ZVM versus Zune
May 27, 2008 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
Oh god, I just can't pick.

I own an Archos 605, but I want something smaller for general use, not just the video watching stuff. I bought a Clip, but while it's great, I broke it, and I'm looking for something new. Either the ZVM or the Zune 80, basically, both having nice controls.

I got a deal for a Zune (In Holland) for 190 euros, which isn't cheap, but it's a hard-to-get player over here. I also got a deal for a ZVM, with a BSE, a docking station, and a charging adapter for 150 euros. So, the ZVM is cheaper. It also uses WMP/MTP, which is somewhat better than the Zune's propietary stuff. Also, afaik, there's no wired remote for the 80 gigabyte version, is there?

However, the Zune has double the battery life, twice the screen space, better controls, and it's much better looking, not to mention that the UI should be a lot better as well.

What do you guys suggest? I will be pairing it with an amp sometimes, and I plan to get UE-11's.

Here's some questions:

How good is the ZVM line out compared to the headphone out on the Zune?
Is there a wired remote for the 80 gigabyte Zune?
How good is the Creative firmware?
Can either of the firmwares enqueue songs for play next?

May 28, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 6
You seem to have a good handle on the Zune pro's. Advantages for the ZVM:

1. Better video quality.
2. Custom EQ capability, a mandatory feature in my book.
3. Uses MTP so all common subscription services are supported, plus you can use any of the good media manager programs such as MediaMonkey (although from what I read the Zune has been cracked so you can now use it with common media management software, which is good because otherwise I would consider the requirement to use proprietary management software a serious downside.)

I would forget all of the opinions you are about to read about one being significantly better than the other with regard to SQ... they're both very good. For an audio-only player the Zune might win out, but the lack of custom EQ would be a deal-killer for me. Hopefully it will be added in the next gen (although I'm not holding my breath because Apple still has not figured this out...)

May 28, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 6
I own both (have two ZVMs in fact, a long story, but am going to sell one), and it's a tough call. The Zune is more elegant, nicer screen and interface, and the sound is solidly good, without EQ (I thought that would be a problem, but it really isn't). I don't even mind the Zune software any more, with the 2.5 fixes.

Now, on the flipside, I do like the line out from the ZVM, and use it with my Minibox more and more. I hardly ever use the Zune with an amp, since I don't think it makes all that much difference. But you got me thinking, so I may do more comparing between the Zune and ZVM when both are hooked to the Minibox.

As for remotes, I don't believe there is a wired remote for the Zune. I use the wireless remote with the Zune a/v doc, which is great for hooking the Zune up to our home stereo system. I also have a ZVM dock, and my wife uses it with her office stereo, but no remote.

Tough call. I like them both, for different reasons. But when it comes to long flights or train rides, I go with the Zune. Less brick-like and a great headphone out sound.

May 28, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

As for remotes, I don't believe there is a wired remote for the Zune.

There is a remote for the Zune 30. Not confirmed to work with Zune 80, though.

May 28, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a remote for the Zune 30. Not confirmed to work with Zune 80, though.

Yeah, I cant get a confirmation on that yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back