Zune 8 Doesn't Play MP3 Gaplessly
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Agent69

100+ Head-Fier
One of the reasons the Zune 8 was a purchase option for me is that it now supports gapless playback with version 2.5 of its software/firmware. So I bought one and have been very happy with it until two days ago, when I finally got around to listening to a concert album and discovered that my MP3s do not play gaplessly on the Zune.

I though that it might have something to do with the fact I use VBR MP3s, so I created some CBR test tracks and the gaps remained. After doing some searching on Google and reading through some Zune related forums, it appears that gapless playback is only supported when using the WMA format.

I am a bit disappointed with this, as I really like my Zune 8 otherwise, but for me gapless playback is a must have. Anyway, I just wanted to post this in case anyone else is considering the Zune.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 21
It's not true that gapless is only supported for WMA, I've personally heard MP3s play gaplessly, and I've read accounts for both MP3 and AAC playing gaplessly. I thought the same thing when the feature was first released, but it turned out to be an encoding issue, everything I've tried encoded with recent versions of LAME has played back gapless.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 21
Hope so as I just ordered a Zune 80 for the car w/the car kit. Even if it's not gapless I'm still gonna' be patient as the Zune seems to be coming along nicely.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, no Zune is able to play anything gapless. Sorry....

They've had gapless since the 2.5 update at the beginning of May.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm using 3.97, the version recommended by Hydrogenaudio. And like I said, I tried both VBR and CBR MP3 files and still had a gap. However, these files play fine on Foobar2K and my wife's iPod Nano.

Personally, I will be buying an iPod this week. The only other player I like are the new Sony players and from what I have read, they don't offer gapless playback.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not too broken up about all this. I'm filling up my Zune 8 pretty quickly, so a 16GB or 32GB iPod Touch would be nice right about now. And at least I'll have a line out option with the iPod.

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 21
Don't know why it's not working, good luck with the iPod.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 21
my zune plays mp3 gapless fine. it is a zune80.

i encode my mp3 with media monkey, VBR 192kb with no max or min bit rate limit, 0 version (slowest)

it is quite perfectly gapless like 95% of the time. sometimes it does hiccup.

i dont mind so far.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 21
I'm glad to hear that it is working for you IdiotekniQues. It most be something odd that is causing it to happen because some people have the problem while others don't.

Maybe using a lower average bitrate would fix the problem? I'll give that a try.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #12 of 21
Mine is a Zune 8. Plays gapless.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 21
I went to my local Apple Store and bought an iPod Nano (green of course) and now my tracks play fine.

Vranswer: what format are using using for your audio files and if they are MP3, how are you creating them.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 21
are you using EAC for ripping ?

Jun 30, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 21
i listen to a lot of dj sets so gapless is a big deal for me. id be ticked if it didnt work for sure.

try rippin a cd with different settings and see if it helps just to know. use media monkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back