Zune Troubles
Jan 17, 2007 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nin3th

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently received a zune, but have had several problems with it, and any info on how to deal with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Setup: Zune>LDM+>ATH-A700

1)My battery life is extremely short,(4-6 hours max on regular playback).

2)Songs occasionally skip like a scratched DVD in the beginning.

3)After changing songs, the entire player freezes for any period between 2-30 seconds, and once it froze permanently. (thankfully recoverable due to the up/back reset combo)

Anyone that knows how to fix any of these problems, I would greatly appreciate the Knowledge.

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 19
Fix: Return Zune, buy an iPod!
tongue.gif
Sorry I couldn't resist also....lol!

Jan 17, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 19
Can you reformat the player? It's possible there's a DB corruption. That likely isn't responsible for the bat life, but see if it solves the rest.

Jan 17, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 19
Sounds like you have a broken Zune. If you just received it can you exchange it for a working one? if not maybe a call to tech support might help. Those problems which you describe don't seem normal. Also are you using the current firmware? If not flashing it might help as there were reports of freezing with the initial firmware.

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 19
I think the battery life of Zune is not great. I think I am getting ~10 hr max, but I would guess its due to the screen. I have not noticed other problems like what you describe.

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nin3th /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have recently received a zune,

Recieved huh? Did you buy it, was it a gift, was it an auction win?
I agree with the others, sounds like a return, exchange, or a trip to warranty repair center is in order here. From the sounds of your post, is this not possible?

Quote:

1)My battery life is extremely short,(4-6 hours max on regular playback).

Is this due to playing videos/movies maybe? I'm not even sure if you could replace this battery... would need to do a bit of research on that.

Quote:

2)Songs occasionally skip like a scratched DVD in the beginning.

Have you checked for any firmware updates?

Quote:

3)After changing songs, the entire player freezes for any period between 2-30 seconds, and once it froze permanently. (thankfully recoverable due to the up/back reset combo)

Again, any firmware updates?

Quote:

Anyone that knows how to fix any of these problems, I would greatly appreciate the Knowledge.

I think these problems are pretty unacceptable. I'm not sure, but it sounds as if there could be more going on here than software issues. I think you need to get it checked out.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 19
Received meaning some really smooth talking on my part to the important people at microsoft, but let's not get into that.

I think the battery life may be from the backlight, because even without watching any video, the lifespan is still really short. 1/3 of my total power is used up within the first 30 min. of use.

I wish I could just turn off the backlight, but then I can't see anything, even if I held a flashlight up to the screen.

I have the most recent firmware, and so I think I might just need to return it.

Thanks for the reccomendations.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fix: Return Zune, buy an iPod!
tongue.gif
Sorry I couldn't resist also....lol!

Yeah, because nobody ever has any problems with iPods.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 19
Although you might not beleive me, I have many friends who have had their earlier generation ipods freeze in a very similar manner. The main difference is if the Zune freezes alltogether, it can be unfrozen with a reset combo of up and back buttons held down at the same time. The Ipod doesnt even have a hard reset capability.

Besides, a zune is a huge jump from my 2003 Nomad Jukebox Zen Extra. I actually really liked it besides the massive size.

30gb
highly intuitive customizable playlists
good old black and white screen
battery life of 16 hours

If the headphone jack wasn't screwed over, it would still be my device of choice.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 19
hm it really sounds to me like you got a defected zune. even on the zune forums i have not even heard of these problems. it does really sound like a harddrive issue and regarding the battery life. if you watch movies all of the time then its going to be 4 hours but i sat through a 10 hour session with these and they coulda kept going

Jan 18, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 19
I think the battery problem with only music playing is maybe because you play with the menu a lot.
Give another Zune a go if you liked it, and if it doesn't work, then..you know what to do.
Good luck,

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 19
Ditto. Although they usually add switching the hold switch back and forth before you do that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back