Zune questions
Sep 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #31 of 41
I see you have the Zune120, I have the Zune80. Listening right now with the UM3X, and as far as noise floor/hiss, it's not an issue for me at all. So not sure if the 80 and the 120 are different on that front, but it must be the case or I would hear that hiss. And the HD spin up noise is insignificant when listening to the UM3X/Zune80 combo. Just a different POV, and again, it's a different Zune.

Can't speak about FM, because on all my DAPS with FM, which is every one, I have never used it.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #33 of 41
No custom eq sadly. But it will have presets.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not cheap. But to me, they are a perfect match with the Zune80, perfect. Check my sig, and see all the IEMs I have burned through. Many were paired with the Zune, and rather than starting small, save yourself the trouble. Read the UM3X reviews here, the thread. A vast majority of owners love them, and even people who own $800+ customs still keep and like their UM3X.

If you can't spring for the Westones, I also liked the Denon 710s, which are around $100 on the dynamic side, and there is a new Westone, the Westone 1s, which are around $129, and are getting decent reviews.

Thanks for the reply. If the UM3X are that good I would not mind paying the money (found them for $299.00 on another site). I really don't want to go through a whole lot of buying and selling.

What is the average lifespan of IEM's? Do they stop working or just parts of them fail?

Shane D

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply. If the UM3X are that good I would not mind paying the money (found them for $299.00 on another site). I really don't want to go through a whole lot of buying and selling.

What is the average lifespan of IEM's? Do they or just part of them fail?

Shane D

I had my UM2s for 3 years and now i have my Um3x. It is one of the most comfortable IEMs in the market and it sounds great. If you handle them correctly ( put them in case when not used, don't tug the wires to pull them out ) they will last long...

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few comments on the Zune:
Thanks for the detailed breakdown!

1) The FM built in FM receiver is not the most sensitive. If you live in an area with good FM reception, you're going to like it. If, like me, you're in an area with marginal FM reception, the Zune won't be any better than many of the built in FM receivers which used to be in Sony CD players. It is more sensitive than the Ipod FM adapter which I got for the 5G Ipod.

I doubt that I would use the FM much but I do like having the option. Maybe at work though a Kicker, so that I would not have to worry about what is playing, depending on my company

2) The noise floor of my Zune is higher than the noise floor of the 6G Ipods or the Iphone 3G. This may mean that the UM3X won't be to your liking, depending on how much you hate hiss. You may be happier with a less sensitive earphone, something in the 110db/mW range.

Not really sure what hiss is but I am guessing that I would not like it.
tongue.gif

From what I have been reading the earphones are THE most important part of the equation, even more so than the player (as long as your player isn't junk).

3) My Zune has a more noticeable hard drive spin up noise than my Ipod 6G, which also has some noticeable spin up noise with phones such as the UM3X.

I have heard that elsewhere, but people have then said that is only between songs and not during the music. Sounds like a minor annoyance, at this point.

4) On my 2 core, 2.5GHz, 3Gbyte Vista laptop, the Zune software runs noticeably slower than Itunes.

Something to watch for. In my initial testing it seems much friendlier and faster than itunes.

5) The Zune HD (flash player) is said to be all that Microsoft will be selling in 2010. I hope this isn't true.

Sad but true. I don't understand cutting HDD's out while the flash is only 32GB. Especially if you are trying to push video.

On the really plus side, with a music subscription, you can download all the music you want, listen to it, discard it, and get access to all that Microsoft has to offer. The screen of the Zune is much better than the Ipod Classic. And, it does have the FM.

Doubt I would use the subscription service (maybe?). I got a satellite dish a few years ago (Bell ExpressVu in Canada). There are two commercial free/DJ free rock stations and that is where I have been finding my new music for almost three years now. Actually that is what is driving me towards a DAP purchase. I can't stand to listen to commercial radio at all now. Not in my car and not at work.

Shane D

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my UM2s for 3 years and now i have my Um3x. It is one of the most comfortable IEMs in the market and it sounds great. If you handle them correctly ( put them in case when not used, don't tug the wires to pull them out ) they will last long...

How else do you get them out? Do they stick out of your ear far enough that you can grab the frame? Do you have to change "tips" often?

Shane D

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you have the Zune120, I have the Zune80. Listening right now with the UM3X, and as far as noise floor/hiss, it's not an issue for me at all. So not sure if the 80 and the 120 are different on that front, but it must be the case or I would hear that hiss. And the HD spin up noise is insignificant when listening to the UM3X/Zune80 combo. Just a different POV, and again, it's a different Zune.

Can't speak about FM, because on all my DAPS with FM, which is every one, I have never used it.

I agree with TStarn on this point ... I didnt hear any hiss when i tried out My zune 30 with the UM3X briefly and i dont hear any hiss with my TF10pros unless the recording is sub par.

As for IEM failure. This is one of the primary reasons why i am sticking with Ultimate Ears.. If the cord gets busted .. simply detach and get a new set. Im not rich so i cannot afford to re invest in a new set if cords break outside of warranty and i have noticed quite a few that have done so just outside of warranty (Shure .. im looking at you !).

If the other major manufacturers did the same (cough .. westone) i would probably give them more fair shake at unseating the TF10's

Considering your circumstances and the fact that you cannot do trial and error. YOU MUST prioritise what you are looking for in your IEM and buy accordingly. If you do not do this you may be in for a rude awakening. An example of this is when i got my Shures.. little did i know that the E3cs soundstage was basically non existent with some seriously rolled off highs and rolled off bass added to that their was a strong emphasis placed on mids. Needless to say i wasnt impressed and they quickly got sold. While reading reviews are nice, it doesnt replace what you hear for yourself and everyone has different priorities on what they are looking for in an IEM. For example: Mine would be Soundtage and separation, Accurate Bass and treble extension and neutral mids. The only fault i have with the TF10's are the mids which i think can be fixed a tad by a cord upgrade from Null Audio from what i hear.

But enough of my rambling . Good luck with your purchase and make sure that it is an informed one.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with TStarn on this point ... I didnt hear any hiss when i tried out My zune 30 with the UM3X briefly and i dont hear any hiss with my TF10pros unless the recording is sub par.

Good to hear.

As for IEM failure. This is one of the primary reasons why i am sticking with Ultimate Ears.. If the cord gets busted .. simply detach and get a new set. Im not rich so i cannot afford to re invest in a new set if cords break outside of warranty and i have noticed quite a few that have done so just outside of warranty (Shure .. im looking at you !).

I like being able to change components! Very cool.

While reading reviews are nice, it doesnt replace what you hear for yourself and everyone has different priorities on what they are looking for in an IEM. For example: Mine would be Soundtage and separation, Accurate Bass and treble extension and neutral mids. The only fault i have with the TF10's are the mids which i think can be fixed a tad by a cord upgrade from Null Audio from what i hear.

I could not put my likes into words, but I am not an audiophile. I am VERY happy sitting the living room and loading up old Onkyo CD changer. I use an NAD C372 stereo amp to drive two Axiom speakers (M60's). Not a high end or really expensive system, but loud and clean. Hoping to find similar in a portable solution.

But enough of my rambling . Good luck with your purchase and make sure that it is an informed one.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks for the info! It all helps. The learning curve is HUGE. I think I am pretty much there on the player, but totally lost on the IEM's
frown.gif

And on it goes...

On the upside I did decide on some new computers today. So in about a week I will have a new computer at home with a 1TB HDD (that I will NEVER come close to filling). After 15 years of computer use, my present machine only uses about 25GB in total, and that is much pretty much all software.
icon10.gif

Shane D

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Eleutherian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Hello again. Did you have a chance to check the FM reception on your Kicker? Not trying to nag, just asking.
smile.gif

Thanks

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back