Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread - Page 259

post #3871 of 5699

as much as I love my IE80 I think it's a problem if our main champion is a guy who likes it only after disabling the adjustable bass port and hears a signature completely different than original intented (that and he's moving on :))

 

I remember years ago IE8 was touted as one of the ultimate IEM for bass heads, and usually bass head IEMs are associated with recessed/veiled mids... so perhaps you're just looking for a different signature.

 

Personally I tried to turn the bass dial down to minimum to see if there was more detail and it became more sibilant than I could bear (and I can't really stand fingers sliding on guitar strings either) so now it's back to mid notch.

post #3872 of 5699
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsEatCookie View Post

Where can I get diamond plated cables? :P

 

My main beef with the IE80 is the bloated mid-bass and veiled mids. Other than the tape mod, what can I do to improve it?

 

I heard the legendary cable-smith Merlin makes it. Lives somewhere deep in the Great Britain... 

post #3873 of 5699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokyung View Post

I heard the legendary cable-smith Merlin makes it. Lives somewhere deep in the Great Britain... 

How much do they go for? And does Merlin offer demos?

All joking aside, what source/amp/cable/eq combo that can be easily obtained offers the best sound? Personally, I think the bass quality of the IE80 is great, but I'm looking for less veiled mids and mid bass.
Edited by RobotsEatCookie - 12/9/12 at 10:10pm
post #3874 of 5699

Hi guys.

 

Is there any owners who come from IE8 ? :)

I have been listening IE8 for about 3 and a half years already. Going to sell them before they die :)

 

IE80 is better or worse ? :) 


Edited by Vladimir_F1 - 12/13/12 at 2:34am
post #3875 of 5699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir_F1 View Post

Hi guys.

 

Is there any owners who come from IE8 ? :)

I have been listening IE8 for about 3 and a half years already. Going to sell them before they die :)

 

IE80 is better or worse ? :) 


That's not nice ;) (Sell them before the die lmao). The IE80s are better IMO. More detailed. Slightly smaller sound stage but you get more intimate and clearer mids due to this. Bass focuses more on sub bass. Still it has quite a bit of mid bass IMO but it was acceptable for me at the time. Treble is also more detailed. Overall it's a nice upgrade if you do sell your IE8s. You can get them for $270.00 from amazon.de

post #3876 of 5699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


That's not nice ;) (Sell them before the die lmao). The IE80s are better IMO. More detailed. Slightly smaller sound stage but you get more intimate and clearer mids due to this. Bass focuses more on sub bass. Still it has quite a bit of mid bass IMO but it was acceptable for me at the time. Treble is also more detailed. Overall it's a nice upgrade if you do sell your IE8s. You can get them for $270.00 from amazon.de

I agree :) But who knows, they may work for 5 or even more years :)

 

And what about IE80 cable? I noticed that it is not transparent near the jack as on IE8. 

Any troubles with it? )

 

Thanks for your answers :)


Edited by Vladimir_F1 - 12/13/12 at 3:40am
post #3877 of 5699

I didn't have any issues with my IE80 cable. I agree the IE8 cable is a little more durable/supple. But I didn't find the IE80s cable to be troublesome at all. Still very durable. But I really never used it much anyways since I used a pure silver cable with mine most of the time :).
 

post #3878 of 5699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

I didn't have any issues with my IE80 cable. I agree the IE8 cable is a little more durable/supple. But I didn't find the IE80s cable to be troublesome at all. Still very durable. But I really never used it much anyways since I used a pure silver cable with mine most of the time :).
 

Good to hear that :) 

Would you recommend any good cable under 100 $ for IE80 ? :)

Maybe i would consider to buy it because i often hear that people say about sound improvements :)


Edited by Vladimir_F1 - 12/13/12 at 3:50am
post #3879 of 5699

zeroshoe has some really good cables at really competitive prices. I'd say if you can spring for a bit more go for the Silver Galaxy cable. That is a pure silver cable. Also he has updated the cables after I had asked him to upgrade my specific cables to connectors very similar to the original ones that come on the IE8/IE80s. So the cable is very durable now and you don't have to worry about the IE80s coming lose. I also like his red angel cable. Not sure if they have that specific one anymore but it was silver plated and it also sounded nice on the IE8. What it did was make the IE8s even more smooth. While the Silver Galaxy brings out more treble emphasis, makes the treble more clear and sparkly. It also brings the mids more foward and lessens mid bass (tightened bass).

 

http://myworld.ebay.com/zeroshoe_12000?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
 

post #3880 of 5699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

zeroshoe has some really good cables at really competitive prices. I'd say if you can spring for a bit more go for the Silver Galaxy cable. That is a pure silver cable. Also he has updated the cables after I had asked him to upgrade my specific cables to connectors very similar to the original ones that come on the IE8/IE80s. So the cable is very durable now and you don't have to worry about the IE80s coming lose. I also like his red angel cable. Not sure if they have that specific one anymore but it was silver plated and it also sounded nice on the IE8. What it did was make the IE8s even more smooth. While the Silver Galaxy brings out more treble emphasis, makes the treble more clear and sparkly. It also brings the mids more foward and lessens mid bass (tightened bass).

 

http://myworld.ebay.com/zeroshoe_12000?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
 

Nice, saved this seller :) Thank you for suggestions!

post #3881 of 5699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Contact Razordogg from ebay. Pay him via paypal to bypass ebay to save him and you money. Tell him your lee730 from headfi sent you. He'll give you a good deal. 

Thank you for the recommendation, you are absolutely correct. I just purchased an IE80 from him with a noted referral from you and he was very kind and prompt on communication, even chatting with me through the weekend. Best price in the USA, shipped quickly and arrived in mint condition. I could not have had a better experience with the seller.

Non-ebay: www.razordogdeals.com
ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/razordogdeals
Edited by dan7532 - 12/15/12 at 9:34am
post #3882 of 5699

Hi Guys

 

I am happy with the IE80 bought from a member here to add to my collection. Opposite to many people I am able to get a good fit with the provided mid size regular tips but also added in medium Ts500 complies and these are very comfortable and improved fit.

This pair was originally intended for my wife but I also end up using it a lot. Last time I wore them for about 6 hours in a row with no problem whatsoever on the Ts500 tips

 

Although I think they are originally overpriced sincerely I cannot see single dynamics being better than this. Maybe the sony´s ex1000/7550 but those are way pricier

I am not too much in love with the default cable much because I find it not flexible enough and in cold weather it gets worse. Maybe later down the road I end up ordering a default IE8 cable or a cheap option from sunricky cables at

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/suncableaudio

 

On the rockboxed clip+ my personal settings for eq adjustment are

-1db or -2db at 100Hz at Q 1.5

+6db at 12000Hz at Q 1.5

+8db at 16000Hz at Q 1

First to solve some mid low bass spill, other two for sound brilliance and high treble resolution improvement

On the sony (unfortunately) there´s not much I can do but just ad in 2 or 3 notches up on the 16000Hz range (of course for a fact sony sound quality is an improvement over the samsa´s regardless of the clip much superior programmable flexibility)

As I said this is my personal liking, others might prefer other settings

 

Have one question though, has anyone tried to take out the grills (with a needle or similar) to clean them out on h2o2 solution and insert them back in, is it even possible to take them out and insert them again to no loss ?

 

If not possible I can just touch the grills with a h2o2 filled cotton swab (aligned vertically top to bottom to avoid entering the chamber) for a while and then some roll paper to absorb but first method would be better of course


Edited by ninogui - 12/18/12 at 9:58am
post #3883 of 5699

As I know no one as removed the grills, I think after that you can't put it in place again. This IEM have a very good ratio price sound and they are easy to drive, they are well build and in one year no problem, compared to the TF10 is just day and night, you will enjoy it :)

post #3884 of 5699

Yeah the TF10s are just a laugh in comparison. Simply put there is no comparison IMO (Gremlin vs a Mercedes). ;)
 

post #3885 of 5699

@Lee I like your new avatar, merry Xmas wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread