Speaker amps for headphones
Aug 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #542 of 3,871
Oh wait...

Here they are!

Can't get much simpler, but I'm still thinking I'd mess it up if I tried to do it myself... or take hours and hours, which makes the $100 cost to have him build it worth it to me, particularly given that the parts aside from the resistors are probably about 1/2 of that amount.  And then if I was doing it there'd be the replacement parts after I screwed up the first couple of times...

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #543 of 3,871
I would guess that the 10ohms are parallel and the the 2ohms in series? What is the impedance of your headphone?

edit:  Wait, I think the 2ohms is parallel and the 10ohms is in series. Like this

+ --+----10ohms----+
            |                     |  +
Amp     2ohms             HP
            |                     |   -
       - --+---------------+

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #544 of 3,871
If this box is paired with the HE-6 50ohms, the impedance seen by the amp would be 1.9ohms
eek.gif

These resistors look different than the Mills I use.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #545 of 3,871
Hmm they looks like the Mills I used (glossy metal), but then I did see a picture of mills in a rougher enclosure. Kinda bug me at first that I can't find the Mills that look exactly like this picture below - but they are the same I think, just different enclosure?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #546 of 3,871
Quote:
Hmm they looks like the Mills I used (glossy metal), but then I did see a picture of mills in a rougher enclosure. Kinda bug me at first that I can't find the Mills that look exactly like this picture below - but they are the same I think, just different enclosure?

Did you solder it on or are they clamped into the speaker terminals?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #547 of 3,871
Quote:
If this box is paired with the HE-6 50ohms, the impedance seen by the amp would be 1.9ohms
eek.gif

These resistors look different than the Mills I use.

So somebody school me - wouldn't this (1.9 ohms) be dangerous if the amp sees a load much less than what its rated for? I am assuming that in general speaker amps are rated to 4/8 ohms..

EDIT: I'm just realising that the current draw probably won't exceed what the speaker amp is capable of...no?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #549 of 3,871
Quote:

Did you solder it on or are they clamped into the speaker terminals?

That is Grokit's amp. I did the same to mine - old picture but you get the gist.

Most speaker binding posts have a small hole, right below the screw/cap - for people who uses bare wire instead of banana/spade. I just put the leg of the resistor in and screw on - tight and snug 
wink_face.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #552 of 3,871
Quote:
That is Grokit's amp. I did the same to mine - old picture but you get the gist.

Most speaker binding posts have a small hole, right below the screw/cap - for people who uses bare wire instead of banana/spade. I just put the leg of the resistor in and screw on - tight and snug 
wink_face.gif

Try the 4 Ohms.

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #553 of 3,871
Quote:
Was just wondering if a slight knock on the amp might loosen the clamp on the resistors...just a worry wart I am.

Close pic- loose

Tightened up

Unless you forcefully pull the resistors out, even an earthquake might not shake them off

Try the 4 Ohms.

Hmm looks interesting, did you tuck the resistor leg inside the spades?

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #554 of 3,871
Folks:

I can't see the circuit diagram in my post above, so here's the link to the post I stole it from:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project/1020

Post #1026, halfway down the page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back