Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jan 1, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #496 of 3,718
Speaking of Abbado/CSO/DG M2,4
Just listened to this yesterday, here is my take.
The M4 is only average and cannot surpass any of the many great M4s out there, Von Stade (flicka) vocals are well suited for the "childs vision of heaven" but still cannot elevate this to compete with best versions overall.

The M2 I do like better than newest DG live version, everything goes quite well up until crucial closing passage. The sound is good, performance passionate and alive......I am thinking to myself this may be candidate for top 5 M2. Then surprisingly Abbado pulls in the reigns and gives us a somewhat subdued reflective apocalyptic finale, I am puzzled, it is like they secretly put in another conductor for last few minutes to finish symphony. So unfortunately this will not make my top 5 M2 simply because the crucial last couple minutes are not done with the overwhelming power/energy needed.

As for the new MTT Mahler series......I refuse to pay those outrageous prices being asked and will wait to see if any show up for realistic used price down the road, I can wait.
cool.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #497 of 3,718
This begs the question, what are your current Top 5 M2's DA?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #498 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
This begs the question, what are your current Top 5 M2's DA?
smily_headphones1.gif

OK this is just raw list of top five, but not ranked in order of absolute best:
Bernstein/Sony (newer DG version almost as good)
Rattle/EMI
Mehta/Decca Legends
Solti/CSO/London
Litton/Delos

Just outside my top 5 but banging at the door:
Klemperer/EMI GROTC
Kaplan/Conifer (don't laugh this guy is for real)

New versions I haven't heard yet:
Chailly/London
MTT/SFS Label
Gielen/Hanssler

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #499 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
OK this is just raw list of top five, but not ranked in order of absolute best:
Bernstein/Sony (newer DG version almost as good)
Rattle/EMI
Mehta/Decca Legends
Solti/CSO/London
Litton/Delos

Just outside my top 5 but banging at the door:
Klemperer/EMI GROTC
Kaplan/Conifer (don't laugh this guy is for real)

New versions I haven't heard yet:
Chailly/London
MTT/SFS Label
Gielen/Hanssler

I've heard the new Chailly (lucky enough to find it used), it's quite good. I don't know if it'd make it to your top 5, but it's a wonderful recording (I'd say the new Chailly Londons have a pretty forward sound, without being crowded.). I've heard the newer Kaplan, and I was quite impressed.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #500 of 3,718
Quote:

Speaking of Abbado/CSO/DG M2,4
The M2 I do like better than newest DG live version, everything goes quite well up until crucial closing passage. The sound is good, performance passionate and alive......I am thinking to myself this may be candidate for top 5 M2. Then surprisingly Abbado pulls in the reigns and gives us a somewhat subdued reflective apocalyptic finale, I am puzzled, it is like they secretly put in another conductor for last few minutes to finish symphony. So unfortunately this will not make my top 5 M2 simply because the crucial last couple minutes are not done with the overwhelming power/energy needed.

I haven't compared this to many other versions and am going off the top of my head without actually looking in my records (LPs) to see what I have stashed down there, but I know that I have at least heard the Kaplan version, and did not care for it. I think I may have a Tennstedt version also.

One of my criteria for large scale symphonic works is the brass section... they had better be good. IMHO it doesn't get any better than the 70s/80s CSO, at least consistently. And the soloists in the Abbado version also sound very good to my ear.

I will need to keep an eye out for the Rattle/EMI version, and perhaps the Litton/Delos as well.

Jan 2, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #501 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
One of my criteria for large scale symphonic works is the brass section... they had better be good. IMHO it doesn't get any better than the 70s/80s CSO, at least consistently. And the soloists in the Abbado version also sound very good to my ear.

Good point about the soloists for Abbado/CSO M2, if I had written longer description I would have made special mention of Neblett/Horne and how beautifully thier vocal parts mesh with orchestra, they are times when they have an etherial quality that float beautifully above the music.

As said before 95% of this would make my top 5 M2 list, but the downshift at the closing to a solemn reverence instead of going all out in a blaze of glory does not make it for me. To a smaller extent this is also what the excellent Klemperer version lacks and also keeps it out of my top 5.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #502 of 3,718
I received the Chailly SACD of M9 last week and it is wonderful. If there is a more beautiful first movement in symphonic history than M9, please let me know.

Also received the Tilson-Thomas SACD of M2; initially at least, I prefer Kaplan's SACD of M2.

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #503 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origen
I received the Chailly SACD of M9 last week and it is wonderful. If there is a more beautiful first movement in symphonic history than M9, please let me know.

Also received the Tilson-Thomas SACD of M2; initially at least, I prefer Kaplan's SACD of M2.

Must....resist!

Jan 17, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #504 of 3,718
Quote:

If there is, I haven't found it. It's definately my favorite Mahler movement. That would obviously place it above every movement of any symphony by anyone else (since Mahler is my favorite symphonist), and above any piece of classical music period.

Though if you ever get the chance to hear the completed 10th in a live setting, don't hesitate. The last movement just destroyed me. In a good way.

-jar

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #506 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Fat chance!
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Are you trying to imply I have no willpower?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #507 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Are you trying to imply I have no willpower?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not at all. We both know that you will. I'm just waiting to hear your impressions. Remember, I've still got a credit with Arkivmusic, and I want to use it wisely.
tongue.gif

BW

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #508 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Not at all. We both know that you will. I'm just waiting to hear your impressions. Remember, I've still got a credit with Arkivmusic, and I want to use it wisely.
tongue.gif

Psst let's wait till DA hears it first.

*Has visions of Mikey and the Life cereal commercials now*

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #509 of 3,718
Quote:

Good point about the soloists for Abbado/CSO M2, if I had written longer description I would have made special mention of Neblett/Horne and how beautifully thier vocal parts mesh with orchestra, they are times when they have an etherial quality that float beautifully above the music.

Yeah, I think it is Carol Neblett singing the 4th movement that just seems to float there... absolutely beautiful. None of the other versions of the 2nd that I have heard hold a candle to that one.

And I normally don't particularly care for vocal music. Reminds me of when I was a music major (percussion/timpani... seems like another lifetime now) playing in a going away concert for an artist in residence (another mezzo soprano). Didn't have much of anything to do, but I sat there just mesmerized, listening.

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #510 of 3,718
Quote:

My favorite Mahler movement too! But somehow the first movement of the Brahms 4th does even more for me. I think my second favorite Mahler movement is 6-1.

How about Bruckner? There it must be 9-1.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back