I'd opt for a surrogate.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- need for warm headphones Last post on 5/4/13 at 1:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 3/4/14 at 8:16pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ~$1000 budget for Cans for on the go Last post on 3/5/14 at 12:10pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Beyerdynamic Clear Gel Pads Last post on 2/17/14 at 8:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- M-Audio Q40 Full Review + ATH-M50 Comparison Last post on 2/15/14 at 9:00am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
I could not recommend these headphones more, they sound better than anything else i have had the opportunity to listen to for more than five minutes. They take the best parts of the headphones i...
UnboxingUpon unboxing, I knew what the Sony MDR-1R MK2's were intended for; luxury. It came with a box very similar to the Sennheiser HD800's packaging, very pleasing to open and everything felt of...
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 - Page 266post #3976 of 2114212/22/12 at 8:55am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3977 of 2114212/22/12 at 2:40pmpost #3978 of 2114212/22/12 at 2:59pm
I decided to buy my mom a Blackberry Playbook for Christmas.
I went into it with low expectations, since the sales were pretty dismal at the beginning. Now that I've run the tablet through its paces...
Holy friggin schitt!!!!
From a hardware perspective, the playbook is a mile ahead of my ipad and nexus 7. Everything about it feels premium, the screen is fantastic (not quite retina or super amoled, but for under $200 on Amazon, I ain't complaining), and ergonomics are great.
The absolute best part of the package for me are the speakers. It has stereo front facing speakers that simply outclass everything I've ever heard on a mobile device, even most laptops. I just watched a few movie trailers, and I'm just flooored. If you guys are interested in getting a tablet that is a complete package, and frankly the best mobile multimedia device I've owned, then please don't pass this up. The web browser supports flash too.
The only downside to the tablet (and it's not really a direct issue), is the smaller developer community compared to the bigger names. This is still a non-issue, since you can learn to load Android apps onto it with less than 10 minutes of internet research.
I'm getting myself one too so I don't snatch hers up.post #3979 of 2114212/22/12 at 4:55pm
Got all irrational and fed up waiting to be able to order an MK3 JKSPDIF so I ordered a Stello U3 instead. Maybe I'll regret that for one reason or another, but I'm sure it'll be a step up from the my DAC-2's USB input.post #3980 of 2114212/22/12 at 5:38pm
A couple modded ones have appeared in recent weeks at decent prices too. I'm looking for a meaningful improvement in a DAC rather than an incremental one, so I really want to be able to audition models before I start looking for any in earnest.post #3981 of 2114212/22/12 at 10:55pm
Taken from private PM over the last week or so (edited and only roughly quoted for the sake of not polluting the thread with an encyclopedia sized entry)Quote:
Cheap kid in UK: Hi, I'm interested in your DT1350. Would you consider a partial trade?
DigitalFreak: Partial trade...what do you mean by a partial trade?
Cheap kid in UK: I'll trade my Denon AH-D400 for your Beyer but you have to agree to PayPal me the cost of shipping them to you.
DigitalFreak: So you want me to pay for shipping on your end and my end for both headphones?
Cheap kid in UK: My headphone is brand new less then a month old while yours is used. Shipping from Britain by Royal Post is quite expensive. If you want to save a few pounds I'll send my headphone out with no tracking but I want the Beyer shipped with tracking. So we have a deal?
Cheap kid in UK: I suggest you give my offer more consideration. These new Denon's slay most headphones on the market.
DigitalFreak: So why you selling them?
Cheap kid in the UK: Because I'll be getting the flagship soon so I have no need for the D400's.
DigitalFreak: That makes no sense. Why would you possibly want my Beyers if you're buying the Denon flagship. If anything I would have thought you'd be selling them and throwing the bones earned from the sale towards the pricier headphone you claim you intend to buy in the near future
Cheap kid in UK: I need a decent headphone with good isolation to listen to my music when going to school on the trolley.
DigitalFreak: I never knew they still had trollies in England. I thought all you Brits rode around on those double decker red buses while eating fish and chips and grooving to Beatles Oasis Rod Stewart and Billy Idol tunes.
Cheap kid in UK: Listen, I think the deal I'm offering you is fair. How about I sweeten it and offer to pay half the shipping on my end. Would that be enough to finalize the deal?
Cheap kid in UK: You should stop and think before saying no to my offer. I guarantee you once I put my Denon's on the FS forums they won't last long. Yours on the other hand have been listed for a few weeks. I highly doubt anyone will offer you the same deal I'm offering you.
DigitalFreak: Well I certainly hope not. Thanks for the interest but I'm not interested in your offer. If I can't move them I'll just keep them for myself and learn to live with an extra headphone in my inventory. Good luck with your Denon's. Bye
My honest reaction after that exchange and the attitude of that kid
Edited by DigitalFreak - 12/22/12 at 10:58pmpost #3982 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:03pmpost #3983 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:04pm
It seems like he was implying the AHD-400's weren't decent headphones with good isolation.
Hey DF, I'll trade you my broken Shure SRH940's for those if you send a box with a paid shipping label to my house first.
And schedule the UPS pickup for me.
Man, I've just been vegging all week when I said I'd be getting shipping supplies together to start selling my unused amps and ****. I have, however, been saving all the packing material from my random ass Amazon buys lately. Maybe some of that would work? And I have the original packaging from my Lyr and Hifiman stuff.
I also need to get the Audez'e cable out of my WA22 before taking pictures of it. I was actually dumb enough to plug it back in last month, having completely forgotten about the amp's 4-pin XLR jack eating it. I'll make this known in the thread of course, along with the fact that the amp pretty much sounds the same across the balanced and single ended outputs.
Edited by driver 8 - 12/22/12 at 11:11pmpost #3984 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:07pmQuote:Quote:
Deal to the guy who can run over to my place the fastest. First one to bang on my door gets it. You gotta run though no car or plane allowed.post #3985 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:11pmpost #3986 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:25pm
That sounds like work, I'll pass.
I suddenly have a really strong desire to own some R10's despite having heard a pair before and not thinking they were worth their typical asking price and knowing it's potentially an awful investment. There was, however, something special to that sound I heard and I want to hear it again*. And my affection for the TH900's is making me want more bacteria drivers and crazy wood work ;_;
I kind of want the ATH 3000ANV's too, but they're all expensive now. What is up with that?
Besides that stuff my "one of these days" list includes:
one of them super DACs
and an aquarium; I miss having an aquarium. Maybe I should get that first to take my mind off all this headphone stuff and feel motivated to clean my room.
*and that was on some bunk ass RSA amp. I want to hear what they'd sound like with my stuff.
Edited by driver 8 - 12/22/12 at 11:27pmpost #3987 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:32pm
For whatever reason I keep thinking a small 4 or 5 gallon aquarium with a Siamese Fighting Fish and some aquatic plants would be a good investment in attaining more tranquility in my lifepost #3988 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:43pm
I wouldn't want fish that'd fight each other. I made the mistake once when I was little of putting a small newt in the same tank as my fish and one of them bit its arm off :( . It grew back, but the process of regeneration stunted his growth making him my smallest newt after I had acquired more (in their own tank). I was really surprised since none of the fish in that tank ever attacked each other, but one had beef with quadrupeds, apparently.
Getting aquatic plants is definitely half the fun, though! Especially when they're from crappy pet stores and have snails living in them.
And there's something to be said for having the faintest bit of algae smell around with the sound of one of those bubbly things, ****, what are thy called?
Edited by driver 8 - 12/22/12 at 11:48pmpost #3989 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:48pm
I've been thinking of an aquarium or something. I need something to kind of stare at while I listen to music other than the computer screen/some random area. Maybe I'll invest in a lava lamp or something. Only problem with those is the "house on fire" thing :P
So I'm browsing through the Music forum, and just getting more music. I feel nowadays music hasn't been impacting me as much. Call it getting jaded, not having anything better than KSC-75's right now, or winter depression. I'm not really sure why. I've been toying around with the idea of finding a hobby to go alongside this one, but most require money, which I don't even have enough for this one Exercising is an option. I guess once you get past that "ugh" part it becomes enjoyable. I'm not overweight, merely lazy. But it's free!
I think I'm done for the night. I think these late nights and personal life stressors have been getting to me too easily. Night all.
EDIT: Why does everyone feel that lo-fi makes it atmospheric? If I wanted to listen to cassettes, high, while pretending it's 1987, I don't need your post-processing on the music to help me do it. Kthx.
Edited by mosshorn - 12/23/12 at 12:01ampost #3990 of 2114212/22/12 at 11:50pmQuote:
Just walked in the door...and into Cheap kid in UK's madness!
- The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Audio-Technica CKX Information & Reviews Thread 6 seconds ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 50 seconds ago
- › NEW! Apogee ONE for iOS 1 minute ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Appreciation and Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FS: BNIB Philips Fidelio L2 Headphones [Imported / Not available in... 7 minutes ago
- › Portable Bass rigs (Pic thread) 8 minutes ago
- › Fischer DBA-02 MKII - Impressions and review thread: CK10 threatened! 9 minutes ago
- › YOUR IDEAL HEADPHONE: What is yours if you could take one and... 11 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions / Appreciation Thread (It's... 12 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 13 minutes ago
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude