Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #497 of 1,285

This is the graph, I assume this isn't a roll off in the bass region?  Normal measuring behavior? 

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #498 of 1,285
I'd have to look at mine but I don't remember a dip at 8K.  The shelf move from 20-1K to 50-1.5K is the unveiling RMA thing.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #499 of 1,285
hi everyone! I'm going to buy LCD-3. Thinking about DAC and Amp. If it would be PWD MkII and EC Balanced Act - would it be great combination? is it possible to buy something better for this money (10k for all)?

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #500 of 1,285
I also find the LCD 3's vocal is more forward than LCD 2, there is definitely a hump around 2-3 k that I don't hear from LCD 2.  The treble is dead smooth without any sibilance though.  I probably need to learn the definition of best bass again lol. I thought it's gonna punch the crap out of me instead of greatly controlled.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #501 of 1,285
I think a lot of feel the LCD-3's have deeper bass, however the LCD-2 has more bass slam. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #503 of 1,285
Quote:

MacedonianHero was right, anything that can drive LCD 2 well can drive LCD 3 too.

Hey congrats! I did find one exemption to that rule...the Lyr. It was fantastic with the LCD-2s, but just adequate with the LCD-3s IME.

BTW, the bass isn't as overpowering with the LCD-3s...its far more balanced/neutral. With the LCD-2s, it can draw away one's attention from the rest of the music. But that said, the impact is still plentiful with the LCD-3s and the quality is certainly better. The biggest improvement for me was the sound staging and imaging. The LCD-3s have a more airy presentation than the LCD-2s...a very welcome improvement to my ears. 
size]

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #505 of 1,285
Quote:
hi everyone! I'm going to buy LCD-3. Thinking about DAC and Amp. If it would be PWD MkII and EC Balanced Act - would it be great combination? is it possible to buy something better for this money (10k for all)?

Man will you be having a hard time doing anything but grooving! 

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #506 of 1,285
So I got my lcd-3's last night to pair with my new gungnir and mjolnir. I really have to say that I'm disappointed right out of the box. My psyt balanced cables don't arrive until tomorrow so they are currently connected single-ended with blue jeans interconnects. The gungnir has about 80hrs of burn in, mojo was on overnight so about 24hrs before I plugged in the lcds. For some reason they don't sound like the loaner pair I had with my bifrost/lyr. The magic those had to my ears is non-existent. Of course that loaner pair probably had over 1000 hours of play. If I had to describe the sound out of mine right now compared to that, it would be soft, delicate, and top-tilited. Very clear, not fuzzy, but just a little blah and somewhat fatiguing. The incredible layering of the music I had with the loaner pair is not there. Very "wall-of-sound" like. No magic at all. They do look great though, wood grooves are symetrical and are a LOT darker than any pair I've seen in pictures (they were made mid-january).

Could burn in time be the problem? Are my bleak impressions based of single-ended connections going to change tomorrow when I go fully balanced? How much longer should I burn in before critical listening? I don't want to give up on this system as I've been dreaming about it forever. I had to just buy it or I wouldnt have stopped thinking about it. I can't help but think I made a mistake. I need some support from you gurus...

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #508 of 1,285
Quote:
So I got my lcd-3's last night to pair with my new gungnir and mjolnir. I really have to say that I'm disappointed right out of the box. My psyt balanced cables don't arrive until tomorrow so they are currently connected single-ended with blue jeans interconnects. The gungnir has about 80hrs of burn in, mojo was on overnight so about 24hrs before I plugged in the lcds. For some reason they don't sound like the loaner pair I had with my bifrost/lyr. The magic those had to my ears is non-existent. Of course that loaner pair probably had over 1000 hours of play. If I had to describe the sound out of mine right now compared to that, it would be soft, delicate, and top-tilited. Very clear, not fuzzy, but just a little blah and somewhat fatiguing. The incredible layering of the music I had with the loaner pair is not there. Very "wall-of-sound" like. No magic at all. They do look great though, wood grooves are symetrical and are a LOT darker than any pair I've seen in pictures (they were made mid-january).

Could burn in time be the problem? Are my bleak impressions based of single-ended connections going to change tomorrow when I go fully balanced? How much longer should I burn in before critical listening? I don't want to give up on this system as I've been dreaming about it forever. I had to just buy it or I wouldnt have stopped thinking about it. I can't help but think I made a mistake. I need some support from you gurus...

That's weird, I can instantly hear the sound difference compared to my LCD 2 rev.1 even just straight out of internal amp of Anedio D2 DAC. It's much more smoother with better transparency and more liquid like sounding. Better imaging and air. The only thing is the bass presence, but still they ARE amazingly controlled.

From your impressions, Mjolnir sounds like a very aggressive amp. And I don't think fully balanced or non-balanced will change the sound signature that much. Also I thought mjolnir doesn't have single ended out?

But I do find the sound to settle down just a little after several hours, probably due to the brain burn in.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #509 of 1,285
Thanks for the comments. lcd-3s are plugged in through balanced out, but gugnir is connected to mojo single-ended. I really hope my impressions change, and change fast. This is pretty devistating to me as I've been thinking about headphones and amps an unhealthy amount lately. I just wanted to get a system that would make me truly happy. I heard traces of that in my loaner review but I can't help to think its not there anymore with this new system. I spent so much money on this, and now I feel like a complete idiot.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #510 of 1,285
I will probably have to go for Burson Soloist too, since my Anedio D2 Dac is already extremely neutral which is the right brightness for me and I don't think I can take it any brighter.

Solude? Does soloist's laid back amping soften the bass presence too? because that's what WOO 6SE does to my LCD 2/3 so far (I can clearly hear the reduced bass impact when I use it), I don't want to get a similar result. But I gonna a feeling it might does...:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back