It does sound like there's something wrong in the chain, Jesse. The Gungnir is the bottleneck of that rig. Unless you absolutely dislike Mojo's presentation.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Best tube amp for LCD-3 Last post on 12/3/14 at 6:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- LCD-3's and Woo WA22....WOW! Last post on 1/4/14 at 6:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- LCD-3 / HD-800 amp Last post on 2/27/15 at 8:12am in High-end Audio Forum
- Could woo audio wa22 work well with LCD-3? Last post on 11/23/12 at 4:51pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone user living in England needs some 'decent' advice --Americans, please rise to... Last post on 9/3/12 at 6:05am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Woo Audio: FAQ and Product TroubleshootLast edited: 6/17/14
Thanks to Luke (H20Fidelity) for letting me a part of the Australian leg of the COZOY DAC/Amp tour and for Igor (DJScope) for the personal delivery, no doubt due to him enjoying the unit so much...
This review is for the Linum Bax 2-Pin, Bax IEM and headphone cables. Let me introduce myself my name is Adam, I live in the states between Philadelphia and New York City. I have been into audio...
Havi B3 Pro 1 - Pictorial Review Let me start by saying that ......the purchase of B3Pro1 has been long time coming ever since introduced by bhazard in the Chinese thread early last year...
I have posted a more detailed review on my blog with hi resolution pictures. http://blog.hyperexpert.com/audio-technica-at-pha50bt-first-impressions-and-review/ I stumbled upon Audio Technica’s...
My impressions is that these don’t sound significantly different than the cheaper SP version in terms of sound signature. The biggest difference is detail, more extended highs and smoother mid. If...
Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3 - Page 36post #526 of 11762/22/13 at 1:32pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #527 of 11762/22/13 at 4:25pm
I've noticed quite a bit of solid-state gear tends to sound harsh initially. Leave it on for a couple of weeks and see if the harshness is still there.post #528 of 11762/22/13 at 4:47pmQuote:
With no First Watt?post #529 of 11762/22/13 at 5:06pm
Has anyone tried LCD 3 with EF6 amp here? I guess that's gonna be a good combo. since I know what hifiman's house sound is like and it's for HE6, I suppose they must smoothen the treble of HE6 very well. Also Skylab seems to like EF6 with LCD 3 very much.post #530 of 11762/22/13 at 5:43pm
I agree with the Mjolnir + Gungir sounding harsh, dry, and aggressive. It can soften up w/ time, balanced input, and another dac, but I don't think anyone should rely on that.
No one talks about it, but WA22 is my favorite amp w/ the LCD3. IMO it adds that extra bit of warmth, bass, and detail that I am seeking. I let one slip on Ebay for 1201 and have been kicking myself since...
I bought my mjolnir w/ the intention to eventually sell and replace it w/ the Schiit Statement Hybrid or the Woo Audio WA22.post #531 of 11762/22/13 at 7:33pm
Interested to see what comes of this Uncle. Let us know if it improves over time and which component you think it could be causing the problem for you. Curious because i was about to order this combo with a M51.
Seems like the DAC, but ya never know.post #532 of 11762/22/13 at 9:03pmpost #533 of 11762/22/13 at 9:14pm
I will be getting the review sample very soon and will be reviewing it with both the lcd2.2. and the lCD3. I will also be using the hd800 and the AT3000anv in the reivew. I should have the amp very shortly.post #534 of 11762/22/13 at 9:16pmpost #535 of 11762/22/13 at 9:27pmQuote:
LOL The amp is built and its just burning in. Steve told me he finished it so sometime next week it should be sent to me. I am really looking forward to hearing it. Steve redesigned this for the planers and he told me he use high impedance cans also to voice it with the lcd 2.. He was telling me the lucid mode stages are pretty wild so I am excited to be getting it. It also wont need speakers to be hooked up as this was designed as a headphone amp foremost and will also do speakers. It pretty loade up and will also do balanced headphones.post #536 of 11762/23/13 at 11:52amQuote:Originally Posted by BRAC
Solude, with respect, I don't really care so much how the amp measures. I'm more concerned with how it sounds. You seem to dog the HA160 simply because it doesn't measure as well as some other amps. Bottom line, if we are being honest, how many people could consistently pick out the HA160 versus say the Soloist in a blind test?Quote:Quote:
Solude, I really have to give you some props here...
You were absolutely right. The Soloist is a very audible step up from the HA160. I just received mine yesterday and the difference was immediately noticeable with my LCD2.2. I believe even I could pick them out in a blind test. The biggest improvement was in how smooth it sounds from top to bottom. And, along with that came a huge increase in dynamics, as well as, improvements in detail, imaging and depth. I mean, the improvements were easily apparent and on display in every category. The Burson sound signature is still there, it's just much more refined now. I'm not really sure how any review could state that the improvements are only slight or subtle. Well, I guess the term "subtle" in high end audio can mean many things to many people. For me those "subtle" improvements are really worth it. I can only hope that this amazing synergy translates over to my upcoming LCD3. Can't wait!post #537 of 11762/23/13 at 12:24pm
I might be picking up the Conductor in a while depending on whether the Soloist sticks around after being compared to the B22 and GS-X I have coming. That said I recently got the HD800 and though the Soloist is my second favourite LCD amp, it's the only amp that has made me very happy with the HD800.post #538 of 11762/23/13 at 12:54pmpost #539 of 11762/23/13 at 1:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by Solude
I might be picking up the Conductor in a while depending on whether the Soloist sticks around after being compared to the B22 and GS-X I have coming. That said I recently got the HD800 and though the Soloist is my second favourite LCD amp, it's the only amp that has made me very happy with the HD800.
I almost picked up the Conductor instead of the Soloist, but I got gun shy when I read a few of the horror stories regarding the DAC section on that guy. I decided instead to just stick with my Bifrost. I can always upgrade the DAC later anyway.
I haven't had a chance to test out the Soloist with my HD800 yet, maybe tonight. I don't really care for my HA160 with the HD800, so I'm kind of curious to see if the Soloist can make me a believer again. After I got over that initial "holy crap the detail" phase, I really fell out of love with my HD800. The LCD2.2 is very full, and rich, with a musical quality that makes it so much more enjoyable to listen to, without any fatigue. The HD800 gives me headaches if I listen for too long.post #540 of 11762/23/13 at 1:20pm
- Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 23 seconds ago
- › Best closed headphone + AMP for $1000? Help! 56 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 56 seconds ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones -... 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › FS: Ocharaku Flat4-Kaede Type II 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 5 minutes ago
- › Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1 5 minutes ago
- › Cozoy Astrapi by Xtralglactic
- › Linum 2Pin Detachable Connector - BaX Dual Twist Model by acain
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Wokei
- › Audio Technica AT-PHA50BT by unknownsolo
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by kite7
- › Sennheiser IE80 by ahnvx
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2