Zune FLAC Hack?
Mar 10, 2010 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tehsn1p3r

New Head-Fier
Last year, I managed to get my hands on a 1st Gen Zune 30GB for just about $50. Not even being somewhat of an audiophile back then, I never gave a second look at the supported formats.

Well, my first real cans are coming in the mail sometime soon, and I'm beginning to rip my collection in FLAC. Google reveals nothing about FLAC on the Zune, besides the fact that it's not supported. Has anyone figured out how to flash the firmware for a new one that DOES support FLAC?

If all else fails, what's the easiest way to convert FLAC to WMA Lossless? And will quality suffer hugely in the process?

Thanks guys.
beyersmile.png

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 9
It won't happen - you can't just flash the firmware to get the good stuff. There is no development support for it and no hacking community who can rockbox it or add third-party decoders.

It isn't because the Zune isn't capable, it is just that Zune, part of Microsoft, like Apple and Sony will only support industry standards: AAC and MP3. Lossless hasn't apart from WAV an industry proponent. ALAC is as close as it gets as the codec is based off of AAC, but I do not imagine there will be much of a double to support ALAC or ratify any industry codec for a long time.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It won't happen - you can't just flash the firmware to get the good stuff. There is no development support for it and no hacking community who can rockbox it or add third-party decoders.

It isn't because the Zune isn't capable, it is just that Zune, part of Microsoft, like Apple and Sony will only support industry standards: AAC and MP3. Lossless hasn't apart from WAV an industry proponent. ALAC is as close as it gets as the codec is based off of AAC, but I do not imagine there will be much of a double to support ALAC or ratify any industry codec for a long time.

I had a feeling. It wasn't exactly made for Audiophiles, more the mainstream listeners. Guess I might craigslist the thing, see if anyone will trade for an 8Gig Fuze or Rockbox-able iPod Classic.

Will WMA Lossless work alright, though? Or is trading my best option?

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 9
WMA lossless should be the same thing other than the fact that you are trading open source for closed and proprietary. I haven't any qualms about that, but for some, it is quite a quandary.

Lossless code itself shouldn't differ in SQ (unless the lossless is a lie); what differs is decoder quality. If the software doesn't decode the file well from the guts of the machine, there will be problems, but I don't see any in zune threads.

Sure you are in luck.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 9
WMA files that have been converted from FLAC won't have any DRM. You would only run into DRM on files that you have purchased in WMA format (Assuming wherever you purchased them from uses DRM).

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOPwn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use foobar2000 to convert FLAC --> WMA Lossless for my Zune

Could you give me a short tutorial? Or a link to one? I looked into this, but couldn't find a decent tut. Also, is there any noticeable loss in quality after conversion?

Moving from an open format to a closed proprietary one doesn't bother me, just my rebellious spirit, which will go away in a few years anyway.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 9
I quit rebelling after 24 - quite early, I think - so I use ALAC! But conversion is pretty simple and lossless to lossless incurs no penalty; they will sound identical, unless the decoding portion is faulty: that is up to the software, so who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back