Zune 80 or Zen Vision M 60G
Feb 29, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #16 of 24
I own both a Zune80 and a ZVM 30GB, and while I prefer the Zune on balance, there are a couple of things to consider. The ZVM is true line out, but the Zune may not be, even with the dock, etc. When I plug the Zune into its AV dock, the volume control is still operational. That may indicate that you are not getting a true line out signal (it's somehow still looped through the DAP's amp?). Not the case with the ZVM, as someone pointed out. Use the dongle and/or dock, and the ZVM's volume control ceases to work.

Second, just yesterday I inadvertently pressed a little too hard on the Zune80's screen, and it made a pop sound, and now I have a windshield-like hairline crack running along two-thirds of the screen. So I am very bummed about the Zune, since I didn't drop or abuse it. I posted a warning about it to Zune owners on here. While glass looks great, this would not have happened with plastic. Someone said the same thing happened to some early Zune30s, so I am going to look into that as well.

I am calling MS this morning to try and see if the will issue an RMA for an exchange. Not sure what they are going to say. If they won't allow an exchange, I bought a case with a screen protector and hope the Zune screen stays intact. Of course, if MS says tough luck, I may not replace the Zune with another Zune, as durability will be on my mind.

On balance, even with the quirky software and no EQ, I prefer the Zune UI, SQ and 20GB space advantage. But that screen issue has me upset, unless of course MS does the right thing and replaces the Zune.

Feb 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 24
hey tstarn06,
how does the zune 80 and the sony A816 series compare which has the more accurate sound using same headphones, please reply i am really interested in purchasing one of these
thanks...

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 24
Big difference in price and capacity. But on balance, I prefer the Zune SQ over the Sony with my Sleek SA6 headphones (the main IEMs I use). Same with PK3s and SR-80s. The Zune has no EQ, so the Sony can be adjusted somewhat. But flat, no EQ, the Zune sound is wider, richer and overall better in my view. Others may disagree.

If you buy the Zune, be sure to read about the screen issue I had in this thread. Turned out for the best, I think, but I will never use my new Zune without some sort of protective cover any more. They are less durable than I expected. Sure, the glass doesn't scratch like plastic, but when it breaks, it's like a car windshield. And there are other who have had screen crack issues with the Zune. Just a warning. I did order a new one, but again, read the thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/wa...owners-301669/

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by syed786 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey tstarn06,
how does the zune 80 and the sony A816 series compare which has the more accurate sound using same headphones, please reply i am really interested in purchasing one of these
thanks...

I am going through this right now. I have the Zune 80 and the Sony 818 in my possession. I think they both sound great, but slightly different. The Zune seams more open and spacious which I like. The Sony is a little bassier and warmer and the voices are a little closer (in your head) which I also like.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #20 of 24
Wait I have the Zen Vision: M and I'm not sure what you guys are referring to about the line-out. Is that the that other port on the dongle? What's the difference between that and the headphone jack?

I was think about getting a Zune too...On amazon they have a dock 14 dollars. Does that do the same job?
Amazon.com: Zune Dock: Electronics

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait I have the Zen Vision: M and I'm not sure what you guys are referring to about the line-out. Is that the that other port on the dongle? What's the difference between that and the headphone jack?

I was think about getting a Zune too...On amazon they have a dock 14 dollars. Does that do the same job?
Amazon.com: Zune Dock: Electronics

You would only use the line out if you have an amplifier. What it does is bypass the internal amps to use an external amp of your choice. If the amp you buy is better, you should have better sound. Of course the downside is you are now carrying a bulkier unit. I choose to go ampless for my portables. On the ZVM, you would connect the ZVM to the Dongle to an interconnect to the exterior amp to your headphones. If you don't have and amp, the headphone out is the only real choice.

Hope that helps
Greg

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #22 of 24
re Blackburn ... I've posted this numerous places (and that Zune dock at Amazon is a great deal, FYI). I have the Zune AV dock, and even using it, the volume control is still operational. So I do not believe the Zune offers a true lineout option. It's still tied to the HP out somehow. The ZVM, on the other hand, when using the white thing (called a dongle) connected to an amp (as GregBe notes) is a true line out option, cause the ZVM's volume control is no longer in play.

I read that some third-party folks, like ALO, are trying to make lineout ICs for both the Zune AND the Sony DAPS, but they are having problems getting technical data from the respective companies. Also, there may be a way to bypass the internal amp using software/firmware updates, not sure.

Anyway, yes, you can boost your HP out sound using an amp and the ZVM white thingie.

And even without a lineout, the Zune does respond to amping, though not as dramatically as the ZVM in my view.

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #23 of 24
thanks for the explanations guys!

I was thinking of gettin a new mp3 player. What is a good upgrade from the ZVM that includes a true line-out

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #24 of 24
There are brands like Kenwood, iRiver and others mentioned, if you are looking for a HD player. And there are Creative DAPs, like the Zen, which is up to 32GB in a flash drive. I've only owned Creatives and the Zune and Sony. My daughter has an iPod, but my guess is that's not what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back