Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Nov 21, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #451 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
I picked up the new San Francisco Tilson Thomas SACD of the 2nd. Frankly I am a little disappointed. So far I have liked all of the TT SF Mahler SACD's and this one doesn't appear to measure up. I’ll listen again tomorrow and try to post a more in depth report. Maybe my expectations were to high after his exceptional 3rd.

More Later

Yikes, what has been your prefered 2nd before this?

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #452 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Been doing some more Mahler listening............

After the slight stumble by Abbado's new 2nd, I have been playing around with CD burner and black CD-Rs. I have "condensed" my 2 CD versions of Mahler 2 down to one CD by making select edits. Listened to the amazing Bernstein/Sony 2nd again last night, what a revelation. The performance doesn't have the sheer energy or force of Solti/CSO/London but what Bernstein does so well is exaggerate contrasts thus setting up climaxes to seem overpowering.

One of the strongest features also is Bernstein's masterful control of vocal and choral parts to blend seamlessly with orchestra in a unified vision of overwhelming beauty and apocalyptic power.......like a host of seraphims parting the heavens revealing all to mankind.

What kind of edits did you make? And why Black CDR's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #453 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
What kind of edits did you make? And why Black CDR's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends how much time must be shaved to get total time under 80 minutes CD limit, sometimes just remove movement IV "Urlicht" which cuts 5-6 minutes.

Using blank black CD-Rs among several other types trying to find best sound available for CD-R copy.

I see where they are now selling CD-Rs with 90 minute/800 mb capacity, but need CD burner/software that is set up for this.

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #454 of 3,718
My silver disc based collection of Mahler’s 2nd. I have at least five different No 2’s on vinyl, unfortunately at the moment all of my vinyl is in storage.

Abravannel/Utah 1967 Silverline Classics DVD-A
Klemperer/Philharmonia 1963 EMI
Klemperer/Bravarian Radio Orchestra Live 1965 EMI
Mehta/Isreal 1994 TELDEC
Chailly/Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra 2001 London
Kaplan/London 1988 BMG
Kaplan/Wiener Philharmoniker 2003 London CD
SACD of same MIA
Slatkin/Saint Louis 1983 Telarc
Levi/Atlanta 2002 Telarc
Litton/Dallas 1999 Delos
SACD of same
Thomas/San Francisco 2004 SACD
Haitink/Royal Concertgebouw Complete Cycle
Bernstein MIA

I am upset that I can’t locate two of my recordings (MIA).

Asking which is my favorite is like asking a father to pick a favorite amongst his children. The only one I’d recommend against purchasing is the Silverline DVD-A. I found it a lackluster performance with mediocre Sonics.

I sort of take back what I said last night about the TT 2nd on SACD. Those comments pertain to the 5.1 surround mix. This morning I listened to it on my K1000’s and my impression was very favorable. The sonics are excellent, and the performance is good ie. Workman like.

My favorite 2nd is the first recording that I ever heard of it. The Levi/Atlanta Telarc disc. After listening to the TT 2nd this morning I revisited the Levi/Atlanta. The old Telarc is beginning to show it’s age, at least as far as the sonics go. Dynamic contrasts come up a bit lacking compared to the TT and the Litton SACD’s. I then listened to the Chailly/Royal Concertgebouw recoding, which is also an excellent performance.

Here is the bottom line: Goosebumps. When done right the finale will raise my Goosebumps, and bring tears to my eyes. It is sort of like seeing GOD (coming from a devout agnostic). So here are the rankings of the three versions that I have listened to in the last 5 hours.

1)Levi/Atlanta sound=good Goosebumps=Big time and Every single time
2)TT/San Francisco Sound=Outstanding (especially vocals) Goosebumps=some
3)Chailly/ Royal Concertgebouw Sound=Very good Goosebumps= Not so much

Now that I am all Mahlered out, time for some King Crimson

Later

Nov 21, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #455 of 3,718
Quote:

Depends how much time must be shaved to get total time under 80 minutes CD limit, sometimes just remove movement IV "Urlicht" which cuts 5-6 minutes.

Using blank black CD-Rs among several other types trying to find best sound available for CD-R copy.

I see where they are now selling CD-Rs with 90 minute/800 mb capacity, but need CD burner/software that is set up for this.

Interesting, though I wouldn't want to cut anything myself, but that's just me. 2 disc versions don't bother me, since I just rip them to my ipod anyway and make a single playlist from them.

Scott

Nov 21, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #456 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes

1)Levi/Atlanta sound=good Goosebumps=Big time and Every single time
2)TT/San Francisco Sound=Outstanding (especially vocals) Goosebumps=some
3)Chailly/ Royal Concertgebouw Sound=Very good Goosebumps= Not so much

I really like the Chailly as well, so far I haven't been disappointed with any of the Mahler Chailly has done, his 9th just came out to rave reviews, I may need to pick that up.

Scott

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #457 of 3,718
Picked up Walters 1st for $7 used. Yay!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #458 of 3,718
Not sure which version you have, but the Walter/Sony Mahler 1,2 double CD is very popular with critics. Walter has a certain style that may not be everyone's cup of tea for Mahler.

Nov 24, 2004 at 4:45 AM Post #459 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Picked up Walters 1st for $7 used. Yay!
smily_headphones1.gif

This recording was my first experience with Mahler. It's a great performance, no doubt, though there seems to be a little battle over tempo between the tympani and the bass in the opening bars of the 3rd movement.
blink.gif

-jar

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #460 of 3,718
Masonjar,

I've read one of your posts regarding Severance Hall. Please see the following...http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94488

Thanks for any information regarding the Masonic Auditorium.

I will also say that I like Mahler's First and Forth symphonies the best. They sound the most hopeful (IMO, but I don't think I've heard them all). The Forth symphony has a part that sometimes makes me think that a big truck is driving up behind me...

JF

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #461 of 3,718
Quote:

Not sure which version you have, but the Walter/Sony Mahler 1,2 double CD is very popular with critics. Walter has a certain style that may not be everyone's cup of tea for Mahler.

I believe this is an earler version, just the first.

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #462 of 3,718
I can't bear this thread to be on page 3, what an outrage, it should be stickied due to its great importance.
wink.gif

I am listen to my MTT recording of Symphony 3 and I have completely changed my opinion to its sound quality which I had problems with earlier.

I got a new sound card off my laptop, and with this higher quality, this recording sounds incredible. My setup just wasn't up for it before. This makes me happy because I am a big fan of this orchestra, and wow what a sound. I guess I am going to have to shell out some more bucks to get some of the others. Maybe I can get it from Santa, so I won't really feel assaulted in the pocket book.

dshea

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #463 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
I can't bear this thread to be on page 3, what an outrage, it should be stickied due to its great importance.
wink.gif

I am listen to my MTT recording of Symphony 3 and I have completely changed my opinion to its sound quality which I had problems with earlier.

I got a new sound card off my laptop, and with this higher quality, this recording sounds incredible. My setup just wasn't up for it before. This makes me happy because I am a big fan of this orchestra, and wow what a sound. I guess I am going to have to shell out some more bucks to get some of the others. Maybe I can get it from Santa, so I won't really feel assaulted in the pocket book.

dshea

I have Chailly 3rd on SACD and it is INCREDIBLE, I can't wait till the 9th is available on SACD in the US.

Scott

Dec 1, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #464 of 3,718
I'm pretty disappointed with the Walter 1st, it's just seems dull compared to the Kibelik 1st I have, and I think I'll be sticking with that. At least until my Ozawa 1st arrives....please...someone stop me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #465 of 3,718
Quote:

Walter has a certain style that may not be everyone's cup of tea for Mahler.

Walter's relaxed broad readings work sometimes for certain works, but I am not a big fan of his in general.

Solti for Mahler 1...........he will not let you down.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back