Zune vs Ipod vs Cowon
Dec 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hal1

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new player and have narrowed it down to the Zune, Ipod classic, or Cowon D2.
I will be listening to everything from classical to hard rock with sennheizer hd-580 precision.(i have also vincent headphones amp.)
The most important thing is sound quality. I need something that doesn't have that annoying hiss during soft segments and that doesn't roll off on the lows and highs.
Also important but not as much so is battery life, user interface, and support for other audio formats.

CHEERS.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 12
Well for good SQ I would go for the Zune 120 or the Cowon D2.

For movies go for the Zune 120.

Battery Life:

Zune 120- 32 hrs audio/5 for video $250
Zune 80- 25 hrs audio/4 for video $230 ($160 at Circuit City)
iPod Classic 120- 38 hrs audio/8 for video $250
Cowon D2 16- 50 hrs audio/10 for video $175 on amazon.com

The Zune 120 does not has an EQ but the Cowon D2 does. However, you are using an amp so it doesn't matter as much.

My personal recommendation would be the Cowon D2. No required software you can just drag and drop files, plus it has the SDHC expansion slot, more compatable file formats, and it's cheaper. The Zune is a very close second for me.

*One thing to note however-The Cowon D2 has been said to have a hiss with some headphones, although since your using an amp, this *should* not be a problem.

*Another thing is that if you go with the Cowon D2, be sure to update to the latest firmware, as it's somewhat buggy right out of the box.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 12
I have not personally heard a Cowon so cannot comment on it although lots of good things have been said about it here in these forums.

However, I do recommend the Zune over the iPod. I think the audio is marginally better even without the EQ present in the 80/120. I also prefer the Zune software versus iTunes. I have a large music library kept on an external HDD and iTunes can be slow and cumbersome with it despite the fast computer it operates from. Lastly I like Microsoft's approach to software/firmware updates where ALL Zunes benefit from the new features as opposed to Apple's 'throw-it-away-and-buy-a-new-iPod-if-you-want-the-latest-stuffs' mentality.

So, narrow your choice to either Cowon or Zune.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes but with a lod the ipod has the superior sound quality to a zune but then you need a amp...

Easy. Take the amp out of the equation and get a Zune. Win-win.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy. Take the amp out of the equation and get a Zune. Win-win.
smily_headphones1.gif

correction take the amp out n get the D2
wink_face.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticstryk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Battery Life:

iPod Classic 120- 38 hrs audio/8 for video $250

if you look at the actual battery life tested by ilounge.net, the ipod classic 120 actually gets 42 and a half of battery life.

27.jpg

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 12
I've owned both the classic and the Zune 120. I'm sticking with my 120 and my classic is now my dedicated "car-fi" rig. The battery life is equal to my classic in the time between charges. Sound quality-wise, the zune is far better than my classic with a LOD. The signal coming from the headphone jack is just as clean if not cleaner than the ipod's LOD i've found, even without an EQ. I haven't tried the D2 but it seems to be the most popular around here, thats all i can say about it.

My vote is for the Zune, obviously. Good luck on your search otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back