Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Nov 15, 2004 at 10:19 AM Post #436 of 3,718
I got the new Chailly Mahler 9 on SACD this weekend. Its sounds fantastic to me (redbook layer only as no SACD player as yet). Mind you the only other 9 I have is Bruno Walter's live recording from 1938 so I wonder what the rest of you think of Chailly's new 9 ?

Nov 15, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #437 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG
Even if he successfully makes his point musically, his crawling tempi are often hard to bear.

This may be true of his later (DG) recordings, although not invariably so. But not in the earlier (CBS/Sony) recordings. Compare, for example, the 1st movement of Bernstein's 6th with the painfully slow version of Barbirolli.

Nov 15, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #438 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamont
This may be true of his later (DG) recordings, although not invariably so. But not in the earlier (CBS/Sony) recordings. Compare, for example, the 1st movement of Bernstein's 6th with the painfully slow version of Barbirolli.

Quite true Jamont.......I can think of only a couple exceptions where the later DG versions are more vibrant/energetic (ie Schumann 1-4 symphonies) than the earlier Sony (CBS) versions, the younger Bernstein was passionate and bold in his performances of all composers.

Perhaps what Jay is referring to is Bernstein's tendency to exaggerate music contrasts for dramatic effect......for this crime he must plead guilty, but that is the reason I am drawn to him.

Nov 15, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #439 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcolbeck
I got the new Chailly Mahler 9 on SACD this weekend. Its sounds fantastic to me (redbook layer only as no SACD player as yet). Mind you the only other 9 I have is Bruno Walter's live recording from 1938 so I wonder what the rest of you think of Chailly's new 9 ?

Must...resist....Arrggh!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #440 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Perhaps what Jay is referring to is Bernstein's tendency to exaggerate music contrasts for dramatic effect......for this crime he must plead guilty, but that is the reason I am drawn to him.

On this point, I am in complete agreement.

Nov 15, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #441 of 3,718
I agree with DA here, this is a more polite , laid back 2nd from Abbado. I kind of like it, I think the first movement could have a hair more energy. The sound is pretty good, despite being a tad recessed. No chronic coughers (I do SO hate that).

Not the BEST 2nd, but I am not disapointed to own it.

Next... Chailly's 2nd.

Scott

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #442 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcolbeck

If you want to send me a copy, I'll be glad to let you know!
smily_headphones1.gif
But I have really enjoyed his 3rd and I have high hopes for his 2nd as well. We shall see.

Scott

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:50 AM Post #443 of 3,718
DA,

i'm sorry to be so persistent, but how would the abbado 2nd measure up to the litton version? a quick description would suffice. thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #444 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
DA,

i'm sorry to be so persistent, but how would the abbado 2nd measure up to the litton version? a quick description would suffice. thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the Litton version better. He is closer to Bernstein, Rattle and others who are more forceful and energetic in thier performance. Also the sound quality of Delos is about the best available, I rank the Litton/Delos as one of the top 5 versions for me.

I may have been too quick to judge, but went ahead and sold my new Abbado 2nd on Amazon.......just not going to get much use in my collection.

Nov 17, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #445 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I like the Litton version better. He is closer to Bernstein, Rattle and others who are more forceful and energetic in thier performance. Also the sound quality of Delos is about the best available, I rank the Litton/Delos as one of the top 5 versions for me.

I may have been too quick to judge, but went ahead and sold my new Abbado 2nd on Amazon.......just not going to get much use in my collection.

ah, i see. such a pity. all that anticipation! but i simply cannot accept a laid-back 2nd.

thanks for saving me a heap though, DA.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #446 of 3,718
Besides DA's recommend of Bernstein for 1st, what other good recordings are there. I have a DG Originals of Kubelik that is quite nice.

I also have the Bernstein from the Complete set with NYPO
Scott

Nov 19, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #447 of 3,718
I have Tennstedt/Chicago and Haitink/Concertgebouw which are okay, but I am not blown away by either of them. The Haitink is probably the better of the two, the Tennstedt is live. I guess this doesn't help too much in that if you were looking at these and wondering if they were reference quality, I would say not.

dshea

Nov 20, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #448 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Besides DA's recommend of Bernstein for 1st, what other good recordings are there. I have a DG Originals of Kubelik that is quite nice.

I also have the Bernstein from the Complete set with NYPO
Scott

There is the Horenstein/Unicorn........but has been out of catalog for awhile and used copies are extremely expensive.

I really like Solti's take on 1st symphony, two versions available here early LSO and later CSO:
CSO 1
LSO 1
LSO 1,2

I listed the Solti/LSO/London 1,2 because doesn't cost much more than single CD. However the preferred version of Mahler 2nd for Solti is his CSO version only available on complete set, one of top 5 versions available IMO. His LSO Mahler 1 is probably his best versionof that work, although the CSO 1st can hardly be faulted.

The Kubelik/DG Originals 1st you have is nice version also. There is a live stereo Kubelik 1st which is supposed to be even better but I haven't heard it.

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #449 of 3,718
I picked up the new San Francisco Tilson Thomas SACD of the 2nd. Frankly I am a little disappointed. So far I have liked all of the TT SF Mahler SACD's and this one doesn't appear to measure up. I’ll listen again tomorrow and try to post a more in depth report. Maybe my expectations were to high after his exceptional 3rd.

More Later

Nov 21, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #450 of 3,718
Been doing some more Mahler listening............

After the slight stumble by Abbado's new 2nd, I have been playing around with CD burner and black CD-Rs. I have "condensed" my 2 CD versions of Mahler 2 down to one CD by making select edits. Listened to the amazing Bernstein/Sony 2nd again last night, what a revelation. The performance doesn't have the sheer energy or force of Solti/CSO/London but what Bernstein does so well is exaggerate contrasts thus setting up climaxes to seem overpowering.

One of the strongest features also is Bernstein's masterful control of vocal and choral parts to blend seamlessly with orchestra in a unified vision of overwhelming beauty and apocalyptic power.......like a host of seraphims parting the heavens revealing all to mankind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back