Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #3,901 of 7,699
Quote:
Theheadphonecompany is UM's agent in the UK, and yes they do provide the service at 380 pounds. To be honest if I were you I would not be pulling the trigger, doesn't look like anyone has tried it out and thus virtually no opinions about the outcome. In case you do want to give it a shot I think it'd be best to send it directly to UM global and let them handle the whole process instead of going through THC, they charge way too much. I might be wrong though, but I don't think you'd get charged custom duty for it in case you do it yourself, since it's essentially an upgrade and not exactly like buying a new product. 

This price seems a bit too much... :) More what I spent for IE80 with cable and tips... If I would give this amount of money for upgrade, than I would definitely sell my IE80 and buy sg in the 6-700 pound price range, like the new IE800. But its not the time for this right now. (Not to mention my budget.) :)
Thanks, by the way. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3,903 of 7,699
Just let you guys know my IE80 broke in the cable (at the joint between cable and housing) just after a few months of normal use. Yeah I thought the cable was pretty durable until that happened. The fatigue kicked in sooner than I thought. Good thing it was under warranty and Sennheiser send me a replacement of the whole thing not just the cable.

I believe there is another forum member here who also reported the failure in the cable.

Is why I love the 2 year warranty with the Sennheiser gear and their no quibbling on it.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #3,904 of 7,699
While I do love my IE80s, I must say that after only 2 months of normal use, the cable split at the right earphone's strain relief, exposing the wiring. I brought it over to Sennheiser with proof of purchase, and they replaced it. All up, I spent 5 minutes there, with great and timely service (actually, it was Syntec International, Sennheiser's Australian contact).

sorry... I dont know what happened....
so, I go on...

IEMs, headphones, speakers... for 2-300 quids you got really good IEMs, middle range headphones and quite low range speakers... Fact...

2, I tried few different silicon tips for IE80. It made me realise, even if u think, u have a good fit/seal, u might be wrong. A perfect seal can improve sound quality 100%...
 Me, personally couldnt find better fit and seal than comply foam. The only disadvantage is, I have to change tips every 2-3 weeks, and its overpriced... 
 But I like IE80 with silver cable, tape mod and perfect seal that much, I might gonna get custom sleeves... If I use them for 2 years, it worth...

If I were in your position (changing Comply tips, expensive as they are, every 2-3 weeks), I'd definitely get ACS custom sleeves. They're not cheap at 120 pounds (http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39&Itemid=90), not counting the audiologist appointment and shipping the mould over.

I think if you bite the bullet once, don't lose the tips and your ears don't grow too much, your enjoyment of the IE80 would be greatly improved, and you could do the maths (spending $20 or however much on 3 Comply sets every 6 weeks for however long your IE80s last, say 2 years, or just buying custom sleeves once). Good luck!

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3,905 of 7,699
Quote:
While I do love my IE80s, I must say that after only 2 months of normal use, the cable split at the right earphone's strain relief, exposing the wiring. I brought it over to Sennheiser with proof of purchase, and they replaced it. All up, I spent 5 minutes there, with great and timely service (actually, it was Syntec International, Sennheiser's Australian contact).

I will be surprised with normal use if any of these IE80 cables won't split or break within 2 yrs. I think it's an insufficient design for the cable near the strain relief, and that will eventually eat some of the profit margin for Sennheiser because of the replacements under warranty.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #3,906 of 7,699
Quote:

I will be surprised with normal use if any of these IE80 cables won't split or break within 2 yrs. I think it's an insufficient design for the cable near the strain relief, and that will eventually eat some of the profit margin for Sennheiser because of the replacements under warranty.

Nah they are a multi million (if not billion) dollar company. This is nothing for them. I never had issues with my IE80 or IE8 cables for that matter and could easily see them lasting more than 2 years. But I do feel the IE8 cable is still more durable.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,907 of 7,699
Quote:
Nah they are a multi million (if not billion) dollar company. This is nothing for them. I never had issues with my IE80 or IE8 cables for that matter and could easily see them lasting more than 2 years. But I do feel the IE8 cable is still more durable.

If you have been using the silver cable, how do you know the stock cable will last more than 2 yrs?
wink_face.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #3,908 of 7,699
Quote:
If you have been using the silver cable, how do you know the stock cable will last more than 2 yrs?
wink_face.gif

Because I put mine through hell before I had the silver cable. I've even slammed it in my door and yanked it hard. Still the thing had no noticeable damage on it. Very strong IMO. On the other hand my Dad has broken 2 IE80 cables. But he is extremely aggressive with his equipment and works out with it. He was synching up the strap really tight under his chin which of course will lead to wear and tear. They aren't meant to be synched that tight. No IEM cable is :p.

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #3,909 of 7,699
I had previously used my IE6 for more than 3 years and had absolutely zero problems with cables. (Until my dog chewed them
rolleyes.gif
) Now the IE80s strain reliefs seems much better to me than IE6 so i`m hoping they last at least couple of years. (And by the way i have never used the fancy storage box).

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #3,910 of 7,699
Hey guys, recently purchased a pair of IE80s from a fellow head fier not too long ago and have been listening to them for some time now and I am throughly impressed by them. I was upgrading from the Miles Davis Tributes which were great for me but thought it was time for an upgrade. The IE80s have great bass that is both strong and impactful without bleeding into the mids and highs. Also the IE80s soundstage is crazy good compared to the Tributes so that is a definite plus. The only problem I really have with the IE80 is comfort. I don't know whether its the tips I'm using or the actual housing but I can't wear them longer than an hour before my ears start to feel discomfort. None of the stock tips that came with the IE80 really gave me great isolation and comfort so I used the medium sony hybrids that I have been using on the Tributes for the past year or so and they provide the best seal and isolation but again doesn't help with the comfort aspect. So I was just wondering what kind of tips fit best with you guys. I've tried the Shure Olives before and they provided really great comfort and isolation but were really difficult trying to take off and on. I've tried Complys but they are expensive and they wear out too quickly. Are there any silicon tips that will provide the best isolation and comfort for me? Thanks again for the help.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #3,911 of 7,699
Got some IE80s the other week, and i am impressed but a little disappointed at the same time. So much so i'm sending them back as i managed to demo some Momentums, which i originally didn't buy because of a review on the fitting which i now disagree with. 

While the IE80 is some of the best detail i've heard on something i've owned, the soundstage is very good, everything is smooth, but the bass was a let down. I wanted something portable for rock, and while these did perform well enough for rock, they let me down in other areas. Certain DnB genres put this IEM into confusion mode, i felt it struggled to portray what i was supposed to hear. But that maybe cause i felt them to have quite a flat and equal response. I'm not a bass head btw.

Female vocals on new age or punk were smooth, but felt lifeless. Though because i've been so overwhelmed with my DT1350s, i think that maybe why. I do like the brightness of Beyers.

I went from minimal bass to max bass on the IE80. I felt the bass to not go very low, and it didn't feel very controlled either, the quantity was fine however. I used the foam tips btw.

As for the case, what a disappointment that was. In the box i saw a lovely brushed aluminium case, opened the box to find a plasticy box with only mild alu. Okay, that's fair enough, but when i opened it, it was hollow. While it's a nice idea, it's not of practical use imo. Wrapping a cable up tightly isn't good and is quite annoying. 

While these first impressions may not be exact, the IE80 was enough for me to be disappointed with IEMs once again. Though, i think despite me wanting some Senns, i'm not really a Senns man after all. I don't think i will ever bother with the HD600/800s either. 

[edit]
While i'm putting them back in the box for return, i thought i'd have one last go. While i was reviewing them through a J3, through an rPAC they were considerably nicer, but as it's an IEM the J3 should suffice imo. The bass does go lower than previously remembered, but it's still definitely not wear i'd like it to be with the J3. I think maybe the sound generally isn't as controlled or maybe as quick (i cringed typing that) as i'd like.

But i know for a sure fact if i used these for a long period of time and didn't swap out, then i'd settle for them. And perhaps i'm being petty? I am open to much criticism btw. :)

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #3,912 of 7,699
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the IE80. I personally never had any problems with the bass being not low enough. I also listen to some DnB, mainly Pendulum and i have to say to my ears they sound absolutely fine.  By the way how the Momentum compares to IE80 in terms of SQ.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #3,913 of 7,699
Quote:
Got some IE80s the other week, and i am impressed but a little disappointed at the same time. So much so i'm sending them back as i managed to demo some Momentums, which i originally didn't buy because of a review on the fitting which i now disagree with. 

While the IE80 is some of the best detail i've heard on something i've owned, the soundstage is very good, everything is smooth, but the bass was a let down. I wanted something portable for rock, and while these did perform well enough for rock, they let me down in other areas. Certain DnB genres put this IEM into confusion mode, i felt it struggled to portray what i was supposed to hear. But that maybe cause i felt them to have quite a flat and equal response. I'm not a bass head btw.

Female vocals on new age or punk were smooth, but felt lifeless. Though because i've been so overwhelmed with my DT1350s, i think that maybe why. I do like the brightness of Beyers.

I went from minimal bass to max bass on the IE80. I felt the bass to not go very low, and it didn't feel very controlled either, the quantity was fine however. I used the foam tips btw.

As for the case, what a disappointment that was. In the box i saw a lovely brushed aluminium case, opened the box to find a plasticy box with only mild alu. Okay, that's fair enough, but when i opened it, it was hollow. While it's a nice idea, it's not of practical use imo. Wrapping a cable up tightly isn't good and is quite annoying. 

While these first impressions may not be exact, the IE80 was enough for me to be disappointed with IEMs once again. Though, i think despite me wanting some Senns, i'm not really a Senns man after all. I don't think i will ever bother with the HD600/800s either. 

[edit]
While i'm putting them back in the box for return, i thought i'd have one last go. While i was reviewing them through a J3, through an rPAC they were considerably nicer, but as it's an IEM the J3 should suffice imo. The bass does go lower than previously remembered, but it's still definitely not wear i'd like it to be with the J3. I think maybe the sound generally isn't as controlled or maybe as quick (i cringed typing that) as i'd like.

But i know for a sure fact if i used these for a long period of time and didn't swap out, then i'd settle for them. And perhaps i'm being petty? I am open to much criticism btw. :)

I think you should try the tape mod before sending them back, at first try with the tape mod, you might not appreciate them, but go through different genres, you will realise why some swear by it, in other words, by removing the bloat, you will find quality. Stop playing with the EQ or DSP and run through your music collection instead.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #3,914 of 7,699
Quote:

I think you should try the tape mod before sending them back, at first try with the tape mod, you might not appreciate them, but go through different genres, you will realise why some swear by it, in other words, by removing the bloat, you will find quality. Stop playing with the EQ or DSP and run through your music collection instead.

Yep. Remove the mid bass bloat via the tape mod and silver cable and you'll find nothing but quality on them. Plus bass impact actually increases. Sub bass it the total focus after the mod. Mids are super detailed (mid centric). Treble is also very detailed. You still have a big sound stage as well and the IEM is much truer to the track after the mod.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3,915 of 7,699
Quote:
Hey guys, recently purchased a pair of IE80s from a fellow head fier not too long ago and have been listening to them for some time now and I am throughly impressed by them. I was upgrading from the Miles Davis Tributes which were great for me but thought it was time for an upgrade. The IE80s have great bass that is both strong and impactful without bleeding into the mids and highs. Also the IE80s soundstage is crazy good compared to the Tributes so that is a definite plus. The only problem I really have with the IE80 is comfort. I don't know whether its the tips I'm using or the actual housing but I can't wear them longer than an hour before my ears start to feel discomfort. None of the stock tips that came with the IE80 really gave me great isolation and comfort so I used the medium sony hybrids that I have been using on the Tributes for the past year or so and they provide the best seal and isolation but again doesn't help with the comfort aspect. So I was just wondering what kind of tips fit best with you guys. I've tried the Shure Olives before and they provided really great comfort and isolation but were really difficult trying to take off and on. I've tried Complys but they are expensive and they wear out too quickly. Are there any silicon tips that will provide the best isolation and comfort for me? Thanks again for the help.

Hey Azn, if the pain is on the outer edge of your ears, it's probably the housing against your ears. However, if you get pain where the tips touch your ear, then perhaps the fit isn't optimal. Assuming it's the latter, I would tentatively recommend the Hippo foam tips from Jaben (mine are brand new, so take this with a pinch of salt):

I visited Jaben in Singapore and was quite impressed with the Hippo foam tips, Medium + size. The + allows a better fit on the IE80's nozzle. At SGD 12 for a pack of 5, they are much cheaper than Complys (although the material isn't as high-quality), so if you replace them monthly as I plan to, you could get by on these very comfortable tips with no problem at all. Twelve Singapore dollars for 5 months of comfort sounds too good to be true -  hopefully they last, as I just bought them.

Like all foams I've tried, they will change the sound a little bit, I find them to slightly dampen the highs, while increasing bass quantity and muddiness. As I'm travelling right now, and listen mostly to EDM, this is perfectly excusable and probably a good thing as they isolate much better. To me, they are also much more comfortable than any other tip I've tried - thus, I recommend you have a shot at these. Try searching - http://jaben.net/shopping2/home.php

I know you said 'silicone', so I'll add that at Jaben, I was able to ask about and audition many kinds of silicon tips which also fit the IE80s well and were comfortable for me. They're a bit hard to get your hands on, but the Beyerdynamic dual flanges isolate really well and are some fairly comfortable silicon tips for my ears. Fischer Audio tips work too (my sister bought the Fischer Consonance, and I like some of their silicon bundled tips, which are totally compatible with the IE80's nozzle). Good luck!

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the IE80. I personally never had any problems with the bass being not low enough. I also listen to some DnB, mainly Pendulum and i have
to say to my ears they sound absolutely fine.  By the way how the Momentum compares to IE80 in terms of SQ.

Hey Filleri, I own and enjoy both. I'd say in terms of SQ, the Momentum has a much more neutral sound signature than the IE80. It's not flat by any means, and it does pack some bass emphasis like most portable 'phones. Both of them have a slightly dull, non-fatiguing treble, which I happen to enjoy, so no comment there. The mids on the Momentum are wonderful, superior to the IE80s if you ask me. As you probably already know, the IE80 packs some seriously awesome bass, both quantity and (to my ears) quality - however, the Momentum is no slouch. They are not at all lacking in bass, and it's more precise and punchy than heavy. I think both headphones sound great, but I'd pick the IE80 for EDM, pop and orchestral, and the Momentum for jazz and acoustic listening on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back