Zune LOD ... Again.
Dec 26, 2010 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JamesMcProgger

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this is an old subject and there are plenty threads about them, but after reading them, they are too old or never got anywhere.

The facts:
  1. I have this Zune splitter/control, came in a pack with the zune bag and the zune earbuds.
  2. it has  3 direct controls: pause/play, next and back. the controls affects the zune directly, eg: the zune screen lights on when you use them.
  3. it has two volume controls, one for each jack out.
  4. the loss of volume or quality associated with such splitters is barely noticeable.
  5. easy to take apart, no screws.

photos:

Anyone think this could be or could be turn into a LOD? or is it just an extension of the headphone jack?

edit: more and better photos

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 18
Is the volume control disabled on the zune? if so it can be safely assumed that it is indeed useing a line out if not then its still useing the amp onboard of the zune. 

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 18
One can move the volume bar in the zune but it does nothing, the only way to control volume when the "splitter" is connected is via the volume control in the splitter itself. so i guess it is a line out then?

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 18
LOD is LOCKED.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 18
line out on zunes is enabled by a chip on a dock, but no one knows what chip it is and what code it sends, as such making a portable LOD is imposible. unless u dont mind draging ournd the controller and taping into it, it has been done before, but its not pretty and neat.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 18
Yes it is, but it would take alot to figure out which one as its normaly a single chip that controls everything, so you need to pull out the code from it with or something.....At that point Im lost, im a Chemical engineer not EE....

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 18
wink.gif
 I'm a Chemical engineer as well, what are the odds?

Ill be posting better photos of the thing tomorrow and attempt to open the deck connector. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I will be willing to bet 5$ on that the big center chip (with 01 sticker on it) receives the Line out as well as unlocks it on the zune.

How can we prove or discard that?
So you think this could be used as a LOD? i can tell for sure i hear no difference in the sound, at all.

Also, how come the two outputs have independent volume? is it possible that thing have 2 small amplifiers? (so it wouldnt be a LOD)

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 18

You can cut into the cable and pull out the two insulated wires in there to get the L and R line out.  Leave the other 5? or 6 intact and the remote will continue to enable the line out. 

Would be ideal to get it down to just what is enabling it, but good luck figuring that out.  I started a thread on this and recall 3 or so cables always had to be connected to the remote to keep the line out enabled.

I gave up on making something compact and just shortened the cable, soldered the remote wires back together on protoboard, and connected the audio wires and rca outs on the other end.  Mounted everything in an altoids tin.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 18
Maybe I will make a project of mine later on...it probably does have a crappy onboard amplifier. and Peppe did u find any SQ improvment from your LOD compared to HO? Thanks.\

@James to figure out wich chip it is we would need to beak it apart piece by peice. start with headphone jacks and move on from them till whole amplifier Volume controll section is removedonce thats done it would be possible to see what can be bipassed (resistors etc) that go to the chip, after which see if its possible to rig up the chip in a small enclosure...the problem is doing it in such a way that will not screw up the zune, I imagine sending power to the wrong pin can fry the whole thing...anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back