Zune (1st gen) vs 1G Shuffle SQ
Oct 5, 2007 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tem

100+ Head-Fier
Which do you guys think is better considering these are really good DAP's to most people here?

I owned both and now I only own a Zune and would have to say it beats the shuffle hands down.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 14
try it with the acoustic setting off.

straight out of the jack, with no filtering applied.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats ur point?
if i do that then i like the ipod sound more, more umph

well, there's your answer. i said that because if you look at the $10,000 cable challenge, (not pears, previous challenge), the man that began the challenge would adjust things so that they sounded alike, thus leveling the playing field, and negating the ability to tell things apart. since adding an EQ, you are modifying the sound in an uncontrolled way. that is, unless both the shuffle and the zune EQ are identical.
wait, wait, wait, i have completely lost my original thought process, and your original comment.
the short version, is that by changing the EQ, it's not a controlled experiment.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I mean everything except something like the Kenwood players. Not a Zune. Zunes don't sound that good.

I guess there's no accounting for taste.
No, I'm kidding. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

May I ask what type of headphones you've used to listen to a Zune, sir?

I really gotta get ahold of one of these Kenwood players I keep hearing so much about.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess there's no accounting for taste.
No, I'm kidding. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

May I ask what type of headphones you've used to listen to a Zune, sir?

I really gotta get ahold of one of these Kenwood players I keep hearing so much about.

Atrio M5's. My T9 beats the Zune.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

That's interesting...I also own the T9 and I clearly prefer the Zune.
T9 is a little bit more dynamic and colored, but in a way which hinders the quality of music from time to time.
Also gives a lot more hiss on sensitive headphones/IEMs.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

I only listened briefly with my SF5P's, but I agree. I felt the T9 has a fullness that the Zune doesn't quite have.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's interesting...I also own the T9 and I clearly prefer the Zune.
T9 is a little bit more dynamic and colored, but in a way which hinders the quality of music from time to time.
Also gives a lot more hiss on sensitive headphones/IEMs.

I get zero hiss on my T9 with the Atrios so its not a problem at all for me. I put them on a friends Zune and listened to a bunch of his music. I didn't like the sound too much. It sounded good, but "colder" than my T9. I use a flat eq on my T9 and checked to see if he had something going on with his but it was flat as well.

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

I get zero hiss on my T9 with the Atrios so its not a problem at all for me. I put them on a friends Zune and listened to a bunch of his music. I didn't like the sound too much. It sounded good, but "colder" than my T9. I use a flat eq on my T9 and checked to see if he had something going on with his but it was flat as well.

Yes the T9 sounds more dynamic. A little too overboard for my taste, though.
And the Atrios are 32Ohm right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back