Zunes DO have a line out. Sort of.
Nov 1, 2007 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

audiomagnate

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got a Zune travel kit today which included a remote control, which is BTW compatible with the Zune coming out on the 13th. Anyway, the remote has two amplified headphone outs each with their own little volume controls. I was surprised to find that the headphone outs on the remote are not affected by the volume control on the Zune itself, so they must be getting a line level feed. The amp (or amps?) in the remote sound really bad and are very noisy, but it's good to know a line level output is right there on the port. I'm very tempted to chop the head off my remote and figure out which three or four wires carry the line feed and stick a jack on the end to hear what the Zune sounds like through my Xenos.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 12
Do it!

"Sorry about your wallet."
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 12
@audiomagnate

Before you do that, find the EFN post on these forum where he talks about the lineout on the Zune remote. He tried the same thing as you and the lineout didnt work.

Nov 1, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for saving my remote. Why would MS do this? Bizarre.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for saving my remote. Why would MS do this? Bizarre.

Because it's Microsoft
580smile.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 12
Interesting, I wonder if toshiba still has a hand in design of the sound circuits. I know the first zune used a wolfson codec and everyone said it sounded great. Maybe the LOD will be easier to access on Zune 2. The design of the zune 2 looks pretty cool. Although I do wonder why they chose 320 x 240 for the resolution on the bigger screen, seems it would be easier to pick out the pixels.

Also I wonder with wi-fi if it would ever be posible to load a mobile web- browser if the zune 2 gets rockbox'ed or cracked.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 12
I have a feeling that the amp is somehow partly responsible for the lack of useful line-out, but couldn't you just try to bypass the amp and leave the rest intact and see if that works? At least it would be fairly reversible if it didn't, and it wouldn't hurt to try.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Can anybody confirm or deny whether or not the AV output cable or the dock provides a line feed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back