Zune 8gb now on SALE!!!
Feb 4, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 16
WMA lossless! This is awesome!

So the 8GB version uses flash memory right? Just double checking.

And how does the sound quality on this Zune compare to the sound quality of the Sony flash players, NWZ-A818, and the NWZ-S618? I read that the Sony's have VERY good sound quality.

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 16
WMA Lossless.

The 4 and 8gb are flash. 80gb is HDD.

The Sony is simply amazing. That being said, many people around here love the new Zune SQ also. I might pick one up just to do a comparison.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 16
I am debating between the Zune and the Sony as well.

Since Zune support a lossless format, I might give the Zune some serious thought. But sound quality is also very important to me. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WMA Lossless.

The 4 and 8gb are flash. 80gb is HDD.

The Sony is simply amazing. That being said, many people around here love the new Zune SQ also. I might pick one up just to do a comparison.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 16
I demoed a 618 and a Zune flash yesterday, I did not get enough play time to accurately describe their sound quality, but based upon the build design alone, I would pick the 618, no second thought.

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 16
now I wish the 80gb would go on sale...

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am debating between the Zune and the Sony as well.

Since Zune support a lossless format, I might give the Zune some serious thought. But sound quality is also very important to me. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I picked up the Zune 8 gig at Office Depot yesterday and took it back that afternoon. I have love the Zune 80 gig hard drive player which has a very clean and neutral sound. The Zune 8 gig flash player was a different story. I found the highs to be too bright and tizzy compared to the Zune 80 gig's natural balance. Maybe I just got a bad one it sure did not measure up to the either the Zune 30 gig or the Zune 80 gig players as far as sound is concerned. P.S. I was listening with Sennheiser PX 100 headphones. Even an older pair of the Senns with the warmer sound did not cure the fatiguing top end. Look elsewhere.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 16
Sad to hear that. Strange, too. Why would anyone not deliver the same sound in the same line of players? Anyway, I also love the Zune80 sound, but had already purchased a Sony A816 prior to getting the Zune. Sometimes, it can be the phones and how they match up, I guess. But this sounds pretty bad, considering you are positive about the Zune80 sound quality.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Hey Tstarn, how would you compare the Sony A816 and Zune80 sound quality wise?

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sad to hear that. Strange, too. Why would anyone not deliver the same sound in the same line of players? Anyway, I also love the Zune80 sound, but had already purchased a Sony A816 prior to getting the Zune. Sometimes, it can be the phones and how they match up, I guess. But this sounds pretty bad, considering you are positive about the Zune80 sound quality.

Right!! I was surprised. Perhaps others would not think anything of it but for me it was enough of a difference to return the Zune 8 gig as I figured that I if I kept it, I would never use it. I have never heard other flash players but even my old Dell Pocket DJ has better sound than the Zune flash player. Maybe there was something wrong with that particular Zune 8 gig. I really do love the Zune 80 gig player--very clean and balanced.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, from what I've read on zune websites, the zune flash player doesn't sound as good as the zune80. Total bummer..

There you have it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Tstarn, how would you compare the Sony A816 and Zune80 sound quality wise?

Well, I like them both, but they are different. I like being able to do a little EQing now and again with the Sony, which I use for exercise (walking mainly). Funny, but the Sony matches up well with my Atrios precisely because I can bump the mids/highs a little for best SQ. But it also responds well with the PK3s unamped (plenty of power to drive either phone). I hardly ever use an amp with the Sony because it's really for portability. I like the Sony sound quality just fine, but I only use it on a limited basis.

With the Zune80, the sound is full, clean with a really good sound stage. I use the Zune80 mainly for traveling (planes, trains, noisy stuff) or around the house, hooked up to my home stereo systems as a source. With headphones, I typically use an amp with the Zune80, and match it up with the 716s and/or PK1s, or even the SR-80s.

I can tell you, I use the Zune80 with its base (from the home a/v kit) plugged into a Sonic Impact T-Amp (the $27 audio miracle) and a pair of old KLH speakers, circa 1964. The sound is really amazing, close to CD quality (I've done some sound testing). So the Zune fills that role too, home jukebox.

Not sure that helps much, but they play different roles in my listening experience.

If I had to choose, I'd take the Zune80 for its versatility and capacity. Based on SQ, I'd call it a draw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back