New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
Jul 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,518 of 1,933
Well I just received HE5LE newer version (I think glossy ones are newer) in black box, extra velour pads, extra connectors and 2 cables. HP fit my head perfectly. They are heavy, something like PS1000 but not so looose on head as Grados.
My first impression is "Thank God I didnt take HE500" because they sound so smooth already. I dont want mellower and sweeter sound. For moment I even thought they are some kind of veiled comparing to Beyers but thats because of their signature. Now as they are on my head I feel sound is getting more clear or my brain jus accomodate to changes. Anyway 3 first words coming to my mind while listening is: fantastic balance (better than Beyers which sounded soo balanced vs Denons, much more natural and full sound and great bass from beginning. I hear almost no harsh highs, no accent for that area. Thats why I think it was good idea getting them over HE500. They sound more intimate and less airy than Beyers but we will see how they evaluate in time. Still 2 hours of listening and comparision, which is hard because Beyers after Hifimans sound "compressed" like?:)
Very good news is I have very nice amp for them and I can listen loud/very loud at 11 o clock ( amp operates between 7-17 where Ilisten to 250ohm Beyers at 9 o clock mostly). Still dont have nice source but it will change soon so i expect even more changes for "+".
Once they have more playing hours ill try OCC 7N cable.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,519 of 1,933
Reading this thread, I sort of miss the HE-5LE's needle-sharp treble and accuracy.. =/

I'm basically destined to cycle through HE-500, HE-5LE, and LCD-2 for all my days to come.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #1,521 of 1,933
Been a while since I've posted. I'm sending my almost two-year-old HE-5LEs back to Head-Direct tomorrow for repair and hoping for a good experience. The right ear cup detached during normal, non-abusive usage. I was a bit surprised to see that the ear cup was attached with  nothing more than a pair of small screws screwed directly into plastic. I contacted Head-Direct and Ms. T said that Head-Direct would repair the out-of-warranty headphones and return them to me for $60.  So off they go. I'll keep everyone posted. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,522 of 1,933
Subscribed!

I'm a new HE-500 owner but my early impressions have me thinking maybe the 5LE is a better match for my tastes.

Does the HE-5LE use a different driver than the HE-500 or is it simply a matter of different "tuning?"

Do most of you use beefy head amps or speaker taps? If speaker taps, can you direct me someplace for a quick education on them? I have a powerful vintage Carver Receiver that I currently use but I don't know the specs on the headphone jack...

v/r

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #1,523 of 1,933
I use very powerful amp from EarStream, nbew company from Poland. Its called Sonic Pearl and its great and very transparent audio device.

www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/650635/user_id/55846

Its so powerful that I listen to HE5LE at 9 oclock through CD player and 10-11 is more then loud. My friend uses it with HE6. So I think those speaker amps for Hifimans are exaggerated

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,524 of 1,933
Quote:
Subscribed!

I'm a new HE-500 owner but my early impressions have me thinking maybe the 5LE is a better match for my tastes.

Does the HE-5LE use a different driver than the HE-500 or is it simply a matter of different "tuning?"

Do most of you use beefy head amps or speaker taps? If speaker taps, can you direct me someplace for a quick education on them? I have a powerful vintage Carver Receiver that I currently use but I don't know the specs on the headphone jack...

v/r

HifiMAN revamped the drivers for the 500, with the 500 weighing in at about 25% more than the 5LE.  

Both my dedicated headphone amps, a modified [hybrid] Bada PH-12 and a [ss] KMF, did a more than adequate job with both the 5LE and the 500.  But I did notice better bass control and definition when I drove the 5LE directly from the speaker taps of the Linn Intek integrated.  In some respects I liked the sound of the dedicated amp better than the Linn, and vice versa.  In the end, though, I preferred both the 500 and the 5LE with the KMF.  

The HE-6 needs a bit more than what the KMF can provide.  With the volume knob maxed, the KMF offers moderately adequate listening levels (and enough to demonstrate the 6's superiority in many respects), but more headroom would be better.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,525 of 1,933
Quote:
I use very powerful amp from EarStream, nbew company from Poland. Its called Sonic Pearl and its great and very transparent audio device.

www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/650635/user_id/55846

Its so powerful that I listen to HE5LE at 9 oclock through CD player and 10-11 is more then loud. My friend uses it with HE6. So I think those speaker amps for Hifimans are exaggerated

Your "friend" uses the HE-6 on what?  I can tell you as an owner of the HE-6, Speaker amps are not exaggerated.  I use duel 300 watt mono blocks for my HE-6 rig.  You have to listen to be in the know.  If you haven't heard you have no idea.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,526 of 1,933
Quote:

Your "friend" uses the HE-6 on what?  I can tell you as an owner of the HE-6, Speaker amps are not exaggerated.  I use duel 300 watt mono blocks for my HE-6 rig.  You have to listen to be in the know.  If you haven't heard you have no idea.

Jesus are you serious dude? Thats nuts.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,527 of 1,933
Quote:
Jesus are you serious dude? Thats nuts.

Not nuts - just right..  Really you just got to hear the difference.  I really think the HE-6s are speakers..

beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #1,530 of 1,933
HiFiMan planars are speakers in how they use power. If you've not experienced a speaker amp powering these things, you are missing out on something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back