Zune Premium Headphones v2
Mar 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ignorant

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, my knowledge on earbuds is really limited, and I was just wondering what the more experienced audiophiles think of them. These are the stock ones that came with the Zune80gb and can be bought online for $30. I'm also eagerly looking for an upgrade around the $50-$80 price range. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 21
A good upgrade in that price range (for about $50) is the NuForce NE-7M, but look around here, there are plenty of 'what to buy' threads floating around in the price range, and some comparison threads too.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks, I did some research on the Yuin products. The OK3s sound nice, but I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade because my Zune earbuds sound nice too. But I was wondering how they sounded to an audiophile.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 21
The problem is the more that I look the more harder it gets. It's between the PK3, OK3, NuForce NE-7M, and V-Moda Vibe Earbuds. Just looking for something that doesn't need an amp, and with bass that brings a punch. I'd like to buy a decent pair of headphones that will leave me satisfied for a year or so.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the tips of the zune premium headphones fits perfectly on the ie8 and sounds awesome with them

Alright, that guarantees that they'll fit, and most likely be comfortable. I think I'm gonna sleep on this, thanks.

EDIT:
Whoa! The Sennheiser IE8 are $450! They could be the most comfortable earbuds in the world and I still wouldn't get them.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 21
Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you think that's bad, we have 1,700$ headphones and 500$ amps to go with them. We also have 50,000$ power cords apparently.

Back on topic, do you need buds or IEMs? The yuins are basically some of the very, very few good earbuds. I've done some listening to the PK2s, which are good but lack bass. People have said that the PK3s have more bass, though.

You might be interested in some koss portapros or sennheiser PX100s if you can do with on-ear headphones.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignorant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is the more that I look the more harder it gets. It's between the PK3, OK3, NuForce NE-7M, and V-Moda Vibe Earbuds. Just looking for something that doesn't need an amp, and with bass that brings a punch. I'd like to buy a decent pair of headphones that will leave me satisfied for a year or so.

IMO the #1 thing you need to figure out is what sound signature you like best, and what qualities you want. It is difficult when you first jump into headphones and you may need to try a few to see what you like best.

I have both the NE-7 and PK3 and both have bass punch and don't require an amp. IMO the NE-7 has a better bass and treble than the PK3, but the PK3 has better mids and a more airy, 3-D soundstage.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 21
Well I am quite interested in the Yuin OK3s since they are of the next generation, and the reviews say that generally they are better than the PK series, each with their strengths and weaknesses. Buds or IEMs are fine, as they have similar makes. I'm more interested in sound, and no $500 amps please. I think I'll save the $50,000 power cords until I start pooping gold bricks. (excuse my language) Bass is a prominent deciding factor, the majority of my antecedent earphones lacked it. From what I can recall both the OK3 and PK3 handle it well, but I have relatively small ears so maybe the PK3s might suit me better. But if the OK3s are clearer, then I might put up with them too. So PK2s are out of the question, and I think it's just down to OK3 an PK3. Since I want these to last I think I should just go for the OK3s. I read in one comment that they started getting static in their PK3s after about a month.

Thanks for bearing with me!!!!!!!

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the #1 thing you need to figure out is what sound signature you like best, and what qualities you want. It is difficult when you first jump into headphones and you may need to try a few to see what you like best.

I have both the NE-7 and PK3 and both have bass punch and don't require an amp. IMO the NE-7 has a better bass and treble than the PK3, but the PK3 has better mids and a more airy, 3-D soundstage.

I see, good point. I'll take the OK3s, and if I don't like them I'll try to sell them to a friend with stock earbuds, and get a pair of PK3s or NE-7. Thanks!

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 21
I owned both the OK3s and the PK3s, and there is one difference, apart from sound (OK3s are a tad more balanced, but cost more too). The OK3s are a little less tapered by design (go to head-direct.com and compare the photos). As a result, the OK3s started to hurt my ears with long-term use, bumping into the inside. The PK3s didn't do that. Also, the OK3s have that dumb "canal phone conversion" aspect, which is worthless. So don't think you are getting any good deal with that idea, because it's not workable.

Anyway, just something to ponder, apart from SQ differences. I used the donut pads, but some recent new PK3 owners say the full pads are better for bass delivery. Another thing to consider, whatever model you get. If the OK3 form factor isn't a problem, then they are a little bit better bud than the PK3.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignorant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT:
Whoa! The Sennheiser IE8 are $450! They could be the most comfortable earbuds in the world and I still wouldn't get them.

That's what we all think when we first start out... your views will likely change as you spend more time here.
very_evil_smiley.gif
We say "sorry about your wallet" for a reason!

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the tips of the zune premium headphones fits perfectly on the ie8 and sounds awesome with them

wait. what?

That is awesome. How is the seal?
Time to hunt for zune headphone tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back