Zune on Woot! for $99.99sss
Oct 14, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #122 of 167
Yay! Just got my Zune. It's a bit bigger than I expected, but that's not a problem. There's no physical signs of use. They sound really nice out of the MS1 and E2C, but struggle with the PK1.
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #123 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undecided /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recieved mine today,looked brand(no scratches,nothing at all) new and played fine. I updated to new firmware with no problems.
Good deal.

I dont like the Zune software. I knew I couldnt drag and drop in the file manager but I thought I could in the Zune software. Why leave this out?(What?)
Will the new updates support this?
The sound quality is OK,but its hard for me to listen to the digital harshness(like grinding teeth)after having the Darkvoice and Paradesea Dac. They sound so analog,smoooth.

As a side note,the player, headphonia amp, and the Koss Porta Pro are all new so I am hoping they will smooth out over time.
Bye all

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #124 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my zune today and the zune software is horrible! much worse than itunes.
mad.gif
It's slooow and keeps hanging during synchronization. sheesh. i've been trying to sync 1 album for the past hour and it managed to copy 3 songs.

the software also tries to be smart by copying every mp3 thats in my playlist to the zune... and updates the media files from the internet, which is a good way of tracking your playing habits and keeping an inventory of the files you have on zune's central server. there's no option to stop this. welp this is the last zune version i'll be touching.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Some things to note:

- It shouldn't be slow, but it can have a delay here and there, especially when dealing with anything online, like the Marketplace.

- Make sure you connect your Zune to a REAR port, as a front USB port on your PC can typically not have enough power needed, and cause hangs in a PC while syncing.

- You can stop the software from updating your files automatically from online sources by going into the options by: clicking the Zune logo in the top left > Library > More Options... > Library tab > and unchecking Retrieve additional media information from the Internet. Also, go to the Privacy tab and uncheck the only checkbox there. No more privacy concerns.

- I've never had the Zune software try to copy my current playlist to my Zune, and certainly not without my designating such to be done. I'm not sure what you're doing, but I'd suggest you look a bit closer at how the software works. Take note of the four icons above the playlist column, specifically.

- Even if you have other concerns, this software will be gone come November 13th, and replaced with an entirely new program.

It's up to you if you want to stop trying anything Zune from here out based on initial observations, and using a soon-to-be-outdated software package. I'd wait until at least seeing the new updates before jumping ship, but it's your call.

Quote:

I dont like the Zune software. I knew I couldnt drag and drop in the file manager but I thought I could in the Zune software. Why leave this out?(What?)

I'm not sure what you're talking about; most of my syncing is done with drag-and-drop.
blink.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #125 of 167
well ok got the drag and drop to work.But the sq Is not very good to me.Just OK at best.But I hope it gets better. Male voices are especially grating on these.Harshness,yuck!
If it doesnt get better I see myself selling this and just not having a portable rig and sticking to my home system.

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #126 of 167
I absolutely hate the software too. Why not just do drag and drop? It's so much easier and everyone with Windows knows how to use it. The Zune program is so slow and unintuitive.

The sound quality on mine is actually quite good. What headphones are you using that gives it a harshness? So far I've found that the Zune works very well with MS1 and e2c unamped. The PK1 need a bit more volume but still sounds muddy when I turn it up.
frown.gif

I agree that it does sound cold/digital compared to my PCDP, but I already expected that. I wish that there was customizable EQ, another important feature that's missing.
mad.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #127 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely hate the software too. Why not just do drag and drop? It's so much easier and everyone with Windows knows how to use it. The Zune program is so slow and unintuitive.

The sound quality on mine is actually quite good. What headphones are you using that gives it a harshness? So far I've found that the Zune works very well with MS1 and e2c unamped. The PK1 need a bit more volume but still sounds muddy when I turn it up.
frown.gif

I agree that it does sound cold/digital compared to my PCDP, but I already expected that. I wish that there was customizable EQ, another important feature that's missing.
mad.gif

I have the Headstage amp and Koss Porta Pro"s to go along with it. Maybe "cold,digital" is what I am trying to describe.
Is there others that have a more natural,warm sound?
I wonder if Senns "viel"will actually sound better with the Zunes. Maybe help hide the cold digital sound.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #128 of 167
Quote:

I just got my zune today and the zune software is horrible! much worse than itunes.
mad.gif
It's slooow and keeps hanging during synchronization. sheesh. i've been trying to sync 1 album for the past hour and it managed to copy 3 songs.

the software also tries to be smart by copying every mp3 thats in my playlist to the zune... and updates the media files from the internet, which is a good way of tracking your playing habits and keeping an inventory of the files you have on zune's central server. there's no option to stop this. welp this is the last zune version i'll be touching.

Okay. A couple issues to address. How old is your computer? How much RAM do you have? The Zune software takes up a lot of CPU, an issue that will supposedly be resolved with the next generation software.

If you have USB 2.0, use it.

Go to options, sync, THE NAME OF YOUR ZUNE, and click where it says "Do not automatically sync my zune" Or whatever. Go again, into the options, library, and uncheck "retrieve additional information from the internet"

I have had no problems with my software. Just go in, look at ALL the options, and configure it how you'd like.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #129 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undecided /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the new updates support this?
The sound quality is OK,but its hard for me to listen to the digital harshness(like grinding teeth)after having the Darkvoice and Paradesea Dac. They sound so analog,smoooth.

As a side note,the player, headphonia amp, and the Koss Porta Pro are all new so I am hoping they will smooth out over time.
Bye all

You've been able to drag & drop since v1.1.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #130 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

mad.gif

Again, it does drag and drop. My recommendation, is to go into the options, look through them, get a feel for the program. Don't just rely on the default settings. If its slow, try the disable marketplace hack. It uses a lot of CPU, and isn't meant for older computers with less than 1.5G of ram.

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #131 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, it does drag and drop. My recommendation, is to go into the options, look through them, get a feel for the program. Don't just rely on the default settings. If its slow, try the disable marketplace hack. It uses a lot of CPU, and isn't meant for older computers with less than 1.5G of ram.

What I meant by drag and drop is to open it up as an external hard drive and drag and drop anything I want without having to rely on the Zune program. I know there is a hack to to this though the registry, but even that hack requires the Zune program to be running at the same time.

I've never used the default settings so I don't know if they are any worse (though from some of the comments here it does seem to slow down computers even more). The first thing I did was disable any thing automatic, including Marketplace, Synchronizing, Connecting to Internet, etc.

Another reason why I hate the program is that it takes up so much RAM. You shouldn't need 1.5 gbs of RAM just to move songs from computer to portable player. The firmware itself is bulky and faulty. I shouldn't be required to upgrade my computer just to be able to use my portable player when much older DAPs have been working much smoother and faster with my computer.
mad.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #133 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, sorry to hear that. Some things to note:
- It shouldn't be slow, but it can have a delay here and there, especially when dealing with anything online, like the Marketplace.

Ok I found out why the synchronization kept hanging on me. The zune software can't handle unicode filenames and tags! When it sees non-english (wide) characters in the filename it completely chokes, and when it manages to copy them to the zune, it appears as square boxes on the device. I guess the zune development group only consist of white american guys who only speak and understand english...

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #134 of 167
Quote:

Ok I found out why the synchronization kept hanging on me. The zune software can't handle unicode filenames and tags! When it sees non-english (wide) characters in the filename it completely chokes, and when it manages to copy them to the zune, it appears as square boxes on the device. I guess the zune development group only consist of white american guys who only speak and understand english...

Although you post was amusing, its because the Zune is not made for worldwide distribution. North America only. And by that, I mean US distribution.

HERE'S THE HACK FOR UNICODE SUPPORT

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #135 of 167
Quote:

mad.gif

1. Your computer USB ports are not up to specs. Use a port on the back of it with 500mah current.

2. there is a option for stoping that. Go to Options > Library > More Options and disable "Retrieve additional information from the internet".
Welcome to the Social, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back