Zune owners: a couple of questions
Mar 3, 2007 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sebastianbf

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all:
I'm going to sell my ipod video to get a zune and I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it a need to put something like a BSE on the Zune? I mean, it scratches as easy as the ipod ?

2) I use Ubuntu in my main computer (but also dual-boot Windows XP). Can I use the Zune software or transfer songs to it using Linux?

Thanks everyone

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 12
1) No, not at all. I've dropped it onto the concrete from about two feet and the marks wipe off. It's the most elegant looking tank you've ever seen.

2) I don't think so, but there have been several nifty hacks that have come out in the past few months, so I wouldn't be surprised if linux compatibility were in the works if not done already. Check out Zunescene.com.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altoids /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) No, not at all. I've dropped it onto the concrete from about two feet and the marks wipe off. It's the most elegant looking tank you've ever seen.

But what about the screen? I plan to use it in my pocket mainly.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 12
the screen would probably scratch as easily as the iPod's. and no, with the Zune your stuck with only Windows support, and can only use the Zune player software to transfer music.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastianbf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

don't worry about it scratching. if it's in your pocket you
probably won't be able to see it anyway.
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 12
I threw a clear plastic screen protector on my Zune, and that's protected it quite well. I think it was made for a palm pilot, and I just trimmed it down to the right size.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastianbf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One of the things I realize I like about the Zune is that the hardware was designed with significant use in mind. It's not toylike -- it's sturdy, durable, everything is flush and finished. I've had mine for a few months now with no screen protector and no case, and it doesn't have a scratch on it anywhere. I'm not telling you to treat it like I do, but I am saying that an unprotected Zune will be fine under normal use.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #8 of 12
The d-pad on the Zune scratches extremely easy. I'd say it's as easy as scratching the faceplate of an iPod. Just about the rest of the Zune is pretty much scratchproof, though.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the supplied zune soft cloth bag which fits snugly. Protects zune from all angle.

I wanted to try cutting a rectangle out for the screen since I don't need to see the controls to use them.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 12
That's great news. I was thinking of getting a BSE or something like that but it's not going to be necessary. Thanks for all the replies.-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back