Zune Vs. Vibez Vs. X5(L) - Sound Quality?
Jan 25, 2007 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tman1

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone been able to compare any of these regarding sound quality (headphone out)?

It's time for me to finally get a DAP but I can't quite decide between these three. Audio is much more important to me than video. Each has gotten many positive comments about the headphone out. I currently use EP630s for portable use (also have PX-200s, KSC-35s, and SR-60s).

I LIKE the Vibez' removeable battery, the X5L 35 hours, the drag and drop capability of the X5L (is the Vibez drag and drop?), the Vibez audio features (adjustable EQ, gapless, etc.), the design of the X5, the small size of the Vibez, the larger capacity of the Zune and X5, [edit: the FM capability of the X5 and the Vibez], the album art capability of the Zune and Vibez.

I DON'T LIKE the Zune proprietary software, the Zune battey life (I plan on keeping the player for longer than a year), the larger size of the X5L and Zune, the pre-set EQs of the Zune (but if the flat sound quality is really good this doesn't really matter), the reports of Vibez hissing/hard drive noises at low volumes with EP630s, and the Zune and non-rockbox X5L not being gapless (although I could probaby live with them since the gaps are reportedly very small).

I DON'T CARE about WiFi song sharing and whether or not it works (I'd never use it), and I could probably live with the 12 GB capacity of the Vibez, although I'm a little wary that larger flash players are right around the corner (I have over 1000 CDs but only about 5 of them are ripped to my computer at the moment).

The only thing keeping the Zune as a possibility is reports of great sound quality. I WANT the Vibez to have the best SQ because of the small size, removeable battery and audio feautures, but I haven't seen any comparisons between that and the Zune or the X5 (I'm sure the main reason is that the Vibez and the Zune are new).

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Great great question. Looking forward to hearing what people think.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great great question. Looking forward to hearing what people think.

Thanks! I am too (but I'm not holding my breath since I don't think many people have heard two - much less all three - of these yet).

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 8
I've owned two X5Ls (and ran the first one into the dirt), so I'm very familiar with the sound. Let me say that, in terms of software, the Zune stands no chance. The Zune's interface is beautiful (gorgeous, really), but very superficial. A rockboxed X5 is so deep and sophisticated that you'll lose yourself for weeks manipulating the sound, and since you can save every preset, you'll lose yourself for months tying certain signatures to certain albums and artists. Throw in every audio codec under the sun and well over 30 hours of battery life, and you've got a really, really remarkable player.

That said, the Zune sounds better. It just does. I'd rather listen to a 320kb/s mp3 on the Zune than WV or FLAC on the X5L. Whatever Microsoft did here, they did it right where it counts. Yes, I want wider codec support, I want gapless, I want Snake II (O_O), I want parametric EQ, but that's only when I'm not listening to the music, because I don't want anything when I am. So that's my 2 cents.

And the Zune has FM, too. Although the X5 has audio recording and FM recording, which is pretty cool.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned two X5Ls (and ran the first one into the dirt), so I'm very familiar with the sound. Let me say that, in terms of software, the Zune stands no chance. The Zune's interface is beautiful (gorgeous, really), but very superficial. A rockboxed X5 is so deep and sophisticated that you'll lose yourself for weeks manipulating the sound, and since you can save every preset, you'll lose yourself for months tying certain signatures to certain albums and artists. Throw in every audio codec under the sun and well over 30 hours of battery life, and you've got a really, really remarkable player.

That said, the Zune sounds better. It just does. I'd rather listen to a 320kb/s mp3 on the Zune than WV or FLAC on the X5L. Whatever Microsoft did here, they did it right where it counts. Yes, I want wider codec support, I want gapless, I want Snake II (O_O), I want parametric EQ, but that's only when I'm not listening to the music, because I don't want anything when I am. So that's my 2 cents.

And the Zune has FM, too. Although the X5 has audio recording and FM recording, which is pretty cool.

Ditto.
No comment on the Vibez...have yet to try it.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 8
I felt the opposite way. They both sound very good and the Zune gets somewhat louder, but I found that on complex and layered music (such as Mezzanine by Massive Attack), the Zune's soundstage sounded a tiny bit more compressed. There's also something funky about the Zune's upper midrange that I can't quite put my finger on.

The X5 has pretty much the same amount of depth and clarity but feels less weighty in the mids and overall sound. Basically, the sound signatures are different. I find the X5 has a better tendency to sound light and airy with the right synergy, but the Zune certainly sounds rather aggressive.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt the opposite way. They both sound very good and the Zune gets somewhat louder, but I found that on complex and layered music (such as Mezzanine by Massive Attack), the Zune's soundstage sounded a tiny bit more compressed. There's also something funky about the Zune's upper midrange that I can't quite put my finger on.

The X5 has pretty much the same amount of depth and clarity but feels less weighty in the mids and overall sound. Basically, the sound signatures are different. I find the X5 has a better tendency to sound light and airy with the right synergy, but the Zune certainly sounds rather aggressive.

After spending some time with it I agree, to an extent. The Zune midrange leaves a little to be desired (though I'd love to hear it through the Shure E430's or whatever), but I think it handles complicated pieces better than the iAudio. I thought the X5 was great for rock and pop music, but it couldn't properly layer artists like Massive Attack or Hooverphonic. I've experienced what sounds like audio miracles in the past week going through my trip-hop collection, and Boards of Canada...
basshead.gif

I don't know..If I thought for one second that rockbox wouldn't be coming to the Zune at some point then I'd say get the X5, but I think it will, and when it does this thing will be a monster.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 8
I dunno, I respectively disagree with the layering part (actually I thought the opposite in favor of the X5, but it might be due to headphone synergy or something). Regardless, I think it's most fair to call them different but equal on the sound side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back