Emotiva mini on steroids) for $189



Spring-clip speaker terminals?

And all sales are final?

I'll stick with Emotiva.
Edited by zilch0md - 8/7/13 at 6:09am
post #574 of 2599

Interesting thread. I started using the Millenia amp with my Paradox headphones several months ago. Jan came up with what proved to be a prototype resistor box for my situation, to eliminate any background hiss. It also alleviates the issue wherein my headphones are wired single ended and the amp doesn't share common ground. As I stated in some other threads, I think it sounds fantastic. But I don't have anywhere near the experience you guys have with other headphone amps, so it's gratifying to see I am not alone in my praise for this gem of a little amp. I have tried using batteries, both internal and also purchased an external 12 volt battery. It will be interesting to hear others findings on the battery vs ac comparison. 

post #575 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Looks like the exact same amp to me..  Are they the same company or something?


Yes they are the same company--

 

I have both the Mini & the Pa 2-50--and the are not really the same amp --the Pa 2-50 comes with a remote and has 2 RCA inputs selectable--

 

To my ears it sounds slightly better than the Mini X driving my HE 6's--

 

Both great little amps for both Headphones & Speakers especially for the money!!!

 

Jack

 

PS--The Spring Clip connectors pose no problem for me....

post #576 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiedh View Post


Yes they are the same company--

 

I have both the Mini & the Pa 2-50--and the are not really the same amp --the Pa 2-50 comes with a remote and has 2 RCA inputs selectable--

 

To my ears it sounds slightly better than the Mini X driving my HE 6's--

 

Both great little amps for both Headphones & Speakers especially for the money!!!

 

Jack

 

PS--The Spring Clip connectors pose no problem for me....

How do you like the Audeze vegan pad compared with stock velour/pleather? bigsmile_face.gif

post #577 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaine1711 View Post

How do you like the Audeze vegan pad compared with stock velour/pleather? bigsmile_face.gif


I use them on my HE 6's and Totally love them over all the stock HIFIMAN Pads and all the other pads I have tried and I have tried quite a few--both sonically & comfort wise!!!

 

I also have an extra pair of Audeze LCD 3 Pads they I need to get around to trying one of these days on the HE 6's......

 

Jack

post #578 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG52 View Post

Interesting thread. I started using the Millenia amp with my Paradox headphones several months ago. Jan came up with what proved to be a prototype resistor box for my situation, to eliminate any background hiss. It also alleviates the issue wherein my headphones are wired single ended and the amp doesn't share common ground. As I stated in some other threads, I think it sounds fantastic. But I don't have anywhere near the experience you guys have with other headphone amps, so it's gratifying to see I am not alone in my praise for this gem of a little amp. I have tried using batteries, both internal and also purchased an external 12 volt battery. It will be interesting to hear others findings on the battery vs ac comparison. 

 

Hey SMG52!

 

There you are!   In case others don't realize this, we have YOU to thank as the first person on this thread (or was it on the Emotiva mini-X thread?) to recommend the TBI Millenia MG3.   Your initial write-ups were very compelling, but I've yet to take the plunge.  Gary is following in your footsteps and then some.  Thanks for your contributions, both of you!

 

Mike

post #579 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post

Hey SMG52!

There you are!   In case others don't realize this, we have YOU to thank as the first person on this thread (or was it on the Emotiva mini-X thread?) to recommend the TBI Millenia MG3.   Your initial write-ups were very compelling, but I've yet to take the plunge.  Gary is following in your footsteps and then some.  Thanks for your contributions, both of you!

Mike

Yes, SMG, thank you for finding TBI, and forcing me to try it and fall in love with it. It's all your fault I'm now poorer in dollars and richer in sound.
post #580 of 2599

Gary, I can't believe all the work you have put into this thread. I can tell from others responses that everyone really appreciates it. And your writing makes your findings very accessible, like we are right there with you, listening along. I had done a ton of research before trying out the Millenia amp (I have been into this audio hobby since the mid '70s, so I have owned my share of two channel equipment), and after reading somewhere that some compared the Millenia with much more expensive amps for their speakers, and also that one reviewer was happy using it with his $8,000 Quad electrostatics, I figured it was worth a try. Jan was enormously helpful from the start to help make the amp work in my situation, with headphones.  Glad you had an equally positive experience working with Jan. I don't doubt there are better amps out there, for double and triple the price, but when you consider size, possible portability, battery operation, ability to confer with the designer, along with price......it was easy to be enthusiastic about this amp. 

 

Stew

post #581 of 2599
I value the fact that speaker amps can be used to drive your headphones with the cost of a couple of resistors. The HiFiMan HEs have reminded us of another power source for those of us that have speaker amps, that offers quite a savings vs new headphone amps. And with the advent of USB>SPDIF converters, old DACs have life breathed into them. Again, saving. A HE-500($700) with a used speaker amp($500) and a converter($300) to a used DAC($500) and for $2k(less for the diligent), you can have entry toward world class sound.
post #582 of 2599
I hope that I get the value also. I recently lost an auction on eBay by $1 for not being diligent enough for a Tbi millenia amp that eventually sold for $251 aud which was a steal. In my frustration I ordered a Topping TP60 which I hope to get decent results from. I've now got the Topping amp but waiting for the speaker taps which are on their way from BTG. I'm new to all this so hope I've said the right things. Hoping for it to drive my HE500s decentish. I'll post my newbie review once I get the taps and have a good listen.
post #583 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

I value the fact that speaker amps can be used to drive your headphones with the cost of a couple of resistors. The HiFiMan HEs have reminded us of another power source for those of us that have speaker amps, that offers quite a savings vs new headphone amps. And with the advent of USB>SPDIF converters, old DACs have life breathed into them. Again, saving. A HE-500($700) with a used speaker amp($500) and a converter($300) to a used DAC($500) and for $2k(less for the diligent), you can have entry toward world class sound.

Hey Happy - didn't realise you had a HE-500. What speaker amp were you referring to?

post #584 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

Hey Happy - didn't realise you had a HE-500. What speaker amp were you referring to?
I owned and borrowed the 500s a couple of times for extended periods with the 6s. They aren't here now. I have commented that the 500s are about 90% of the 6s performance wise. For the 500s, a quality 1-3 watts @ 50 ohms. For the 6s, 3-5 watts @ 50 ohms. I've used a MacIntosh power amp with meters and the 6s averaged about 2-3 watts normal listening but likes reserve current with peaks.
Edited by Happy Camper - 8/8/13 at 4:48am
post #585 of 2599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

I owned and borrowed the 500s a couple of times for extended periods with the 6s. They aren't here now. I have commented that the 500s are about 90% of the 6s performance wise. For the 500s, a quality 1-3 watts @ 50 ohms. For the 6s, 3-5 watts @ 50 ohms. I've used a MacIntosh power amp with meters and the 6s averaged about 2-3 watts normal listening but likes reserve current with peaks.

The "power meters" will be volt meters referenced to 8 Ohms.

3 Watts into an 8 Ohm load works out to 0.48 Watts into a 50 Ohm load.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones