Zune Marketplace mp3@320kbps, they are any good?
Jan 13, 2008 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

LordZero

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, first of all, I know that Flac, Alac and other lossless formats are way better than Mp3, but I'm not a audiophile, not even close, so I'm probably one of the people that wouldn't not the difference between this formats.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy some albums, and some of them are available at Marketplace for really good prices compared to the real thing.
And what I wanted to know is, if they are good encoded 320Kbps CBR mp3 files or they are bad encoded? I'm just asking because I remember to have an album encoded at 320kbps, and it sounded like a bad 128Kbps file, and I don't want to pay for things like that.

Btw, aside from the drm stuff,what is better?2-pass CBR@192kbit/s or 320Kbps CBR mp3?Both bought @ Zune Marketplace.

PS:Sorry for my English

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, first of all, I know that Flac, Alac and other lossless formats are way better than Mp3, but I'm not a audiophile, not even close, so I'm probably one of the people that wouldn't not the difference between this formats.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy some albums, and some of them are available at Marketplace for really good prices compared to the real thing.
And what I wanted to know is, if they are good encoded 320Kbps CBR mp3 files or they are bad encoded? I'm just asking because I remember to have an album encoded at 320kbps, and it sounded like a bad 128Kbps file, and I don't want to pay for things like that.

Btw, aside from the drm stuff,what is better?2-pass CBR@192kbit/s or 320Kbps CBR mp3?Both bought @ Zune Marketplace.

PS:Sorry for my English

Forget DRM and buy 256 rips from Amazon. No DRM, decent bitrate, and decent prices. I have a Zune80, but never bought a song from Zune Marketplace. Refuse to play the DRM game. I want to really own my music.

Can you burn songs purchased at Zune Marketplace, like iTunes? Just curious.

If 320 encoding was lousy, you must have had a poor encoder, because that rate should be fine, close to lossless.

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget DRM and buy 256 rips from Amazon. No DRM, decent bitrate, and decent prices. I have a Zune80, but never bought a song from Zune Marketplace. Refuse to play the DRM game. I want to really own my music.

If 320 encoding was lousy, you must have had a poor encoder, because that rate should be fine, close to lossless.

that's why tunebite is your friend
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

The albums that have the mp3 icon in the right corner at Zune Marketplace are available at 320Kbps, free of DRM(for what i have read).

For what i know you only can burn the songs that i mention above.

The amazon.com seems to have good prices,but the problem is I'm living in Europe,so it will don't work for me.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 23
where have you guys seen that amazon or the zune marketplace are at 320kbps? i thought they were both at 256kbps.

tstarn06, the zune marketplace offers MP3 as well.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amazon.com seems to have good prices,but the problem is I'm living in Europe,so it will don't work for me.

I'm in the UK and I don't think our Amazon is ever going to follow suit. I don't know why - it's obviously proving very popular.

It's a pity, as sometimes I just want one song and it would be very convenient to download it without having to buy a full-priced CD for a single track.

I did try Amazon.com and was 'rejected' for being in the UK . . . that's just sad
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where have you guys seen that amazon or the zune marketplace are at 320kbps? i thought they were both at 256kbps.

I guess I just figured there was no way Zune Marketplace would offer unprotected MP3s, but I stand corrected if they do. I "rent" music from Yahoo for $6 a month (which is where Tunebite plays a role), and only purchase special tracks, from Amazon (and the evil Walmart before that). And you are right about Amazon, the best quality is 256k.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the UK and I don't think our Amazon is ever going to follow suit. I don't know why - it's obviously proving very popular.

It's a pity, as sometimes I just want one song and it would be very convenient to download it without having to buy a full-priced CD for a single track.

I did try Amazon.com and was 'rejected' for being in the UK . . . that's just sad
frown.gif

Yeah, that sux. You mean you can't buy single tracks from Amazon?

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Yeah, that sux. You mean you can't buy single tracks from Amazon?

Nothing. They don't offer any downloads at all. I was convinced they'd follow Amazon.com and start the same thing here in the new year, but to date - there's nothing, and nothing in the offing either. . . not even a little 'Coming Soon' to whet our appetites
mad.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just downloaded the free Marah track (Angels of Destruction) from Amazon, and WinEXP says it's 320k.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 23
Zune is a Microsoft related business, so they for sure use FhG encoder which means best possible quality, near lossless at the bitrate of 320kb/s. Actually, this is the only bitrate at which you get full, undistorted presentation of the midrange .

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune is a Microsoft related business, so they for sure use FhG encoder which means best possible quality, near lossless at the bitrate of 320kb/s. Actually, this is the only bitrate at which you get full, undistorted presentation of the midrange .

Nice to know, but I discovered that the zune marketplace is only available for people in USA, I don't know even where i can buy Microsoft points. This sucks so much, the Zune Marketplace have nice prices/bitrates and have bands like godspeed and built to spill(this one in wma) in their shop.

Why they don't just launch the zune in Asia & Europe?Some people say they probably are having problems with the sharing wi-fi thing...but i really need a dap, and right now I don't even know what new dap I will buy to replace my nw-hd5h, my only choices are archos or ipod classic,and both have EU Volume Limit.
mad.gif

Btw, here is where i found the info about the non-DRM 320Kbps mp3 files:
Zune - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back