Zune 80g ; How many owners hear absolutely no(nada,zip,zero) drive spin-up noise using sensitive IEMs?
Aug 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Podtweaker

100+ Head-Fier
Having previously used flash players I may have mistakenly assumed that the slight drive noises that I hear before a track starts is the nature of all mini drive based players. Am I incorrect in this assumption. While the player does sound great amped & silent w/ phones I still want to know if dead silent players exist, because to my way of thinking less mechanical noise translates to less circuit noise . Whether this is true or not if the quiet units exist this one gets replaced. Thanks.

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 8
I hear a spin noise, but not necessarily while changing tracks. It'll happen maybe once when I initially boot the Zune up, but nowhere else.

In all honesty, I don't even notice spin noises. It doesn't occur during the music, and rarely between tracks for me to notice.

Aug 30, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having previously used flash players I may have mistakenly assumed that the slight drive noises that I hear before a track starts is the nature of all mini drive based players. Am I incorrect in this assumption. While the player does sound great amped & silent w/ phones I still want to know if dead silent players exist, because to my way of thinking less mechanical noise translates to less circuit noise . Whether this is true or not if the quiet units exist this one gets replaced. Thanks.

That's what that was! I didn't think about the drive when I heard that paculiar noise on my new 30GB Zune. I just figured all would be well and it would go away eventually. It seems to have gone away, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 8
My 30 is goofy quiet with my supersensitive UM2s. I've heard it once or twice in very quiet environments but it's no big deal.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the responses so far. It seems like everyone so far has heard something . It's still a small sampling so far but no one seems to think their player is out of spec. I also use UM2s but I've gone to using a portable amp & phones for comfort & soundstaging reasons(mainly comfort though). If you can remember I didn't ask if the noise was unobtrussive ,just if it existed at all. Are any of the other drive based players dead silent using the same criteria ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back