Zune to cost $249
Oct 2, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_utero
Eh, no FLAC, no OGG, no widescreen, no Mac support, combined with my current investment in iTunes videos... this is a no-go for me...

Nice list, but iPod doesn't support Ogg or FLAC or have a widescreen either...

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetzilla
But the DRM is not added to the file. The player won't let it play anymore after that time. The DRM is in the player, not added to the file, which is what was being discussed. There is DRM built into the player for the wireless Zune to Zune transfers.

I don't understand the big uproar over this, other than it makes the wireless feature kind of useless. It was something that Microsoft HAD to do in order to avoid being sued, and to get companies on board to support the Zune store.

I get you
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't see what's the differeance between putting it on the file or using the player to implement the drm...no matter how they do it that file becomes a brick either way...

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetzilla
I don't understand the big uproar over this, other than it makes the wireless feature kind of useless. It was something that Microsoft HAD to do in order to avoid being sued, and to get companies on board to support the Zune store.

because, it seems to be THE feature they are trying to push demonstrating why its better than the competition. when you actually look at it, its very crippled. both in the battery sense and the drm.

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
because, it seems to be THE feature they are trying to push demonstrating why its better than the competition. when you actually look at it, its very crippled. both in the battery sense and the drm.

battery life is just pathetic. very few players have such a low battery life now. Even players from a few years ago, which were bought and have been used since then are probably still holding a better charge than 12 hours.

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14
battery life is just pathetic. very few players have such a low battery life now. Even players from a few years ago, which were bought and have been used since then are probably still holding a better charge than 12 hours.

except I don't believe they've released the actually battery life yet. There was one rumor that it was "around 12 hours" but thats what it had been at with an old firmware version back in june.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #36 of 52
I don't think Zune will make a dent in the Ipod marketshare unless they actually price it lower than the ipod!

First the wifi "sharing" feature is nothing more than a way for MS to promote their music store, users shouldn't have to pay for this so let's no count it in the equation.

Ipod advantages: better battery life, smaller form factor, more accessories availlable, games availlable, proven sync software (iTunes).

Zune advantages: bigger screen, built in radio. that's it!

Also microsoft doesn't have a good track record with synchronization with WMP and Play For Sure, so we need to have a look at the software before we pass any judgment.

Personally I am not too hot on the zune being a success. They should have jettisoned the useless wifi thing and used the saved money to make the screen even bigger. They could then have promoted this as "the true video ipod".
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by erlik
I don't think Zune will make a dent in the Ipod marketshare unless they actually price it lower than the ipod!

First the wifi "sharing" feature is nothing more than a way for MS to promote their music store, users shouldn't have to pay for this so let's no count it in the equation.

Ipod advantages: better battery life, smaller form factor, more accessories availlable, games availlable, proven sync software (iTunes).

Zune advantages: bigger screen, built in radio. that's it!

Also microsoft doesn't have a good track record with synchronization with WMP and Play For Sure, so we need to have a look at the software before we pass any judgment.

Personally I am not too hot on the zune being a success. They should have jettisoned the useless wifi thing and used the saved money to make the screen even bigger. They could then have promoted this as "the true video ipod".
wink.gif

I agree. The wifi is pointless. They must have spent a lot on that feature, and could have put the money to better use. Gimmicks just don't cut it against the iPod. The iPod is headed to a full blown media player. Bigger screen, movies, music, good design, cheap=winner.

3 times in 3 days? Why even implement such a feature? Useless.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
I agree. The wifi is pointless. They must have spent a lot on that feature, and could have put the money to better use. Gimmicks just don't cut it against the iPod. The iPod is headed to a full blown media player. Bigger screen, movies, music, good design, cheap=winner.

3 times in 3 days? Why even implement such a feature? Useless.

Well, maybe not. If this Wi-Fi link were to allow streaming radio, It would definitely peak my interest; but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I can do this on my PDA and sounds like a wonderful idea and selling point for a DAP player.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
Well, maybe not. If this Wi-Fi link were to allow streaming radio, It would definitely peak my interest; but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I can do this on my PDA and sounds like a wonderful idea and selling point for a DAP player.

Oohh, yeah...that would be really useful. And I'm sure they can find other uses for it. It is a plus either way you look at it, but it just seems that any one of us in here could come up with a better player. Why can't they?

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Oohh, yeah...that would be really useful. And I'm sure they can find other uses for it. It is a plus either way you look at it, but it just seems that any one of us in here could come up with a better player. Why can't they?

Yea, like charge the hell out of someone for temporary music files.

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #42 of 52
If the DRM is in the OS, and someone were to release a edited version of the firmware, It seems the wi-fi restriction could be lifted, not that im encouraging the illigal or anything...
wink.gif

I wonder what the sound quality is..are they gonna even try very hard on that part, or are they too worried on features?

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #43 of 52
I have read on engadget that the wifi feature can ONLY be use for the temporary sharing of files: NO wireless streaming, NO way to synch with your PC over wifi, so for now it is indeed useless. They said they MAY add the option to comunicate with other zune gadgets that they plan rolling out "somewhere in the future".

Short of an alternate firmware (like rockbox) there is little hope that this feature will ever be usefull.

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

it just seems that any one of us in here could come up with a better player. Why can't they?

They're constrained by having to actually make the thing in a reliable mass-production way to a particular budget and in a certain timeframe.

We, not being so constrained, are free to include all the ponies we want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back