Zune Gapless - Call to Zune owners
Oct 12, 2007 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

luckypictures

500+ Head-Fier
On the threads recently, a member mentioned that his Zune played without a gap inbetween songs, or, gapless, as you all know.

Yesterday, I got my new (refurbished) black Zune in the mail. I immediately filled it, which, at 30gb, takes a bit of time. I didn't get a chance to use it until last night. As usual, I was more than happy with sound quality. Then, an album came on that I hadn't heard before, and each song had about 10 seconds of the next song at the end of it.

Well here's the crazy thing. THERE WAS NO PAUSE BETWEEN TRACKS. None. It played as if it were gapless. I thought I was hearing things, so I played another album that was made to be gapless. Same deal.

Are others out there experiencing the same phenomenon? I know there's two of us in Head-Fi land.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 16
I got my Woot Zune day before yesterday as well, but haven't had a chance to play with it enough yet. However, I read a blog of one of the Zune developers, and he was talking about the new firmware that is running on newer Zines, and we'll be released for the Zune 30, and one of the things he was apologizing about is that the new firmware still does not do gapless.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 16
Oh, I know, I've read that too, and exchanged emails with one of the developers about gapless. Its been well publicized, which is why I was so completely shocked last night. I just tried it again with the same results. Either its playing gapless, or the gap is so minimal that it isn't noticeable. I don't know.

I'm going to try to figure out a way to record it. I don't know how. I think maybe my cellphone, with the headphones on the mic. Not sure. Going to try it when I get home.

Where's the user on the other thread that said he had the same experience? I'm totally going to come off as crazy on this unless I figure out a way to digitze it.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 412 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Woot Zune day before yesterday as well, but haven't had a chance to play with it enough yet. However, I read a blog of one of the Zune developers, and he was talking about the new firmware that is running on newer Zines, and we'll be released for the Zune 30, and one of the things he was apologizing about is that the new firmware still does not do gapless.

PS - Is your username your area code by any chance?

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 16
I also purchased a refurb from Woot.
I have loaded it with 22g of various albums at 192 mp3.
I have been listening to it almost non stop since. I hear my songs slowly fade to silence as usual and a new song begins instantly. No gap that i can detect, I do hear a very light pop or click once in awhile as they change.
On my Zen nomad and Iphone, I get a distinct gap between songs on the same album or songs while in all songs shuffle.
I attributed the fast song change to maybe an improved hard drive. As the Iphone is non HD based i could be wrong.
Whatever the reason, I enjoy this quick change over my previous players.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 16
What version of the firmware do you have? I purchased one of the non-refurbs Woot was selling for $129.99 and it definitely has the gaps. Worse, it has an annoying noise like the DAC is reinitializing or something. It's irritating, and definitely a software issue. I'm optimistic that at least the annoying noise will be fixed in the new firmware.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What version of the firmware do you have? I purchased one of the non-refurbs Woot was selling for $129.99 and it definitely has the gaps. Worse, it has an annoying noise like the DAC is reinitializing or something. It's irritating, and definitely a software issue. I'm optimistic that at least the annoying noise will be fixed in the new firmware.

Define annoying noise. Are you using IEM's? I've got one of the White ones, which is the same as the one you got, and one of the Black ones. The white one ($129.99, Although I got suckered in at $149.99) doesn't do it. The black one does.

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Define annoying noise. Are you using IEM's? I've got one of the White ones, which is the same as the one you got, and one of the Black ones. The white one ($129.99, Although I got suckered in at $149.99) doesn't do it. The black one does.

Mine's white, at the $129.99 price.

I don't own IEMs. I've heard this with my K81DJ and DT-770/Pro80, both with and without an amp. It seems to be worse with the lower impedance (ie. driving the cans directly), but it's still definitely noticeable with an amp. I would call it a pop, but it's a much more complex noise than that, and quite low level. It's hard to describe, but I guess like a pop combined with a burst of static, quite quiet, definitely way above the noise floor. My guess is that this is the DAC going into low-power mode or something similar and then coming back on again. If my suspicion is correct, gapless playback would necessarily eliminate the problem.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #9 of 16
I just got my black Zune from woot (yay!
biggrin.gif
). There is a very noticeable, though very brief gap between songs (no!
mad.gif
).

Also, I've updated to the latest firmware.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 16
I have got to record this today. I'm working on it people. I couldn't get it with my crappy cell phone. Damn LG Chocoloate. So I'm going to see if I can dig out the mini-dv.

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 16
Gapless or not..I'm getting a Zune 80!

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 16
I have a brand new one (not refurb) that musta been sitting around for awhile....I loaded a gapless album onto it and thought it was normal with the latest firmware. Oh, and what a PITA Zune software is...

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a brand new one (not refurb) that musta been sitting around for awhile....I loaded a gapless album onto it and thought it was normal with the latest firmware. Oh, and what a PITA Zune software is...

I completely agree.
wink.gif

And what do you mean it was "normal"? Does that mean gaps or no gaps? I have the latest firmware and it still gives me gaps.
frown.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why is it a PITA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back