zxr vs x7
Mar 19, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Audio-GD NFB-15, $270 + shipping ($45)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

And a Sound Blaster Z sound card (used, OEM) to connect the NFB-15 to.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 8
For surround sound, the ZXR wins hands down.

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 8
Had the ZXR and moved over to X7 to have a more complete package. The main issue was the usability: the analog volume knob is terrible and the impedance was too high (about 30 Ohms if I remember correctly).
Definitely advise to save up some money and get the X7 (the same components of the ZXR but in a more complete and well put together way).

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 8
I've never used the ACM and I've had the ZXR since it was released, haha.  I think putting so much focus on the ACM is a little silly, it's a volume knob and a mic with input/output jacks.

IMO there are two huge strikes against the X7.  The main one is the price, I don't think a 100W stereo amplifier and being housed in an enclosure justifies almost doubling the price of the ZXR ($499/$399 (LE/Std) vs. $230, on Amazon).  With that price difference you can get the ZXR and buy a real stereo amplifier/receiver like this Yamaha on Crutchfield while still coming out cheaper.  I guarantee any reputable brand stereo receiver is going to blow away the amplifier housed in the X7.  By the way, this is pretty much the same amplifier that is inside the X7 ($20), Texas Instrument's TPA3116D2.

The other strike is the fact the X7 can't decode DTS, much less DTS-HD Master Audio.  The only movie sound codec the X7 can decode is standard Dolby Digital.  Even if you are only going to use stereo speakers this still is a huge strike because you won't be able to play Blu-Rays that are without a Dolby Digital track.  You also lose out on the higher resolution audio of DTS-HD MA/Dolby TrueHD which you would still benefit from in stereo.

Overall I think the product is too expensive for what it offers.  I believe the price tag is too high for the people who would enjoy it and won't impress those that can afford it.  I don't own it nor have I ever heard it, but based on reviews (users and websites) and the info provided by Creative, that is how I feel about it.  If it was $299 instead of $399, then I might recommend it to certain people in specific scenarios.  It's just really hard to recommend a 5.1 DAC + 2.0 Amp that can't play any 5.1 signal other than DVD quality Dolby Digital.  If you actually read the page link posted below, it actually talks about DVDs and the word Blu-Ray is nowhere on the page.

Here is the information on the $499 Limited Edition model.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 8
For me the price difference was justified by the comfort of only using one device for multiple purposes. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 8
  So the ZXR is basically the same as the X7 just the X7 has the housing and external?

Read my post...   The X7 can't even decode 5.1 DTS and it uses a $20 amplifier for its 100W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back