Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone - Page 100

post #1486 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post

Overall, I'm happy with both the 5LE and HE-500. Since I bought both used, the price premium for HE-500 was $125, which isn't bad.
 

 

Essentially, what you've taken the time to write out mirrors my experiences with the two.  The HE-5LE is essentially overlooked for some of the excellent prices that they can sell for on this forum.  I, too, eventually waited things out for a bit and then came across the HE-500s.  I used them both, going back and forth to evaluate the sound with some of my favorite music.  What made me initially love the HE-5LE was still there, yet there was something really special that allowed me to get really attached to the HE-500s.  I then knew that I could not own both, as I also had the HE-400s.  So, I decided to put my HE-5LEs up for sale.  The HE-5LEs were nearly new when I purchased them, so they were of the newest flavor.  The new ear pads with the better clips were present along with the nice HifiMAN box.  In the end, my premium to switch from the HE-5LE to the HE-500 was only about $75.00.  That was a very acceptable amount that I could handle.

 

I'm going to live with my HE-400s and HE-500s for a long time.  I also have my Fostex headphones which I can pull apart and tweak at will with regards to applying subtle sound signature changes.  With that, I'm quite content with the 'phones that I own as they bring me much joy.

post #1487 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Essentially, what you've taken the time to write out mirrors my experiences with the two.  The HE-5LE is essentially overlooked for some of the excellent prices that they can sell for on this forum.  I, too, eventually waited things out for a bit and then came across the HE-500s.  I used them both, going back and forth to evaluate the sound with some of my favorite music.  What made me initially love the HE-5LE was still there, yet there was something really special that allowed me to get really attached to the HE-500s.  I then knew that I could not own both, as I also had the HE-400s.  So, I decided to put my HE-5LEs up for sale.  The HE-5LEs were nearly new when I purchased them, so they were of the newest flavor.  The new ear pads with the better clips were present along with the nice HifiMAN box.  In the end, my premium to switch from the HE-5LE to the HE-500 was only about $75.00.  That was a very acceptable amount that I could handle.

 

I'm going to live with my HE-400s and HE-500s for a long time.  I also have my Fostex headphones which I can pull apart and tweak at will with regards to applying subtle sound signature changes.  With that, I'm quite content with the 'phones that I own as they bring me much joy.

 

Ah, I didn't know you sold your 5LE's.  Well, it's early, so we'll see if my initial impressions hold or not.  Several other people have said the HE-500's really grow on you, so I'm not going to rush to any decisions and will see how they sound over time.

 

Are you still using speaker taps and Yamaha receiver with your 500's?

post #1488 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post

Are you still using speaker taps and Yamaha receiver with your 500's?

 

Yes, of course.  And, the HE-400s, too.  It just takes a little discipline to do.  Actually, the volume level where I play the HE-500s was quite near where I would the HE-5LEs.  On paper, there appears to be larger variances in efficiency.  However, in real life, I suspect the efficiency levels between the HE-500 and HE-5LE are much closer than many people think.

post #1489 of 1911
My DHC cable came in, but balanced in this case meant two 3-pin XLR's instead of a single 4-pin XLR. Oops. Just ordered some Neutrik 4-pin connectors from eBay, so I have some soldering ahead of me before I can use the new cable. Meanwhile, I'm listening to both with silver cables using HP out of the Yamaha receiver.

Each sounds great on its own. When I switch I immediately think the new can I'm wearing is slightly lacking something the other was giving me, but within 5min or so, all is great and nothing seems lacking. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1490 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Yes, of course.  And, the HE-400s, too.  It just takes a little discipline to do.  Actually, the volume level where I play the HE-500s was quite near where I would the HE-5LEs.  On paper, there appears to be larger variances in efficiency.  However, in real life, I suspect the efficiency levels between the HE-500 and HE-5LE are much closer than many people think.

So on some level, the HE-400's gave you something better or more complementary to the 500's compared to the 5LE's, is that right? Just curious why you opted to sell the 5LE's vs the 400's.
post #1491 of 1911
My head is a little too small for my HE-5LE's. The earcups sit too low. Is there a head band wrap or something I can put on the top of the headband to raise the position of the cups to the center of my ears ?
post #1492 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternE View Post

My head is a little too small for my HE-5LE's. The earcups sit too low. Is there a head band wrap or something I can put on the top of the headband to raise the position of the cups to the center of my ears ?

Read some used this with double sticky tape:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352734-REG/Sennheiser_052715_H_52715_Replacement_Headband.html
post #1493 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternE View Post

My head is a little too small for my HE-5LE's. The earcups sit too low. Is there a head band wrap or something I can put on the top of the headband to raise the position of the cups to the center of my ears ?

 

I'm not so sure that your head is that small.  There are many people who feel that the headphone cups of the HifiMAN headphones sit a bit too low.  It's unfortunate that HifiMAN hasn't picked up on these comments and applied a simple modification to the band, allowing for better comfort.  I tend to move my headband a bit forward and it seems to lift up the cups a bit for better comfort.

post #1494 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post


So on some level, the HE-400's gave you something better or more complementary to the 500's compared to the 5LE's, is that right? Just curious why you opted to sell the 5LE's vs the 400's.

 

I decided to keep the HE-400s because I went through a bit of a long (one month) process to get them replaced by HifiMAN.  After that extended period of time, I just decided that the HE-400 would remain in my collection.  As you might recall, I was very much on the fence a few months back in the thread here in the responses to chris_himself on the HE-5LE and HE-500.  I really tried to collect a good feeling for the differences between the two, and Chris was pretty good at defining them.  While the HE-5LE appears to not be selling too rapid at the moment, and there are rumors that production has ceased.  But, HifiMAN still has them listed on Head-Direct, so I'm assuming that they are probably just selling off their remaining stock.

 

While the HE-400 has slightly higher distortion levels and a bit more of a jagged frequency response, there's still something with the sound signature that I do like.

post #1495 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post


Chris, how did the Moon Audio Silver Dragons compare to your own brand of silver cables?
Does anyone know what brand wire (if any) the stock 5LE XLR and TRS cables use? Just wondering if it's Canare or just Hifiman's house brand. That aftermarket OCC XLR cable Head-direct sells on their site sells costs quite a bit ($149) - anyone compared it to the stock XLR?

 

Dude, it took me a week to find this and reply to. This is what happens when you turn your hobbies pro I guess..

 

Umm I can't really comment on that, but if I wanted a quick preassembled cable option, I'd go to Moon Audio almost every time. They do good, honest business, their product is solid, and in terms of toughness, it's probably the toughest cable. I ran over mine with my chair like... more than I want to admit in case people wanna buy stuff from me (just kidding) but no it was a great cable and I actually buy Moon stuff regularly believe it or not.

 

Nobody does their own "house" connectors, you'd have to make thousands to break even. They're usually unmarked Neutrik or something. For instance I found out I've been getting raped by Oyaide and Valab when there was the OEM version for like 1/5th the price on plugs.

 

I hope you're enjoying my cable man, they're not the prettiest in the business, but I build them with love (and in the nude) for you guys, so even if you like them only a tiny bit, I've already accomplished more than I thought I would a year ago.

post #1496 of 1911

Buoying up this thread to bill the HE-5LE as an "underrated over-achiever".  Am currently in the process of a/b-ing the 5LE and the 500.  In most cases, so far, I prefer the 5LE.  My musical preferences and ear have a lot to do with it, but the 5LE strike me as being the more honest of the two, although I derive equivalent--but not necessarily equal--measures of enjoyability from either, each in their own unique way. 


Edited by pataburd - 7/12/12 at 9:19pm
post #1497 of 1911

Aside from the small points given to both headphones here and there, both the HE-5LE and the HE-500s are some outstanding headphones.  As a friend used to say several years back: "I wouldn't kick either one of them out of bed for eating crackers."  biggrin.gif

post #1498 of 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post

Buoying up this thread to bill the HE-5LE as an "underrated over-achiever".  Am currently in the process of a/b-ing the 5LE and the 500.  In most cases, so far, I prefer the 5LE.  My musical preferences and ear have a lot to do with it, but the 5LE strike me as being the more honest of the two, although I derive equivalent--but not necessarily equal--measures of enjoyability from either, each in their own unique way. 

 

I'm in a similar spot, having both but my first impressions being that 5LE were more dynamic and detailed, while 500's were smoother and arguably better balanced.  If I were blind choosing between the two for an hour or so, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the 5LE's.  But trying to take my time and really listen for the best of both and then decide which to keep.  Keeping both seems a little overkill as they're not night-and-day different either to my ears.

post #1499 of 1911

Seem to remember an announcement that production of the 5LE was going to end.  Still very much for sale with Head direct though.

post #1500 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by captouch View Post

I'm in a similar spot, having both but my first impressions being that 5LE were more dynamic and detailed, while 500's were smoother and arguably better balanced.  If I were blind choosing between the two for an hour or so, I'm pretty sure I'd choose the 5LE's.  But trying to take my time and really listen for the best of both and then decide which to keep.  Keeping both seems a little overkill as they're not night-and-day different either to my ears.

Cap,

     Invariably, I have been returning to the 5LE.  The 500, to me, are tipped to the bassy side, which isn't a bad thing, per se, but they just seem to impose themselves on the source material, whereas the 5LE let the source "breathe" more naturally.

     But I am much more accustomed to the 5LE, too, since I've been listening to them for the past two months, versus the last few days with the 500.

     

PAB


Edited by pataburd - 7/13/12 at 11:28am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone