ZX Amateur Cables
Dec 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
Anybody have experience with this company? If so, how do they compare to APS as far as build quality and sound go?

I'm looking at two recable options for my D5000:

1. 10 ft. APS V3 recable with Super Nylon and a Furutech 1/4 plug which after shipping/customs/taxes there and back winds up costing me around $450.

2. 10 ft. ZXAC Truth recable with Furutech 1/4 plug, ViaBlue cable splitter, and Nylon Multifilament sleeving, which after taxes and shipping and customs is around $375.

Is the APS worth the extra ~$75, or should I just get the ZXAC? The APS cables look much more professionally done and high quality, but I don't know anything about ZXAC so I can't comment on how they would sound or anything.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 17
When I add all that stuff to cart for the ZXAC cable I get $250. Are you sure you aren't doing it wrong?

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 17
It's $279 Canadian and I get charged 13% HST, plus border charges, plus the cost of shipping them there and border charges for the trip there.

The APS cable is $340 Canadian with all those options, plus all the other things factored in, bringing it to roughly $100 more than the ZXAC.

Those prices are all just estimating the shipping and border costs from previous purchases though, could be more or less.

And momomo, I don't know about the ZXAC, but the APS certainly is not. I've had the chance to hear it on DT880s side by side with the stock and the difference is shocking for a simple cable change. The only reason I'm not jumping on it is the cost, but if I didn't have to pay border fees and taxes, it'd be more than worth the price of $340 and shipping.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 17
Well all the wire I use is the same as DHC's and is the highest grade of stranded copper out there.

I would to comment more but I feel I can't at all since I don't pay to be a premier sponsor.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 17
You'll find that scootermafia of DHC and Zombie-X of ZXAC to take the time and effort to use the cleanest materials, and offer bs free communication, as well as refrain from extraneous pricing.

I actually bought some of the snake oil marketing out there... before finding out what it was like to work with reputable folks..

ENJOY...

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 17
Yeah I handle all of his recables because he doesn't have time since he build lots of other stuff.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 17
Damn, I've never heard of all those taxes...I just mail stuff with a realistic (cheap) value on it, there's no taxes or duties for my Canadian bretheren that I've ever heard of.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, I've never heard of all those taxes...I just mail stuff with a realistic (cheap) value on it, there's no taxes or duties for my Canadian bretheren that I've ever heard of.

It's not 13% everywhere, just in some parts of Canada. Unluckily, I happen to live in one of those parts.

Border fees are a given with any shipped electronics, although I forget what the % you have to pay is, I believe it's somewhere in the 4-6% of the cost of the product range.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 17
You can just have them mark "cable repair" on it and you won't be charged.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 17
Another vote of confidence for ZXAC, I bought an hd580 cable from ZX and it sounds terrific and is well built. He even fixed my cable for free even though the damage was my fault. All around great guy to deal with. I will definitely be getting some more cables from him when i go balanced next year.

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 17
I can't directly compare to APS, because I've never had the pleasure of using one of their cables, but I can attest to the quality of Zombie_X's product. I got to meet him; he's a really cool guy and he's put a lot of work into this hobby.

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #15 of 17
Not sure where you're from, I'm in Toronto where we have 13% local tax, but it's not applied to imports.
I bought a 10" HD600 UP-OCC cable from ZX few months back for a very fair price (PM him) and it's been working great. He updates you on the progress of your order and sends you a pic if you ask. I sent it back for repairs once and he covered shipping both ways. Never got hit on duties either way if you go USPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back