zune line-out dock
Nov 29, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #16 of 18
Hi all, 1st post here. I assume no one has cracked this yet.

I bought the Zune Travel Pack on clearance for $40 yesterday and it has a remote control that connects to the dock and has 2 headphone outs with individual volume controls (see pics). The volume control on the Zune is inactive when this is plugged into the Zune.

This makes me believe that the remote may be getting a line out from the dock connector and that there are headphone amps inside this remote. If this is true, I wonder if you could bypass the headphone amps and get a line out from the remote.

Also, the remote does not require a battery, so it must be getting power from the Zune dock connector.

My original thought was to simply crack the remote open, find the proper wires in the cable, then cut the cable and solder on an 1/8" plug. However, I don't think this will work, as there is probably other circuitry in the remote that is required access the line out.

However, if the headphone amps could be bypassed, I wonder if you could create a line out at one of the headphone jacks on the remote, and simply connect an 1/8" audio cable to that jack.

I don't really have much use for the remote, so I might be willing to crack it open to see what's inside. However, there does not appear to be an easy way to open it, so I might destroy it in the process.

Is this worth looking into?

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 18
I just read the etiquette sticky and can move the post above to a different forum if necessary, since the post has a little DIY flavor. However, there is not much discussion out there on this topic, so this seemed to be a good place to post.

May 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 18
Any news on such a cable for Zune ?! It would be a marvel
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back