Zune or iPod?
Mar 6, 2007 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

NoValidTitle

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to buy a new DAP, currently I have a 4GB Nano but I want more space! So I was looking at the Zune then realised per GB the iPod would be cheaper then putting an 80GB drive in a Zune, I like the way the Zune looks over the iPods though. So the main question here is, are there any reasons to purchase a Zune over an iPod as far as an audiophile is concerned? FM radio I could care less about, I mean audio quality. I do plan to buy some sort of headphone amp.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 22
Mar 6, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 22
I briefly owned a Zune before switching to a 5.5G iPod.

I will give it to you straight: if audio quality is the utmost important thing to you, then the Zune is your best choice. The sound quality is superb!

So now you ask, why did I switch? The Zune has poorer battery life compared to the iPod 30gb. On my Zune, I was lucky to get 8 hours before needing to recharge it. The big screen does enact a penalty.

Since I use a DAP about 10+ hours a day, the Zune just was not for me. With the iPod I get 12+ hours of battery life.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 22
Odd, I get about 10 hours battery life with 320kbps MP3, average screen use and no wifi. With IEMs though, so the volume was at a max of 12/20 (any higher would blow my ears off). With more demanding headphones I guess the battery could drop to 8 hours, but using 192kbps could boost it back up again.

Other than that the sound is worth it over the Ipod, be warned though there isn't a configurable EQ if that's important to you (it's not needed anyhow).

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #9 of 22
I just want to know how everyone seems to have the volume on their Zunes at least at 6 or even higher. Mine never goes above 3 and that's plenty loud enough for me. In a noisy environment I usually keep the volume at 5. I never saw how people got it above that without blowing their ears out.

Mar 7, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 22
Having owned iPods (3G, 4G & 5.5G), I can say that zune SQ is far superior from the headphone out. And in fact with 20/20 volume with my ER-4S, my zune will run for more than 10 hours. iPod 5.5G isn't that impressive when it come to battery as well.

But if you plan to lug around an external Amp, iPod offers better combo with lotsa choice of docking solution. Consider this, iPod 5.5G (lineour) paired with LDM+ could only come to same level with zune with no amp - for me that means a lot and I get to carry a DAP minus the extra weight.

Heck, my zune even manage to trump my old Rio Karmas, and those old boys are collecting dust now.

The best part?, I dont have to go lossless to enjoy hi-fidelity music with zune

Mar 7, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A line-out hasn't been made yet, it is possible as many accessories that output audio connect to the dock connector.

Qables have a dock connector available for the Zune now.

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastianbf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qables have a dock connector available for the Zune now.

True but it's just the unassambled dock assembly from what I see. I wonder why he isn't offering a whole dock with cable & jack assembled(maybe I missed that). I also wonder if that's Hans listening to the Grados on his website lol
rs1smile.gif

Re the volume setting on the Zune (or any player), it depends on the music type and environment as mentioned but more so the impedance/efficiency of the monitor I think. For instance EFN mentions using the ER4S wich are 100 Ohms so they require a higher volume setting compared to most other IEMs. (not sure if he adds impedance to that )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back