New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR60-Mod - Page 84  

post #1246 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post



 


Did you cover the entire inside w/ dynamat or just the back of the magnet plate?



Just the driver. But I'm planning on some further mods, so I'm not gonna dynamat the whole thing just to have the cup not be used anymore after the driver is re-housed in wood


Oh please, if you bought the 2 sheet package, you have way more than enough. It only takes like 5 minutes.

post #1247 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaysHi View Post



 


Did you cover the entire inside w/ dynamat or just the back of the magnet plate?



Just the driver. But I'm planning on some further mods, so I'm not gonna dynamat the whole thing just to have the cup not be used anymore after the driver is re-housed in wood


Oh please, if you bought the 2 sheet package, you have way more than enough. It only takes like 5 minutes.


That's the thing, I got enough for the drivers from ArmAndHammer here, nothing more. That's all I planned on for now.

But honestly, my Macbook sounds better with them then my iPod did ran through my amp. Granted, it's no headphone amp, yet it usually clears up a lot of the gunk the iPod spits out. It didn't make it noticeable earlier. Now, I can hear a little bit of high end control that wasn't really there before.
post #1248 of 5003

I would put a little dabble of something on the button to at least break up any reflections.

post #1249 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

 

Bill, what kind of wood is that you are using? Is that 2 1" thick boards glued together? I would love to try that, buy my hole saw will only cut 1" deep. I've been too cheap/lazy to buy a deeper one, so even my 5/4" cuts aren't aligned because I have to flip over to finish my cuts.


If memory serves, it's 1 1/4" or 1 1/2".  I got two boards.  One was thicker than the other.  I started using the thicker board for outer shells and the thinner board for inners.

 

P.S.  I think I'm going to go back to the brushes.  To me, it feels more organic.  I just want the lacquer, not the gases needed to propel it and not any oils or other additives that are part of the spraying process.  As stinky as lacquer is, straight from the can, I'll take that odor over the aerosol spray whose particulates I'm not interested in breathing.  I don't like the way the spray kicks up any ambient dust.  I also don't like how each spray job, however short, becomes a search for the blind spot.  With spraying, you have to get it wet enough to leave that glassy finish but not so wet it drips.  I find myself wanting to put each piece on some kind of turntable to spray from every angle.  I just don't like it as much.  With spraying, the drying time is shorter but the coats are so much thinner.  I find myself getting totally OCD over all of this.  I'm not ready to turn my work area into a dust-free spray zone.  I'm not sure that's me.  This is one of those cases where there's no school like the old school - at least for me.

post #1250 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

 

Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

 

Bill, what kind of wood is that you are using? Is that 2 1" thick boards glued together? I would love to try that, buy my hole saw will only cut 1" deep. I've been too cheap/lazy to buy a deeper one, so even my 5/4" cuts aren't aligned because I have to flip over to finish my cuts.


If memory serves, it's 1 1/4" or 1 1/2".  I got two boards.  One was thicker than the other.  I started using the thicker board for outer shells and the thinner board for inners.

 

P.S.  I think I'm going to go back to the brushes.  To me, it feels more organic.  I just want the lacquer, not the gases needed to propel it and not any oils or other additives that are part of the spraying process.  As stinky as lacquer is, straight from the can, I'll take that odor over the aerosol spray whose particulates I'm not interested in breathing.  I don't like the way the spray kicks up any ambient dust.  I also don't like how each spray job, however short, becomes a search for the blind spot.  With spraying, you have to get it wet enough to leave that glassy finish but not so wet it drips.  I find myself wanting to put each piece on some kind of turntable to spray from every angle.  I just don't like it as much.  With spraying, the drying time is shorter but the coats are so much thinner.  I find myself getting totally OCD over all of this.  I'm not ready to turn my work area into a dust-free spray zone.  I'm not sure that's me.  This is one of those cases where there's no school like the old school - at least for me.


You should really spray any work in a controlled booth, devoid of any particulate with some form of ventilation. It's always good to have friends that do body work because generally they have this already and you may want to try a local body shop see if they would let you use their booth if you bring your own spray material.

post #1251 of 5003

Well, I've done about all I can to my SR60 at this point.

 

1) removed the white cloth grill in front

2) opened the cups and poked 4 holes in the black 'felt' around the drivers

3) covered the inside circumference of the cups with blue tack

4) blob of blue tack on magnet backs

5) removed plastic grill and SR60 emblem, replaced with metal grill

6) quarter-modded ear pads

7) replaced cable with 4' copper cable

 

They sound great!!! Much improved over stock. I am actually amazed at the difference.

It has been a long time since I sold my SR225, but if memory serves these sound as good or better. (Of course that is not a valid assessment going by memory only.)

 

I would go the next step and try wooden cups, but as I am currently traveling around in a motor home, I have no access to shop equipment to do the woodworking for some time to come.

post #1252 of 5003
Thread Starter 

 

Originally Posted by Danthrax View Post
You should really spray any work in a controlled booth, devoid of any particulate with some form of ventilation. It's always good to have friends that do body work because generally they have this already and you may want to try a local body shop see if they would let you use their booth if you bring your own spray material.


Thanks for the advice, but I'm back to the brushes, which I like so much better.  It's just so much more organic.  I get thicker coats to begin.  I can control the amount so I'm not going from wet to drippy.  With surgical gloves, I can handle what I'm painting and manipulate it while I'm working, which I wouldn't do if I were spraying.  People talk about the issue of brush strokes, but if you watch a piece after you've brushed it, the little ridges even out to a clean, glassy finish.  I just really like what has been happening this weekend.  Layer by layer, I think I'm finally beginning to see the reward for being patient.  I feel like a luthier making violins and the varnish is finally building up to the level where everything is like candy.

 

It's about time.  I've had enough servings of humble pie lately.  If I can stay off of that and cream soda, everything might just work out.

post #1253 of 5003

I attached the pads from my Audio Technica ath-ad300's to my Grados

IMG_0733.JPGIMG_0734.JPG

post #1254 of 5003
Thread Starter 

Nice!  Wider soundstage?

post #1255 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceCans View Post

Well, I've done about all I can to my SR60 at this point.

 

1) removed the white cloth grill in front

    ~ haven't done this one yet, not sure I want to

2) opened the cups and poked 4 holes in the black 'felt' around the drivers

    ~ ditto

3) covered the inside circumference of the cups with blue tack

    ~ not yet

4) blob of blue tack on magnet backs

    ~ felt furniture pad

5) removed plastic grill and SR60 emblem, replaced with metal grill

   ~ Wood

6) quarter-modded ear pads

    ~ Jumbo's

7) replaced cable with 4' copper cable

   ~ 4ft. of 4 braid silver

 

They sound great!!! Much improved over stock. I am actually amazed at the difference.

It has been a long time since I sold my SR225, but if memory serves these sound as good or better. (Of course that is not a valid assessment going by memory only.)

 

I would go the next step and try wooden cups, but as I am currently traveling around in a motor home, I have no access to shop equipment to do the woodworking for some time to come.


It's been a while since I had my 225 too, but they have more sound stage and are just as detailed.

post #1256 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post

Nice!  Wider soundstage?



The driver still pretty much touches my ear it just takes the pressure and puts it around my ear instead of pushing my ears against my head. I didn't really notice a change.

post #1257 of 5003
Anybody know where to get some spring steel for a headband?
post #1258 of 5003

Fixed the ear pads made them more cushiony so the drivers are farther away from my head gives the music a fuller sound as if it is all around my ear. I don't know technically terms I guess this is what you mean by sound stage?


 

IMG_0735.JPG

post #1259 of 5003

^^^^

Damn those are ghetto.

But as long as it sounds good.

post #1260 of 5003
Quote:
Originally Posted by sml1226 View Post

Anybody know where to get some spring steel for a headband?


"DIY" stands for "Do it Yourself"

 

Seriously though, look around. If you find something that works, report back. We're not here to hold your hand.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked