Zune software Questions???
Dec 25, 2007 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I just start to use my zune. I'm quite suprised, it's a good product and it's quite a bargain buying it from amazon last month. I have questions regarding their software though.

1. Where do they get the album cover art? I got several albums which they able to find the album art however there are also several album (it's not a rare album) which they unable to find the album art.

2. On Movies soundtrack album, they're displayed as several albums. For example: Garden State soundtrack displayed as 6 different albums
1. Garden State soundtrack (8 songs)
2. Garden State Zero 7 (1 song)
3. Garden State Hay, Colin (1 song)
4. Garden State Brothers, Cary (1 song)
5. Garden State Drake, Nick (1 Song)
6. Garden State Frou, Frou (1 song)
How do I fix this problem? The same problems also came out on Queen Greatest hits 3, the tracks which they sing w/ other artists came out as separate albums.

3. Is there a way to display albums as Artist then Album title?

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 12
Try downloading mp3pro and drag the folder into it. Then select all the files and right click > Extended Tags. Then, add a BAND tag and insert what you want it to be (for example Various Artists or GDFGDFG Tribute). Then hit save and you're set =]

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 12
bought my brother a zune for xmas and hooked it up and put some songs on it. THE SOFTWARE IS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there has to be a software alternative somewhere. This software is absolutely garbage and almost makes the zune worthless. ---about the cover art--good luck. you could right click on a pic from the web and click "paste to item" inside the zune software but it wont do you much good as the software is so buggy it may not even show up. I ended up with duplicate pictures of john frusciante on Beatles, Clapton and Sade albums.....i could go on and on but why? speaking about how terrible the zune software is would last an eternity.

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy OneThree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to Zunescene.com. They have tips for starting up. MP3TAG is a great tagging software program. Try to use the Zune program as little as possible.

Is there other software to use w/ zune?

Dec 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Use Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2) or MediaMonkey Free MP3 Jukebox Player, Music Library Organizer for editing your id3 tags or embedding your Album Art inside your songs.

to the OP
1. Cd Cover Search & DVD Cover Search - Seekacover.com
2. For compilation albums, use the Album name or "Various Artist" as the BAND (or Album Artist) tag. For non-compilation albums, "Artist" and "Album Artist" tags should be the same for each song on the album.
3. Click the Artist name on the left colum and the Albums for that artist are shown on the middle column

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 12
For album art that doesn't always show up I usually just go to Wiki or Amazon and save the album art to my desktop. Then I go into the Zune Software, find the album without art and right-click on where the art would be and select "Add album art". It will then let you navigate to the picture you downloaded, select it and you're done. You can then delete the saved file off of your desktop.

As far as fixing the MP3 tags goes, I use Mp3tag and it works just fine. Though there are some bugs (obviously) in the software still, as as I will sometimes have an album show up under the incorrect artist, I've tried the Microsoft fixes (as well as other's fixes) but it still isn't working properly. I have about 3 albums like that right now.

Dec 26, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Maybe you should delete your hidden database file named Zunestore.sdf with the software closed. Start it again and let it rebuild your library.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 12
Yeah, I've tried deleting the sdf file, as well as using the Microsoft tool provided with the KB article. It fixed a couple albums, but there are others that persist on. I've tried it numerous times, as well as a couple other suggestions I found, all to no avail.
frown.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 12
Jan 18, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #11 of 12
Guess I'm lucky.. so far the only files I have problems with are the ones that have messed up MP3 tags. No mis-placed albums unless the tags are messed up. All it takes is one messed up mp3 tag to create weird symptoms. The zune software works, for what it does... keeps stuff synced. For anything else.. use a different tool.

As far as still having problems once the tags are fixed... Remember that the bad files are still on your player. If you fix them on you 'puter, you've got to delete them off your player, then re-sync them from your PC. Be careful NOT to delete the files off your computer when you're doing this.

I've taken all the "automatic" settings in the zune software, and changed them to manual, so I have complete control over what it's doing.

Zune 30 (brown) > Shure E4c's

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 12
FWIW, I find it much easier to rip stuff using windows media player and then just use the zune SW as a player. I haven't had those issues you mention, but the damn thing is quite a memory hog.

Fran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back