Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #137 of 1,113
Yeah, I just throw them on when going somewhere, every now and then i glance at it or it comes up on the thread and i have a flashback of anger.
angry_face.gif

Usually don't think about it though because they are on my head.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #141 of 1,113
Jul 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #144 of 1,113
Quote:
The seperation and layering is pretty excellent, the imaging isn't laser-like or anything, especially not compared to IEM's.

The tonality is excellent, perhaps it's the Titanium and fibre-glass versus the plastic in my T5p etc.?

Cloudy as in they don't sound crystal clear, there is a certain haze over everything, so the first 10 seconds I heard them I was concerned it could be a fake, then I noticed that rock music just sounded really really special, and I handed over the money.

The A2000X is more crystal clear and natural, however the ES10 has enough bass to physically vibrate the entire headphone, plus it has more depth / energy (like the T5p) while the A2000X sounds thin, and the MDR-V6 even thinner, in contrast.

So, I have the depth of the T5p and the tonality of the A2000X in a portable headphone, with the bass of an Ultrasone, plus hints of the CK10 coldness.

I compared my (second-hand) pair to a mint / new pair, and I noticed a difference in the leather pads, then I noticed a difference in sound and became concerned a second time that one of them was a very very high quality fake.

Then after further listening I noticed they were both definitely real, and identical in construction, the difference is the leather pads are much stiffer on the new pair, which actually results in a slightly different sound.  I like my used pair better, like a vintage leather jacket.

The clamping force is more than the AD700, and less than the PRO700MK2ANV, so it's actually perfect for me.

There's another user (he doesn't post here) which uses the Tesla T1 and the ES10 as his favorites I think, at home, so I don't think I'm fairytailing.

I'm not sure about their source transparency or purity, I'm not very concerned since I have IEM's for that like the Sony EX700.

Any more specifics you'd like info on?

how would you compare the es10 to the pro700mkiianv, I have the ANV on the way, but I was considering purchasing the ES10 if I can find it <400$ and still have money for the m-100 XD

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #145 of 1,113
I can't remember the PRO700MK2ANV sound very vividly, so no comments there.  I am so happy with Audio Technica sound though, I'll be picking up the A1000X later.

The metallic AT's are really overlooked, I couldn't hear anything special in the W1000X.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #147 of 1,113
Kiteki... having received the Philips Fidelio M1's today I now realise what you mean by saying I need a portable-amp for my WM-Z... when I was at my hi-fi dealer I did think that the DT1350's were underpowered compared to the Amperior (& Grado 225i) but never gave it much thought... I took the M1's out this afternoon for a few hours (the weekly shop etc) and they definitely needed more power to boost the soundstage.

I notice that you have built amps (I'm impressed) so could you have a look at the amp in the link below and let me know what you think (I intend to go with the better op-amps)... I'm new to this headphone malarkey so proper advice is needed... if I have to go for the ALO-RX3 for a good amp I will, the amp I'm after must be hiss-free and cope with a wide-soundstage.... I know I won't get a portable set-up to match my home system but I do want to try and get the best sound I can.

Lastly (back on topic), what is the headband like on the ES10?... I started out with both the ES55 & ES7 but the headband hurt like hell after about 30mins which killed any enjoyment of music.... thanking-you in advance for your help & advice.

Neco Soundlab V3 amp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140777170164?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #148 of 1,113
This vs. Sennheiser HD600?  Don't care about open vs closed, impedance, etc.  Which one will bring me greater euphoria?

Different animals.  Do you prefer snakes or zebras?  I haven't heard the HD600 so I won't comment.  If you're looking for eurphoria you should try an Audio Technica though, or try something not dynamic, like this?

rp_diaph_1.jpg

Will answer your question later OK-Guy. =)

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #149 of 1,113
Quote:
Lastly (back on topic), what is the headband like on the ES10?... I started out with both the ES55 & ES7 but the headband hurt like hell after about 30mins which killed any enjoyment of music.... thanking-you in advance for your help & advice.

I think that the headband on the ES10 is perfect given the weight and balance of the HP.  The ES10 is very light in weight so it does not need a very wide headband.  Also, the cushioning that it has is very nice and more than enough to make them ultra comfortable.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #150 of 1,113
Quote:
I think that the headband on the ES10 is perfect given the weight and balance of the HP.  The ES10 is very light in weight so it does not need a very wide headband.  Also, the cushioning that it has is very nice and more than enough to make them ultra comfortable.

thanks for that Rayzilla... the headbands on the ES55 & ES7 have no padding they're just hard plastic (shame I liked the sound & soundstage of the ES7), needless to say 'comfort' is now big on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back