Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread - Page 57

post #841 of 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZokharaFi View Post
 

I am considering rockboxing my new Clip+, but I want to know what the UI is like before I decide. Does anyone know of anywhere where there is a tour of the Clip+ Rockboxed UI? Or could someone just post some pictures for me maybe? Thank you in advance for any replies.

EDIT: Also, what EXACTLY all does rockbox change (on the clip+)?

 

Best regards,
ZokharaFi

 

Manual has some pictures.  Could also download the simulator and run it on your PC if you want to try it out:  http://rasher.dk/rockbox/simulator/

post #842 of 970
I'm about to buy Hifiman HE-400 headphones and was gonna use them with my iphone 5 until I saw this. Anyone use this combo?
I was going to add an amp as well, any good suggestions for use with the Rockboxed Sansa clip+? How does it sound straight from the clip?
post #843 of 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halonoonan View Post

I'm about to buy Hifiman HE-400 headphones and was gonna use them with my iphone 5 until I saw this. Anyone use this combo?
I was going to add an amp as well, any good suggestions for use with the Rockboxed Sansa clip+? How does it sound straight from the clip?

 

Personally I think it would work. I have not heard the combo but I dont see why it wouldnt sound nice. If your lacking some power you could always get a portable amp - some are very affordable and nice 

 

edit: checkout the fiio e6. Its small. Cheap, nice sounding and decent power. 


Edited by Mitchell4500 - 12/7/13 at 6:52pm
post #844 of 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane View Post
 

So just how good does a Rockboxed SansClip+ sound on an absolute scale?  Not on a "this is amazing for $40" scale.  I'm getting a bit exasperated with the Fiio X3's mp3 playback issues and also want to use rockbox's database customization.  Is it really "this is great, period" good?  Or is it just "this is great.... for $40" good?  I do have high-res music, but given current space limitations, I'm probably going to be listening to high bit-rate 16-bit mp3's. Thanks.

 

there is a great in depth analyzation using state of the art tools by a very well known person in the audio world.  He is often referred to as valdimort on this site b/c he got banned, but if you google "clip + measurements" his result will be at the top.

 

essentially what he proves, is that the clip + sounds very very good.. assuming you are not one of those people who doesnt believe that objective measurements mean anything that is... Personaly -   Long story short, i have owned many of the "top of the line" headphone equipment over the years, including the algorhythm solo, some $1000+ desktop units, and so on, and when i used my a/b box to switch between them and my clip+ or zip, i could never tell that any improvement was happening.  Since then, My on the go rig has consisted of nothing but a rockboxed clip zip, and my westone es5's (their flagship $1000 custom IEM's)  and frankly i have yet to hear anything, desktop or portable that has improved over it.

post #845 of 970

double post

post #846 of 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post
 

 

there is a great in depth analyzation using state of the art tools by a very well known person in the audio world.  He is often referred to as valdimort on this site b/c he got banned, but if you google "clip + measurements" his result will be at the top.

 

essentially what he proves, is that the clip + sounds very very good.. assuming you are not one of those people who doesnt believe that objective measurements mean anything that is... Personaly -   Long story short, i have owned many of the "top of the line" headphone equipment over the years, including the algorhythm solo, some $1000+ desktop units, and so on, and when i used my a/b box to switch between them and my clip+ or zip, i could never tell that any improvement was happening.  Since then, My on the go rig has consisted of nothing but a rockboxed clip zip, and my westone es5's (their flagship $1000 custom IEM's)  and frankly i have yet to hear anything, desktop or portable that has improved over it.


man u are preventing me from getting x3!!!

post #847 of 970

and can someone tell me if the bio equalizer is any good??

 

there was some article on it

post #848 of 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardar17 View Post
 


man u are preventing me from getting x3!!!

Just get the clip

post #849 of 970

everybody should get at least one clip. it costs nothing and you will always find some use for it, as main gear or for sport.
I have one dedicated to audio-books, one for sport and 2others around just as life savers when my main gear gets out of power.

 

on the not so great side:

the electronic noise when it's buffering is driving me mad on sensitive IEMs.

I find the imaging to be a little too intimate (the nice word for small).

power is on the weak side compared to monsters like dx100 dx50 x3, but it's still ok for most "portable" phones.

no line out for amps. I find it to be a real problem. yes you can use an amp with the headphone out, but it's double amping and the amp of the clip is certainly not perfect.


on the bright side:

it's so damn small!!!!!!!!!!

it doesn't hiss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it doesn't have a stupid output impedance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so your favorite multidriver IEM doesn't get its signature fukced up.

rockbox if you're willing to learn how to use it well.

it sounds tonally right, something not all daps can pretend to do.

 

in the end depending on your needs you can find it's a little crap, or you can find that it pwns your sony, hisound, AKxxx. it really depends on what you're looking at.

post #850 of 970

Just discovered this thread. 

 

The RBed Clip+ is one of my favorite DAPs. Had one for a month or so and then sold it when I decided that 7 DAPs was 5 too many...

 

Found one on the classifieds Free to a Good Home and couldn't pass it up. Such a fun player that costs almost nothing. Yes, the buffer sound is annoying, but that is the only downside. It's super small, has the integrated clip for the gym, doesn't hiss, and takes up to a 32gb card! What value! Love being able to use RockBox themes and EQ to really get the best out of my BA200s. I recently tried the Clip with my DN1000s and couldn't be happier. The sound of this ~$30 player is just great. Really couldn't ask more out of a portable solution.

post #851 of 970

You can put a 64GB card if you prefer.

post #852 of 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDedale View Post

You can put a 64GB card if you prefer.

FAT 32?
post #853 of 970
I don't remember which file format I've used but yeah probably.
post #854 of 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDoe View Post
 

Just discovered this thread. 

 

The RBed Clip+ is one of my favorite DAPs. Had one for a month or so and then sold it when I decided that 7 DAPs was 5 too many...

 

Found one on the classifieds Free to a Good Home and couldn't pass it up. Such a fun player that costs almost nothing. Yes, the buffer sound is annoying, but that is the only downside. It's super small, has the integrated clip for the gym, doesn't hiss, and takes up to a 32gb card! What value! Love being able to use RockBox themes and EQ to really get the best out of my BA200s. I recently tried the Clip with my DN1000s and couldn't be happier. The sound of this ~$30 player is just great. Really couldn't ask more out of a portable solution.


100 percent right.

it sounds better than all non android sony dap's i have or had.hands down u can feel the diff.

 

but the eq sucks,even the rockbox one which dosen't really have something like mach 3 bass or clear bass.

 

so when i used brainwavz m3 or mee151 with it,,,i wanted better bass buteven with tinkering it was nothing towrite about.but now i got gr07 mk2 and i couldn't be happier.

but sq is diff between rockboxed version and official version.

 

official sandisk version has warmer sound and more bass emphasis(not much diff though but i feel it)

post #855 of 970

Finally got hold of another clip+ after my previous one went due to the jack problems. Initially done the trick putting a bit of card inside to hold the contacts together but the solder went on all points where the jack connects to the pcb :(

 

Need to play around with the settings now it's rockboxed. Running Sennheiser CX870's with it atm as my daily and sounds great.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › SansaClip+ Rockbox Impressions thread