still undecided about these... it's so confusing choosing stuff you can't get to try before committing my hard earned scheckles.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-AD900tagged by System, 4/4/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphonestagged by System, 3/21/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ES7 Portable Headphones, Whitetagged by System, 4/4/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 3/21/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 3/21/11
- productUltrasone PRO 900tagged by System, 6/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- Advice on a new open and closed headphone Last post on 7/5/12 at 7:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help headphones for rap/hip hop 90% of the time Last post on 1/7/12 at 4:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- Detox Beats by Dre Last post on 8/4/11 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Itching 2 Upgrade ! [m50] Last post on 7/19/11 at 2:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Looking Portable Headphones Last post on 6/14/11 at 12:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
In two words, hugely disappointing. I was looking for an open-back 'phone to use as an alternative to my AKG 550s and having owned Sennheiser HD 600s and AKG K701s previously, I thought I give...
Thinksound is a company that’s focussed on sustainable and environmentally conscious headphones. In fact, they even offer a recycling program for headphones with a bonus if you recycle their...
Brainwavz AP001 surely has the cute factor, from its small size and unique contemporary design. But that's for the look. As for features, we might wonder, why Brainwavz designed a...
Review of the CEntrance HiFi M8 LX LX model = Optical input The CEntrance HiFi M8 has a lot of connection and feature combinations. This is the LX / XLR version. What is the...
Before I start my review, I wold like to Thank Penon Audio for providing me with a review loaner of DITA Audio The Answer headphones in exchange for my honest opinion. I tested and reviewed a...
Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread - Page 12post #166 of 9037/29/12 at 4:54am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #167 of 9038/1/12 at 4:25ampost #168 of 9038/2/12 at 4:35pmpost #169 of 9038/2/12 at 7:29pmpost #170 of 9038/3/12 at 4:44am
I've been eyeballing these for a while. In the big "shoot-out" review here, they are compared to be similar to the Senn HD25-1 II, which I own. After rotating through my current HP collection, I picked the HD25s back up and found ---- I really like them! I'm extremely bored with my AT m50.
So the question for me is ---- is it worth the expenditure for these babies, or can I save my money and get a similar sound sig from my HD25s? Obviously no one can answer this, I'm just fishing for informed opinions.post #171 of 9038/7/12 at 9:04amListening to Depeche Mode is a dream on these. I love the ES10's unabashed sense of fun and musicality while still remaining refined. And the bass... just how I like it! Deep and plenty of impact. It's funny, I put these on every time, not expecting much, until I turn on the music... I am impressed every time.
The only thing I wish for was better build on the cable - seems kinda fragile for such an expensive can. And isolation - if only it was up to HD25/DT1350 standards! I may fiddle around with different pads.post #172 of 9038/7/12 at 2:02pmpost #173 of 9038/10/12 at 9:33amSo here are some of my impressions:
If Grado and Ultrasone had a baby, it would be the ES10. Absolutely FUN headphone while being very detailed from top to bottom. The bass is deep and impactful - definitely has the punch I crave. The mids are oh-so-slightly recessed but are crystal clear. The highs are sparkly but smooth simultaneously. I'd say the overall signature is on the fun aggressive side. If you like the HD25s this will be a great upgrade -plenty of PRaT and power which makes metal, rock, and electronica a blast to listen to. This headphone is just unabashed fun. The form factor is actually perfect - looks great on my head and it's very comfortable.
Now for some quibbles. The tonality is not very natural as the headphone is on the colder, brighter side. The decay is great but the tonality itself is slightly off from being realistic. Not a problem if you don't care for something like that. I wish the wire was just a little stronger and thicker but it still looks durable as long as you take care of it. And last but not least, isolation. It's just fine if you are not planning to use on the train/bus but it would've been great if I could use them in those conditions.
Other than that, these are very fun headphones and refined. If you like an aggressive yet smooth sound sig these should be up your alley. A lot of genres shine on these, especially metal, rock, and electronica.
Just because of my preferences, I will probably put these on the FS forum soon in order to put the funds toward something more isolating. If I could afford these and get something else however, these would absolutely be in my stable of cans.
Edited by roma101 - 8/10/12 at 9:37ampost #174 of 9038/10/12 at 4:25pmpost #175 of 9038/10/12 at 11:59pm
I think there's a definite metallic tinge to the sound. Perhaps the titanium cups are to blame? So I can see how some might think that the ES10 are cold. I'd say that the overall sound to me it warm and crispy.
Hmmm. Now I feel like eating something fried...
Edited by Danneq - 8/11/12 at 12:02ampost #176 of 9038/11/12 at 6:37ampost #177 of 9038/11/12 at 3:07pm
Just the opposite impressions.. Warm and forward sounding mids. The emphasis is on the bottom end and mids so I just cannot see how these could be bright as there is (relatively) less energy in the highs. I did make an extension cable for it and that brought a more balanced sound overall- opening up the highs and tightening up the low end to some extent which in turn helped to clean up the mids.
post #178 of 9038/11/12 at 8:23pmIt's all subjective in the end afterall. Those are just my impressions.
The sound of these is addicting. Even my girlfriend wants me to keep them and she's not very fond of my expensive hobby.
Edited by roma101 - 8/11/12 at 8:25pmpost #179 of 9038/12/12 at 3:04pmQuote:
Exactly!post #180 of 9038/12/12 at 6:08pmHm, I don't hear forward mids at all. They're not very recessed (the presentation as a whole is slightly v-shaped but still very balanced) but vocals are slightly distanced to my ears in relation to the other instruments, which IMO is a good thing. Perhaps the differences we are hearing have to do with the recordings and the volumes we are listening at.
- Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601 8 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 18 seconds ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 2 minutes ago
- › Bay Area help 3 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by twelvebears
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Loquah
- › Brainwavz AP001 Portable Headphone Amplifier by earfonia
- › CEntrance HiFi-M8 by CasperBxl
- › DITA Audio The Answer by twister6
- › Questyle CMA800i - integrated DAC, headphone amp, and preamp by project86
- › InEar StageDiver SD-3 by Krisman
- › AKG K845 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones by cs098
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by bodopopa
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)