Originally Posted by akong
I've heard varied accounts of the HE-400's sound signature - some say they're more neutral, others say they're more colored, although it seems to be generally agreed that they're warm and dark. Another facet I can't seem to find a reliable account of are the mids. Some people think they're good, others say they're thin. Could you guys chime in with what you think? I'd like to get a definitive answer on these, as they're a pretty big part of my decision. Also, how do these perform with acoustic music?
In my humble opinion the HE-400 is the best headphone in it's price range. It's competitive with headphones that cost twice as much, even with it's own big brother the HE-500. The price to quality ratio you get with the HE-400 far surpasses the HE-500 for me (the HE-500 is still slightly superior though). The HE-400 is a better headphone then Senn HD600's, I don't think there is anything thin about the sound here. it's very close for me between the HD650's but the HE-400 performs better with less power behind it. The only other headphone that I personally like in this price range are the AKG K702 annies.
People have different accounts of the sound in some cases because the headphones have undergone manufacturing changes since they were released. They do have a bit of a treble spike and slightly recessed upper mids. They can seem dark, and they can also seem bright, really depends on what you are listening to in my opinion.
HE-400's have so much going for them:
- Versatile, great with many music genres. Especially good with Hip Hop, Electronic, Jazz
- Easy to power. I wouldn't listen to them with no amp, but even cheaper amps in the Fiio range pair up well.
- Great detail, fast, planar magnetics are untouchable in this category at this price range.
- They are heavy for some people, this contributes to comfort which leads too -
- Comfort, some people might have some issues with the comfort here
- depending on your source, they can be sibilant at times.
Overall the HE-400 is an amazing headphone. EQ'ed to your preference they will be even better, at this price range, for me, they are king of the hill.