or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings - Page 32

post #466 of 3714

Stokowski 2nd

Earlier today I noticed how far back this thread had gotten. Since I have been going Mahler crazy lately I decided that I would have to post, not only to share my latest acquisitions but to also bump the thread back to the front where it belongs.

In the last two weeks I’ve received the MTT 2nd, and just today I received the Denon Inbal 2nd and 3rd. I also received the BBC Stokowski 2nd (Live in mono)

I’m listening to the Stokowski 2nd on my little computer speakers while at work. It’s an amazing performance, it is bringing freaking tears to my eyes. I wish it were as well recorded as the MTT. Tonight I’ll post my opinion on it’s sound quality after listening to it with my K1000’s.

I am hopeful concerning the Inbal 2nd and 3rd. In the past I liked the production values of Denon recordings.

The finale Just finished of the Stokowski Mahler 2nd and it passed the goose bump test better than any other recording that I’ve heard. Highly recommended.
post #467 of 3714
Thread Starter 
If you like Inbal/Dennon that set is now available on the super cheap Brilliant Classics label that you can often find on Ebay. Not to be confused with the other Brilliant label set which is mix/match Mahler featuring the Horenstein 3rd.
post #468 of 3714
Ok, today I decided on a whim to listen to Rattle's M2, I didn't much care for it the first time I gave it a spin, I think it has grown on me? Odd...

Scott
post #469 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
Ok, today I decided on a whim to listen to Rattle's M2, I didn't much care for it the first time I gave it a spin, I think it has grown on me? Odd...

Scott
I have tried the Rattle several times and I just really do not like it too much. Seems a bit too languid for my taste, I much prefer the Mehta which seems to have the gravitas without the torpor, ymmv of course. I really wanted to like the Rattle, but nope, just didnt happen. Of course I never used to like Wagner and now.....so maybe I just need to listen to it another 20 times
post #470 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by hciman77
I have tried the Rattle several times and I just really do not like it too much. Seems a bit too languid for my taste, I much prefer the Mehta which seems to have the gravitas without the torpor, ymmv of course. I really wanted to like the Rattle being a fellow brit and all , but nope, just didnt happen. Of course I never used to like Wagner and now.....so maybe I just need to listen to it another 20 times
Funny thing is I hadn't listened to the Rattle in a while, just picked it up and listened. Maybe this timr out I was looking for anything, a casual listen made me appreciate it more....I don't know.....maybe I am just fickle
post #471 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
Funny thing is I hadn't listened to the Rattle in a while, just picked it up and listened. Maybe this timr out I was looking for anything, a casual listen made me appreciate it more....I don't know.....maybe I am just fickle

Perhaps it gets better with age

I have Rattles M9 and I quite like that but I had heard such raves for the Rattle M2 that maybe I was expecting too much. But hey if we all liked the same things life would be very dull.

Also I wish I had Cds that improved when you left them for a while
post #472 of 3714
Sometimes when something gets overhyped I have a bad initial reaction to it. but with time I can grow to like it. Though I recently picked up the Chailly 3rd and it is WONDERFUL, I plan to pick up his 9th when the SACD is available here in the states.
post #473 of 3714

Solti Mahler 1

Once again DA has nailed a recommendation. I have been very dissastisfied with my Mahler 1 recordings. I currently own the Tennstedt/Chicago and Haitink/Concertgebouw recordings of this symphony. They are good, but there are problems that make me think that they are falling just slightly short of what I am looking for. I am looking for the "that's it!!" reaction to the recording.

I found a copy at a Hastings today of the Solti Mahler 1, and I remembered DA recommended this recording as his top choice. It was in that Universal Edition series so I got it for $6.99. I came home and listened to it. "That's it!!" Recorded in 1984, I remember being in school then and the general consensus was the Chicago symphony at that time had the best wind section in the world. I listened to this recording and it is amazing! The timbres and tone quality of the wind instruments is perfection. They nail every nuance at all the dynamic levels with tight cores to their sound. Solti does an amazing job with controlling the sonic landscape from the static backgrounds of the strings and winds while soloists are exchanging lines, to the triumphant passages by the brass. Intonation especially in the softs is really outstanding. This is an area where my other recordings falter at times. The timing and transitions seem very natural and right on. The sudden changes in dynamics and thematic material are done dramatically without being forced at all. What a performance!!

I was actually fortunate to hear this piece done by the Chicago symphony two years after this recording. I remember being in the back of the hall and when the brass played, you could feel the skin on your face being blown backwards. It was pretty amazing.

My next task is to go see what DA has recommended for the 2nd. I am sure it will be another "that's it!!" recording.

Cheers,
dshea
post #474 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Once again DA has nailed a recommendation. I have been very dissastisfied with my Mahler 1 recordings. I currently own the Tennstedt/Chicago and Haitink/Concertgebouw recordings of this symphony. They are good, but there are problems that make me think that they are falling just slightly short of what I am looking for. I am looking for the "that's it!!" reaction to the recording.

I found a copy at a Hastings today of the Solti Mahler 1, and I remembered DA recommended this recording as his top choice. It was in that Universal Edition series so I got it for $6.99. I came home and listened to it. "That's it!!" Recorded in 1984, I remember being in school then and the general consensus was the Chicago symphony at that time had the best wind section in the world. I listened to this recording and it is amazing! The timbres and tone quality of the wind instruments is perfection. They nail every nuance at all the dynamic levels with tight cores to their sound. Solti does an amazing job with controlling the sonic landscape from the static backgrounds of the strings and winds while soloists are exchanging lines, to the triumphant passages by the brass. Intonation especially in the softs is really outstanding. This is an area where my other recordings falter at times. The timing and transitions seem very natural and right on. The sudden changes in dynamics and thematic material are done dramatically without being forced at all. What a performance!!

I was actually fortunate to hear this piece done by the Chicago symphony two years after this recording. I remember being in the back of the hall and when the brass played, you could feel the skin on your face being blown backwards. It was pretty amazing.

My next task is to go see what DA has recommended for the 2nd. I am sure it will be another "that's it!!" recording.

Cheers,
dshea
The Solti/Chicago 1st from 1984 was my "first" Mahler 1st on cd, though I had heard others. The first cd I ever heard was Abbado's 1st, also a ver fine performance. But yea, the thing that's always struck me about Solti's 1st was how fantastic the playing is. I used to come home from school, slap 'phones and and totally zone out to that recording, just because it's so beautiful. I've heard many many Mahler 1sts over the years, but the ones I go back to most are Walter's, Judd's and Solti's.

(Anyone else have the Judd w/ Florida? Awesome recording..)

As for the 2nd, as much as I've loved Slatkin's 2nd over the years, I really haven't come across a "that's it!" recording of the 2nd. Though Kubelik's has always been one of my favorite's as well.. Inbal was close, so was Maazel, but both of them have parts that really bother me.

-jar
post #475 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshea_32665
My next task is to go see what DA has recommended for the 2nd. I am sure it will be another "that's it!!" recording.
it will either be rattle/emi, klemperer/grotc emi or litton/delos with the latter 2 more highly recommended than the first.

all 3 are excellent recordings but have their individual strengths imo.
post #476 of 3714
My Ozawa arrived today, jsut listening to it now so I won't post any impressions, kind of odd the Blumine was recorded much later than the rest of the piece, we'll see how it fits.

Scott
post #477 of 3714
How does the Solti 1st with LSO compare to the one with Chicago?
post #478 of 3714
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottder
How does the Solti 1st with LSO compare to the one with Chicago?
The performance is really not as different as the sound. Solti developed a trademark sound with CSO that featured very prominent brass section which helps give the lift or energy Solti was famous for. The LSO version was chosen for release on Decca Legends series so very good sound, but the CSO version is no less fine. I do own both since I have Solti complete Mahler set and do not want to part with either one.......does this mean Ozawa was not a reference M1 for you

I believe earlier I mentioned a Solti/LSO/London 2CD M1,2 that Arkiv was selling.......here performance does play a factor and I do prefer the later CSO M2 as Solti pushes himself to new limits here in thrilling performance with Solti at his peak artistic level making LSO M2 sound tame in comparison.
post #479 of 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel
The performance is really not as different as the sound. Solti developed a trademark sound with CSO that featured very prominent brass section which helps give the lift or energy Solti was famous for. The LSO version was chosen for release on Decca Legends series so very good sound, but the CSO version is no less fine. I do own both since I have Solti complete Mahler set and do not want to part with either one.......does this mean Ozawa was not a reference M1 for you

I believe earlier I mentioned a Solti/LSO/London 2CD M1,2 that Arkiv was selling.......here performance does play a factor and I do prefer the later CSO M2 as Solti pushes himself to new limits here in thrilling performance with Solti at his peak artistic level making LSO M2 sound tame in comparison.

Actually I haven't spent much time with the Ozawa yet, so I won't comment on it.

Thanks for the insight on the Solti/LSO

Scott
post #480 of 3714
Upcoming release:

Simon Rattle/CBSO - Mahler Symphony 8 (February 2005)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings