New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Mar 25, 2010 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,933

thinker

500+ Head-Fier
March 2010 - Planar cans - Head-Direct's in-house brand HiFiMan is three weeks away from launching its new $700 HE-5LE planar magnetic headphones with a claimed frequency response of 10Hz to 60kHz. Sensitivity is expectedly low at 87dB/1mW, impedance is 25 ohms. A detachable 2m cable with a full-size plug is standard. The velvet ear cushions are exchangable as well. The HE-5LE's weight is 450g without the cable.

6moons-news CES 2010

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 1,933
I gather they've been planning a better version of the HE-5s for some time. Should be interesting as myself and others thought the HE-5s gave just about HD-800 performance for much less money. If the LEs are better yet only $700, it should be quite epic.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any have more information about the HE-5LE, pics? Can't find anything on Head Direct.

Was wondering the same thing. So much of a tease
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gather they've been planning a better version of the HE-5s for some time. Should be interesting as myself and others thought the HE-5s gave just about HD-800 performance for much less money. If the LEs are better yet only $700, it should be quite epic.

This is why I've been holding off on a top end Stax system. If these are well executed and meet expectations, they may set a whole new standard for top tier headphones. I've already built an amplifier in expectation.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by thinker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
March 2010 - Planar cans - Head-Direct's in-house brand HiFiMan is three weeks away from launching its new $700 HE-5LE planar magnetic headphones with a claimed frequency response of 10Hz to 60kHz. Sensitivity is expectedly low at 87dB/1mW, impedance is 25 ohms. A detachable 2m cable with a full-size plug is standard. The velvet ear cushions are exchangable as well. The HE-5LE's weight is 450g without the cable.

6moons-news CES 2010

Spec-wise, it seems identical to the current HE-5. Makes me more anxious to know what sets apart this LE version from the current production. Pics please?

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 1,933
that 60 kHz is really going to make cymbals sparkle with life!

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why I've been holding off on a top end Stax system. If these are well executed and meet expectations, they may set a whole new standard for top tier headphones. I've already built an amplifier in expectation.

You built a new amp just for the possibility of a new ortho to emerge? How about a picture and specification of that? (while waiting for the pictures of the new ortho...)

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and i guess one needs to upgrade one's hearing to a dog level or close because most healthy young humans can't even hear 20khz.

yeah, seriously. I can kind of see the point of extending the range to like 30 kHz, to show that it can likely extend comfortably to 20 kHz. But 60 kHz, seriously?

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 1,933
confused.gif
What?

Where in your hearing capabilities are you close to listen frequencies close to 60kHz? What music recording goes so high as to even bother of those frequencies?

I tell you what those 60kHz is going to make, people who don't understand to think if it has more it should be better, when it doesn't mind...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that 60 kHz is really going to make cymbals sparkle with life!

Anyways, after the rant, lets see how these headphones are...

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 1,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
What?

Where in your hearing capabilities are you close to listen frequencies close to 60kHz? What music recording goes so high as to even bother of those frequencies?

I tell you what those 60kHz is going to make, people who don't understand to think if it has more it should be better, when it doesn't mind...

Anyways, after the rant, lets see how these headphones are...

It was sarcasm. Recordings, in theory, could go to above 60 kHz, but microphones that are used in studios can't pick up those frequencies anyway, and electronic music doesn't make the harmonics go up that high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back